What do you use Cement for?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
RenEvo

What do you use Cement for?

Post by RenEvo »

I don't see a lot of YouTube people using cement, what do you use it for?

The only time I have really used it was to test it out and see how far it spread (holy shit btw), past that, I can't think of a use.
FlowerChild wrote:Version 3.49 of Better Than Wolves
-Added ability for villagers to toss the milk.
YouTube | Twitch
HavokSCOUT

Re: What do you use Cement for?

Post by HavokSCOUT »

I've used it to build smooth stone walls quickly, and it can be used as a smooth stone farm or in griefing purposes as it displaces any redstone it contacts.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
ThatOneDude

Post by ThatOneDude »

Okay, one, congrats on going green! :D
However, two, I mainly use it for filling in large areas of smooth stone when I need to do so. I think that's really the only main use.
Quality comes before quantity.
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

I used once to fill a 5x5 a shaft that i didn't align correctly in my mine to keep my base symmetrical. But I dont usually use it for building, as i prefeer the use of stone bricks for walls and stone slabs, sandstone and wood for flooring
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I've used it to quickly pave over areas containing shallow water or lava in the past.

I do think it's the least well integrated aspect of BTW however. I keep an eye out for good places to fit it in, but I don't want to adopt an unnatural solution just to give it a home, so I just kind of leave it lingering in the background until a better opportunity presents itself.

It was one of the first six features I planned for the original mod, so I didn't really have a concept of an overall tech-tree for the mod back then, so for now it just remains a fun little aside that people can play around with and potentially make use of in very specific situations.
King Of Midgard
Location: Montgomery St., Chicopee, Massachusetts, United States of America

Post by King Of Midgard »

Well, I use cement for many things. I build inverted mountains of cement. I use it in a trap system to protect my front door from goddamn creeprs, I use it in making bridges, and dams. I use it to abuse inoocent wildlife. I use it to "petrify" trees. I just make my self use it so as to say "Cement is useful."
It has saved my life on a few occasions too.
Last edited by King Of Midgard on Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is not a signature. It's an epitaph.
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

King Of Midgard wrote:It has saved my life on a few occasions too.
Oh, do tell. Sounds like an interesting story.
King Of Midgard
Location: Montgomery St., Chicopee, Massachusetts, United States of America

Post by King Of Midgard »

Well, Occasion 1, I was running from a horde of creepers with nothing but a wood sword on me. I run by one of my test using cement, and flip the switch. It lets the cement set creating a house outline. I then sealed the entrance with dirt. Insta house :D.
Occasion 2, stuck in middle of lava lake, on 1 by 1 block of smooth stone. Using cement i made an escape bridge.
This is not a signature. It's an epitaph.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Since the pigman spawning mechanic was introduced that's pretty much all I've used it for.~
Although I might clear out a space and try building a pyramid.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

I've been building a series of hollow descending cylinders from the nether ceiling directly over the lava seas. Havn't spent much time in the nether because of overworld projects though. Anyway the ghasts hate it, it fks up their flight paths. But i don't have to correct for projectile drop as i tend to be shooting downward at the top of their heads.

Maybe i should just build gravity defying cobblewalkways and pillar up but that ruins the fun of minecraft to me. Pouring cement molds and trying to prevent asymmetries is a little more interesting then point click stick.

1st few attempts when i began experimenting with cement.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/13989288@N ... otostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13989288@N ... /lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13989288@N ... otostream/
DIG_down

Post by DIG_down »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:-Nether awesomeness-
That looks really cool man, sort of like the beginning of a man-made nether fortress, you've given me some good ideas....if only i liked the nether xD
FlowerChild wrote:
Sarudak wrote:Not to mention he posted an idea in the stop posting ideas thread right after he came back from a ban for posting ideas....
+1
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

DIG_down wrote:
Kazuya Mishima wrote:-Nether awesomeness-
That looks really cool man, sort of like the beginning of a man-made nether fortress, you've given me some good ideas....if only i liked the nether xD
Yeah, why build on the base of the nether floor when you can build from the ceiling. The nether was always hell to navigate on foot so i tend to always rush upward upon entering the nether and relocate my first portal somewhere in the ceiling.

Just reemember the when you pour that stuff the origin point of the pour will generate the most amount of cement blocks beneath it then more distant regions of cement that happen to pour into empty space. The larger the room the more buckets of cement you'll want and the further away from the center of the room you'll want to pour the cement origin.
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

Paving roads, that's about it.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

For as long as I've played BTW, I've never used cement in a legit survival world, beyond testing it out when it was first added (Was it in the original 6? I could've swore it was added a bit later). I think part of it is that it takes a full inventory space for 1 cement bucket, when you can just grab a stack of smoothstone. I guess the cost is just prohibitively high, considering it just creates stone. That said, it is very fun to create massive cement superstructures. Makes castle walls easy as hell, too :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I haven't really used cement for anything seriously yet but using them for construction in the nether seems like a really good idea!
DIG_down

Post by DIG_down »

I just thought of a cool way I can use cement!
I'm working on making an underwater base and so far the way i've been making my buildings is just making the whole thing out of dirt then hollowing it out and replacing the walls/ceiling etc with the desired material, its slow and boring. But with cement I may be able to just build the walls then fill it with cement. ...but even while typing this i'm remembering why i use dirt because its faster to dig out, stone, not so much....well i'll give it a try anyways
FlowerChild wrote:
Sarudak wrote:Not to mention he posted an idea in the stop posting ideas thread right after he came back from a ban for posting ideas....
+1
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Just went back to the nether and played with cement some more and it occured to me if you build directly over the middle of a lava sea would far away from netherrack surfaces pigman could spawn wouldn't you maximize pig man spawning ? I don't knwo the relevant ranges so have no idea if you would have to get a very large magma sea.

Also if i recall correctly when you release lava as long as you power it it stays liquified. As it spreads the non-source lava will, if cut off from the source lava by some block , transform into smoothstone. The source block will still remain liquid. I'm assuming you could use one bucket of cement to generate infinite smoothstone as long as your mechanism allowed cement to continually pour then block it from the redstone signal in a cycle.
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

I usually use it for paving over my nether. Industry-in-a-bucket ftw!
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

It's handy for making pigmen spawners, sure but mostly I use it to convert forests into sprawling industrial complexes.
Better is the enemy of Good