Oh wow...I just blew up a Cauldron

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Oh wow...I just blew up a Cauldron

Post by FlowerChild »

This is the first time this has ever happened to me accidentally. I didn't see it happen, but I suspect I accidentally dumped gunpowder into it.

Thought you guys might like to know that I've been hoisted on my own petard :)
BinoAl

Re: Oh wow...I just blew up a Cauldron

Post by BinoAl »

Hah. Awesome. :)
Also, shouldn't this be in btw discussion? :p
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, perhaps you're right :)
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

So was the cauldron just set up with a mob farm, or did you literally put gunpowder into it? :p
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Oh. I didn't even know gunpowder did it too. The only time I ever did it was when i misread the recipe for redstone in the cauldron thinking it included hellfire dust... :-/
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

After reconstructing the area (was just a small blast) and doing a forensic analysis, I think this is what happened:

I often climb through the area that the sluices coming off my mob-trap occupy. They filter and redirect the various outputs to different areas for processing.

When I do so, I often accidentally grab items going through the sluices, and I just chuck them back in to clear my inventory. I think what I did was accidentally throw gunpowder back in, but AFTER the wicker filter that normally extracts it. It then got sent off to my rendering area where the rotten flesh and such normally goes.

Wow. Nailed by my own emergent behavior. I'm impressed :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Oh. I didn't even know gunpowder did it too. The only time I ever did it was when i misread the recipe for redstone in the cauldron thinking it included hellfire dust... :-/
Yeah, I added a variety of explosive ingredients into the mix awhile ago, as well as making it apply to both the Stewing Pot and Crucible.

I also scale the blast relative to the amount of explosive material the vessel contains, so luckily in this case it wasn't like a full-out Hellfire-dust meltdown, and only took out the immediately surrounding blocks (flooding the circuitry underneath due to the water-flow over the cauldron mind you).
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Fuck! It just blew again (I heard the blast this time)! Ok, I've obviously got a problem in my filtration system :)
DIG_down

Post by DIG_down »

Have you been hanging around too many mirrors? Perhaps your projected malevolence is reflecting back at you ;)
Also, I somehow can't help but feel like this is a hint about future features...
FlowerChild wrote:
Sarudak wrote:Not to mention he posted an idea in the stop posting ideas thread right after he came back from a ban for posting ideas....
+1
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

It sounds awful, but you've gotta be lovin' it, FC. Not often that one's own creation surprises them.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

No, it's not a hint. Was just hanging out in my base working on a wheat-farm when this all came down.

I do just play the game too you know ;)
Ulfengaard wrote:It sounds awful, but you've gotta be lovin' it, FC. Not often that one's own creation surprises them.
Hehe...indeed, although looking at it now, I'm beginning to get a hunch this has to do with something else entirely, as I also just found gundpowder in a chest where I direct slime-balls and ink sacks.

My mob-trap got a huge boost in efficiency as of late with the changes I've made, and I have stacks of item entities piling up in certain locations as a result. I've seen it before where if there are too many items in the world, some of them stop getting properly updated by MC (probably a form of load balancing). So what I think is happening is that occasionally my world is getting overloaded, and the gunpowder is passing right over the Wicker filter as a result.

I'm going to try modifying my mob trap to dump excess items into fire to see if it clears it up.
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

Sarudak wrote:Oh. I didn't even know gunpowder did it too. The only time I ever did it was when i misread the recipe for redstone in the cauldron thinking it included hellfire dust... :-/
There's a recipe for redstone in the Cauldron!?
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

filament.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Urian

Post by Urian »

Or the recipe to synthesize redstone.

I can't help but imagine there will be several incidents involving stoked cauldrons/crucibles and exploding ingredients on the anarchy server. After all, why destroy someone else when you can get them to destroy themselves :D
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

What's the recipe, Urian?
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
Urian

Post by Urian »

Sorry, it's in the crucible (I've never actually used it myself).

1 Gold Ingot + 9 Concentrated Hellfire -> 63 Redstone Dust
1 Gold Nugget + 1 Concentrated Hellfire -> 7 Redstone Dust
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

Not stoked, I assume ;)
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Oh no, definitely not stoked :)

I made the mistake once, when I put the concentrated hellfire dust in the wrong cauldron... which was close enough to the unstoked cauldron to blow that one up too. I think I threw about 3 stacks of hellfire dust in... hehe, yeah, that village never looked quite the same after that.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
DIG_down

Post by DIG_down »

FlowerChild wrote:I do just play the game too you know ;)
I don't see that being possible. When I think of FlowerChild "playing" minecraft i have this vision of a villain rubbing his hands together, grinning maniacally, and scheming "How shall I get them this time?"
Like so
Except where he has a wicked mustache would be your glorious goatee. Plus it was a good opportunity to use the words future feature...just say it aloud, sexy right?
FlowerChild wrote:
Sarudak wrote:Not to mention he posted an idea in the stop posting ideas thread right after he came back from a ban for posting ideas....
+1
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

It turns out that, when one is tired, they can read "Concentrated Hellfire" and add the "Dust" at the end voluntarily. I then proceeded to aid said dust into the stoke crucible, all 63 of of them :[ Good thing it was only in my test world
EDIT: Since when Was RenEvo a Turtle/ Placenta/ Space Monkey? Congrats, dude!
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, I think it was the item build-up that was causing this. I changed around my storage systems to have an overflow that directs into lava, and have been letting it run for an extended period without any gunpowder making its way through. I also directed surplus XP orbs into lava-pits as well just to be on the safe-side. I'll eventually get around to expanding my storage system to be able to accommodate the increased output from my trap, but for now this seems to work just fine.

Anyways, something for other players to keep in mind: if you get an insane entity build-up, it may result in Hoppers not properly filtering items. Hopefully Jeb's upcoming changes to cause individual item entities to bunch together into stacks will greatly reduce the likelihood of this kind of thing happening, and if he doesn't do it himself, I'll be sure to take a look into doing the same with XP orbs.

Honestly, I'm kinda disappointed that this was the result of a technical issue rather than my own in-game fuck up. I was quite enjoying the thought that my own error had caused this :)
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

That is funny. I think that shows the quality of the mod, that even its own creator can be surprised.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

The epic of the exploding Cauldron continues!

So, after setting up the item-dumps I talked about, everything seemed fine.

I was just taking a nice peaceful elevator ride to the surface from my underground lair, when once again, "Boom!", quickly followed by a loud "WTF?!!!!"

So, I put my thinking cap on. I mentioned I was working on a wheat farm yes? Well, that's for an automated cow farm which I'm hooking up to my old passive mob-trap that was featured in my old "Factory Farm" video.

I tunneled into the side of my factory farm a short while ago, and directed the cows in there via water-flow so that they could go straight into the grinder and filters I already had setup for passive mobs.

The thing is, when I tunneled into the side of that passive trap, I had forgotten that I had a small water accident which went down into the floor below. Remembering this and following a hunch, I went to investigate that floor, and it turns out that a few torches were displaced, turning one small corner of one single floor into a very tiny aggro-mob spawn area.

So, my current theory is: every once in a very long while, a Creeper would spawn there, go into my passive mob-trap filtration system (which isn't setup to handle powders since passive mobs don't spawn them), and the resulting gunpowder would head off to my cauldron for some explosive "fun".

Jesus H Christ. Guess it was my fault after-all. Yay! :)
orangeweaver

Post by orangeweaver »

Lmao. Well congratulations for being out-smarted by your own mod for just a tiny bit today haha. XD

I accidently broke my zombie grinder that I set up to collect drops and collect dragon orbs today when I was working on expanding my hemp and sugar cane farms ... it had less explosive consequences but had me wondering why I heard zombies dying and nothing was coming down the chutes.
skrat6009

Post by skrat6009 »

See, that's why I keep each of my farms and their outputs going to different cauldrons/crucibles. The extra effort it takes to add more mechanical power and whatnot is outweighed by the fact that I know I don't have to filter as much. Earlier today actually, I wasn't sure what would happen if you put gunpowder into a stoked crucible so I went to a test world a stuck a stack in and had quite a large explosion. I had a hunch it would not go well but I had no idea that the effect would scale. I foresee some nuke sized explosions with LOTS of stacks of gunpowder in a single crucible. That would be one way to give someone a REALLY bad day.