Future BTW Server

A place to talk to other users about the mod.

Should I create a new world upon BTW Multiplayer release?

Yes
84%
No
16%

Total votes: 38
LJEKadeshi

Future BTW Server

Post by LJEKadeshi »

So although I believe a public anarchy BTW server would be fun when BTW works with multiplayer, I personally prefer working together with people. I'm curious if anyone else would like a Co-operative BTW multiplayer server when support comes out, and if so how many people would like to join as I have a computer with constant internet access and could host a server that could support 20 people at a time, but I can also upgrade my computer if need be so more people can play.

Feel free to post your thoughts and ideas.
Last edited by LJEKadeshi on Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AddyBaha

Re: Future BTW Server

Post by AddyBaha »

sounds cool i would like to join

as an sugestion u should post something like future server rules (e.g. would people
absolutly shouldnt do: - since it will be co-op griefing
- stealing
maby should do: - something like being active at least so and so often
- torture wolves...

stuff like this

ingame name is the same as in forum

AddyBaha
MagikEh wrote:Placent Placenta Placenta! It's like beetle juice right?
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

LJEKadeshi wrote:So although I believe a public anarchy BTW server would be fun when BTW works with multiplayer, I personally prefer working together with people. I'm curious if anyone else would like a Co-operative BTW multiplayer server when support comes out, and if so how many people would like to join as I have a computer with constant internet access and could host a server that could support 20 people at a time, but I can also upgrade my computer if need be so more people can play.

Feel free to post your thoughts and ideas.
You should host a Vanilla server now. I'm sure if you get it going and people see it being ran well they'll definitely jump on board for a reset when BTW goes MP.

That being said, I'd play on your vanilla now if you set it up and don't run it terribly like 90% of servers.
Blazara

Post by Blazara »

I'd love to be involved in something like this! Would be fantastic to bounce off other people's ideas and really push BTW contraptions to their limits!

IGN: Blazara
Blazara wrote: I, am a BETTERTHANwolfaboo.
obl1terat1ion

Post by obl1terat1ion »

Sounds sweet sign me up!

IGN:obl1terat1ion
FlowerChild wrote:Can't make an omelet without blowing up a few chickens.
LJEKadeshi

Post by LJEKadeshi »

If I do run a vanilla server I will run it with Bukkit so any suggestions for plugins I should use would be highly appreciated. I already have worldedit and worldguard, but don't know if any others would be good/useful.
Also if the server is continued up unto the time BTW goes multiplayer should I do a world reset or let people continute with supplies they have already gathered?
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

LJEKadeshi wrote:If I do run a vanilla server I will run it with Bukkit so any suggestions for plugins I should use would be highly appreciated. I already have worldedit and worldguard, but don't know if any others would be good/useful.
Also if the server is continued up unto the time BTW goes multiplayer should I do a world reset or let people continute with supplies they have already gathered?
I always like mapping plugins, but I'd not overdo it with plugins, definitely no gameplay changing ones (like skills or whatever). When I ran a server there was a lot of people who liked the store plugin we had, which let people set arbitrary prices for their personally gathered goods, then you could spend that money on other peoples stores. I know you wanted co-op but you will get players that want to work on their own project but interact wither other players in a peaceful way like selling the stuff they've mined, which could be really fun. The problem is I'm not sure how this would all work with BTW multiplayer, you don't want a critical part of your server gameplay to go away.

Also, I'd say DEFINITELY reset, and make it clear that you're going to do that when it happens, so there isn't any problems.
AddyBaha

Post by AddyBaha »

LJEKadeshi wrote:If I do run a vanilla server I will run it with Bukkit so any suggestions for plugins I should use would be highly appreciated. I already have worldedit and worldguard, but don't know if any others would be good/useful.
The first thinks you have to do when you satrt a btw-world are gathering a good amount of hemp, cows and dung.
If you let us continue the world we will have leather, but still have to inatily collect hemp and dung to start with mechanical power.
On the other hand many of vmc-automations can't keep up with good btw-automations so many buildings would probably be re designed if let us keep the world.
The time used for this i think would be nearly the time needed to get a good start in a new world so i think it dosen't really metter what you'll do (at least for me).
Maby you should at a poll to this topic?
Nielmor

Post by Nielmor »

I would be willing to join when the BTW part starts, being able to build contraptions and automated systems with other people being very fun, I can already see a community XP farm to help people get enchants before they set up their own XP farm
Yleia

Post by Yleia »

I'm interested as well in an co-op btw server !

Please count me in, IGN = "Yleia".
th3m1ner

Post by th3m1ner »

Sounds fun! I have never played smp due to btw being not multiplayer, so I am excited :)

IGN: th3m1ner
Last edited by th3m1ner on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

LJEKadeshi AddyBaha, what sort of specs does your machine have? Is it connected at your house? 20 people uses quite a bit of bandwidth.

Edit - Wrong person
Last edited by Mason11987 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AddyBaha

Post by AddyBaha »

Mason11987 wrote:AddyBaha, what sort of specs does your machine have? Is it connected at your house? 20 people uses quite a bit of bandwidth.
I think you wanted to ask LJEKadeshi or did I sound like i would be able to host a server? if so sorry wasn't meant that way
LJEKadeshi

Post by LJEKadeshi »

So I am having a lot of trouble with getting the server to work with my normal IP address, would people be ok if I made it with Hamachi? For now it would only be vanilla of course.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

LJEKadeshi wrote:So I am having a lot of trouble with getting the server to work with my normal IP address, would people be ok if I made it with Hamachi? For now it would only be vanilla of course.
Have you forwarded the port minecraft uses?
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

LJEKadeshi wrote:So I am having a lot of trouble with getting the server to work with my normal IP address, would people be ok if I made it with Hamachi? For now it would only be vanilla of course.
You sure you have a machine that could host 20 people? Setting up something like that is far more complicated then simply forwarding a port. What specs does it have?

Let us know where you're having a problem setting up the server, hamachi is never necessary if you are running a legitimate version of the game, and it causes more lag then necessary.
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

count me in =]
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
dillingerk

Post by dillingerk »

I would love to join your server, vmc or btw.
IGN:Dillin
LJEKadeshi

Post by LJEKadeshi »

Mason11987 wrote:
LJEKadeshi wrote:-snip
First of all thanks for the response, I have set my computer up to devote 16 gb of ram to the server, however for some reason no matter what I do I am having trouble setting up the port as I have no experience in port forwarding, and I am having trouble understanding the ones I have been reading on Google (I'm actually fairly good with computers), so if someone could perhaps add me on Skype, or pm me a simple way to forward the port I would highly appreciate it thanks.
razar51

Post by razar51 »

I'm all for it, been dreaming of a multiplayer BTW server for quite some time now
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

If you are having issues joining your server when it is running, your router is most likely not forwarding incoming connections to your bukkit client/pc.

--

Anarchy vs Co-op. - This can quite easily be done with the "multiverse" plugin. This will allow you to setup a 2nd world. That's how I have done it on Edolas, simply setup a 2nd world for Anarchy play, which allows the 1st world for Co-op "safe" play.

In regards to the reset; That kinda depends on the members of your server at the time, Whether they want to restart it or not. On the one hand it would be fun to restart completely and work your way back up through the process/tech trees, but you would lose all the progress players have made (buildings created, etc.)

On the other hand, it would be a shame to lose all the progress your made, and could be fun to adept buildings you have to BTW. That would mean skipping a lot of the tech trees though, as players will have their resources ready for mass production of stuff.

It's all up to you in the end. :P I intend to simply ask those that still reside on Edolas what they want, and accommodating them accordingly.
Fozzel

Post by Fozzel »

LJEKadeshi wrote:First of all thanks for the response, I have set my computer up to devote 16 gb of ram to the server, however for some reason no matter what I do I am having trouble setting up the port as I have no experience in port forwarding, and I am having trouble understanding the ones I have been reading on Google (I'm actually fairly good with computers), so if someone could perhaps add me on Skype, or pm me a simple way to forward the port I would highly appreciate it thanks.
16 GB is WAY more than you need for a fairly small vanilla server. That could probably handle 100 players at once without any problems. If I were you I'd just give it 4GB so you can use the rest yourself. You can always increase it later if need be.
BrynEM

Post by BrynEM »

I would like a place on your server and will you be adding any other mods to it.
IGN BrynEM
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

Yeah I'm not the anarchy guy either. I'd defineatly play on a not so hostile (pure) btw server if there were one. My problem with anarchy is that I have this weird thing going where I move for 1 to 3 ingame days into one direction and start building weird shit like growing a large garden/forest, putting a wall around it and every time, w/o fail, after a few days some asshat burns it down (back when fire spread infinitly often crashing the server multiple times.. to the point where they had to fix it with mcedit :P).

Edit: I really hate servers though that use weird mods/plugins that limit where you can build, annoy you with having to buy materials in other "dimensions" and what not.
LJEKadeshi

Re: Future BTW Server in need of master

Post by LJEKadeshi »

Due to the fact I will be moving to school in fall, and my school has God-awful internet, and my computer will be coming with me, the server is no longer an option unfortunately.

Lock please.