New Release! (BTW V3.70)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V3.70)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 3.70 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added a new variety of XP orb that is dropped from mobs and animals when they are slain by something other than the player. These "Dragon Orbs" may not be picked up by the player, and require additional processing to be useful.

-Added the ability to filter Dragon Orbs using a soul sand filter in the Hopper, which will convert them into regular XP orbs. Note that regular XP orbs can also be collected by a Hopper containing a soul sand filter.

-Added the ability to use iron bars as a Hopper filter. These will allow items that can be stacked to pass through, while leaving those that can't behind. As with other filters, blocks can not pass through either.

-Added stoked Stewing Pot recipe to render down bows into string and sticks (2 of each...it's not lossless).

-Added some "interesting" effects to Soulforged Steel Armor that I'll leave it to you to discover. However, I will say that one of these changes involves increased effect to a particular kind of enchantment.

-Changed vanilla animal and monster AI so that they will wander regardless of the range to the player. This effectively fixes Mob traps being disabled with distance (assuming the corresponding chunks aren't unloaded).

-Changed Mining Charges so that they convert cobble stone (in both block and item form) into gravel when they detonate.

-Changed vanilla behavior so that rare drops can spawn from mobs on death regardless of what kills them. In other words, you don't have to kill them yourself to get the rare drops.

-Changed the Tanned Leather Armor, Breeding Harness, Dynamite, and Tuning Fork item textures to have a bit of visual noise so that they look a bit better, and fit in more with other game textures.

-Changed the way the Sterwing Pot & Crucible work internally so that their recipes can have multiple outputs instead of being limited to just producing 1 item type. The bow conversion recipe in this release is an example of what I mean. This will have additional uses in the future, makes for some more interesting crafting functionality, and further serves to differentiate the functionality of these devices from their vanilla crafting counterparts.

-Changed the size of the bounding box on XP orbs so that they'll fit through tight spaces when channeling them with water-flow. They now have the same size collision box as items do.

-Changed (optimized) the vanilla code for XP orbs being drawn towards the player to offset the cost of having more of them in the environment due to other changes in this release.

-Changed (refactored) the way the Pottery code works for when it is spun on the Turntable both to simplify and to provide a standard interface for crafting on the Turntable for the upcoming mod API.

-Changed the sound effect on Hoppers when they are opened and closed.

-Fixed the way the Composite Bow renders in third person so that the player appears to be drawing it.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Flesh_Engine

Re: New Release! (BTW V3.70)

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Pretty cool :)

Elegant solution for the cobble => gravel thing!
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

I feel like I must stop all other activities and start playing BTW now, university be damned.... Must.. resist....
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Sweet awesomeness this is totally awesome!!!
Changed Mining Charges so that they convert cobble stone (in both block and item form) into gravel when they detonate.
I must ask though... Did you take this from my suggestion or did I just exactly predict what you had planned???
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

*squee!*

Do dragon orbs mean this is the kind of xp that the Ender Dragon noms?
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote: I must ask though... Did you take this from my suggestion or did I just exactly predict what you had planned???
Nah. That was actually one of the features I originally intended for Mining Charges, but just never got around to. Your post did remind me it was on my todo list though :)
RenEvo

Post by RenEvo »

Nice....

Must test the xp gathering bits, very excited about that :)

Crap... now I need to figure out if I need to wait for BTB to update...
FlowerChild wrote:Version 3.49 of Better Than Wolves
-Added ability for villagers to toss the milk.
YouTube | Twitch
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

FC, cool update! :)
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

Oh man oh man! Time to get started on a BTW XP farm. And I friggin' love the name Dragon Orbs :D
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: Nah. That was actually one of the features I originally intended for Mining Charges, but just never got around to. Your post did remind me it was on my todo list though :)
Guess it's just a case of great minds thinking alike. ;)

One question. Can I install this if I have BTB or do I need to wait for gil to do his next release?
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

RenEvo wrote:Crap... now I need to figure out if I need to wait for BTB to update...
As far as I know usually you don't have to, unless the BTW version is for a newer version of MC of course
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Omg, omg, omg, omg. It HAS BEGUN!

*hyperventilates*

Thanks, FC. As always: awesomesauce.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
Arandia

Post by Arandia »

Heh, damn. And here was I thinking I was going to get some sleep tonight. I have a whole new resource path to automate now :-/. Why, FC, why??
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehe...now I just sit back and wait for the screams of horror and dismay :)

For BTB, I'll always state up front if I do anything that might break it with a new release. Should be perfectly safe (just remember to reinstall BTB again on top after installing BTW).
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Arandia wrote:Heh, damn. And here was I thinking I was going to get some sleep tonight. I have a whole new resource path to automate now :-/. Why, FC, why??
Actually, two resources paths. No sleep for you! :)

Whereas I normally reserve major version number increments (like 3.6 to 3.7) for the addition of new blocks and such, in this case the implications of this release are significant enough in combination, that I figured it was worth bumping the number ;)
HighMongrel

Post by HighMongrel »

Nice, a more reliable way for me to xp grind, though I thought the xp orbs already had the same bounding box. Were they unable to fit under half slabs? I see myself wasting many of the levels gained from this on my soulforged steel armor though. Unless I get lucky of course and you made aquatic helms have unlimited breath or something. Gonna see if BTB will work with the new version.
Dry Paratroopa

Post by Dry Paratroopa »

So this means... Gravel is now a (mostly) renewable resource! And because of that, so are sand and glass! Sure, it's a bit complicated to get, but still.

And with the new and better way to get xp, we can use it to find out what new stuff our soul-infused clothes can do! Woop.

Also, I couldn't post this for a few minutes due to all of the replies this was getting -_-.
Both the Colosseum of the past and the Hunger Games of the (supposed) future stem from the fact that life is simply a competition to see who can live the longest.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

HighMongrel wrote:Nice, a more reliable way for me to xp grind, though I thought the xp orbs already had the same bounding box. Were they unable to fit under half slabs? I see myself wasting many of the levels gained from this on my soulforged steel armor though. Unless I get lucky of course and you made aquatic helms have unlimited breath or something. Gonna see if BTB will work with the new version.
Yeah, the main problem with XP orbs was that they would get jammed up on Saws. When I checked, it turned out that their collision volume was twice the size as that of items (actually, 8 times...each dimension was twice the size...you know what I mean).
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...now I just sit back and wait for the screams of horror and dismay :)

For BTB, I'll always state up front if I do anything that might break it with a new release. Should be perfectly safe (just remember to reinstall BTB again on top after installing BTW).
Good to know. Sorry I'm a BTB noob. I actually have one other question. I was wondering why you allowed mining charges to convert cobble in item form to gravel? It seems this would discourage automation of the process. Instead of having to set up a complicated machine to convert cobble to gravel with expensive mining charges all I need to do is fill my inventory with cobble (from a cobble gen) throw it all in a pit and use one mining charge on it... Is that intended?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote: Good to know. Sorry I'm a BTB noob. I actually have one other question. I was wondering why you allowed mining charges to convert cobble in item form to gravel? It seems this would discourage automation of the process. Instead of having to set up a complicated machine to convert cobble to gravel with expensive mining charges all I need to do is fill my inventory with cobble (from a cobble gen) throw it all in a pit and use one mining charge on it... Is that intended?
Actually, you're absolutely right. The item thing was a last-minute addition because I was thinking of the stone first breaking into cobble then into gravel, then disappearing as you used a series of mining charges in the same spot while mining. I hadn't consider the ramifications with regards to automation :|

Note to self: don't make last minute changes to a planned design :)

Will fix that for the next release. Thanks for pointing it out.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: Actually, you're absolutely right. The item thing was a last-minute addition because I was thinking of the stone first breaking into cobble then into gravel, then disappearing as you used a series of mining charges in the same spot while mining. I hadn't consider the ramifications with regards to automation :|

Note to self: don't make last minute changes to a planned design :)

Will fix that for the next release. Thanks for pointing it out.
Cool. I figured that's what you were thinking when you put it in. I on the other hand was thinking as the exploitative player who wants the most gravel for the least effort in a quest to destroy my own fun. ;)
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

I have a couple mob spawners - and I'm not seeing the dragon orbs just yet. It may have something to do with optifine, but just so you have the details: One spawner kills the mobs via lava, so I thought maybe the lava was burning up the orbs. But my saw based one also doesn't seem be producing dragon orbs, either. I'll try without optifine and report back
RenEvo

Post by RenEvo »

I have orbs dropping like mad from my saw setup, just still figuring out how to... capture them.
FlowerChild wrote:Version 3.49 of Better Than Wolves
-Added ability for villagers to toss the milk.
YouTube | Twitch
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Cool. I figured that's what you were thinking when you put it in. I on the other hand was thinking as the exploitative player who wants the most gravel for the least effort in a quest to destroy my own fun. ;)
Yeah, the change was largely to incentivise using mining charges in manual mining rather than to encourage automating the process. You just made me realize that I basically encouraged neither with the above aspect, and instead promoted dumping stacks of cobble in item form into a pit :)
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

Yeah it was optifine. Tested without and everythings working as expected. I stuck a soul sand filter on the hopper at the bottom of my mob grinder (the lava based one), and voila! Awesomeness. Thanks for this update FC, awesome stuff :)