Morm's game heads-up thread

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
MoRmEnGiL

Morm's game heads-up thread

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

So, it seems I'm starting a new thread every time I discover a game I'm excited about, and it seems better to gather them all in a single thread.

A Game of Dwarves

The gameplay consists of ordering the inhabitants of a dwarven settlement to dig, build and conduct research in order to strengthen the clan, whilst defending themselves from the terrible beasts from the depths into which they delve. The game generates a unique world each time a new level starts, making sure that the player needs to dynamically adapt their strategies and tactics during a session.

As the player advances, the dwarves will level up and gain new skills, progressing from weak dwarflings to near immortal warriors or master craftsmen. There are also rare resources to be found deeper in the earth that grant access to better buildings and equipment. However, the deeper you dig the more dangerous foes you might unleash…
Now this looks interesting, if a bit too early to tell. I like Paradox Interactive a lot, but I know little of Zeal studios, other than the mildly amusing Dwarfs!? game, that showed some promise of things to come.

Previous "Heads-up"s

Novy Soyuz
Spoiler
Show
This time I got a new post apocalyptic Russian made probably first person game, but it is not an fps.

Novy Soyuz
The story - translated by Reddit user Dreamercz, since the game's page isn't in English - is that the Cuban Missile Crisis doesn't end so peacefully, and the USA and USSR bomb each other into the stone age. It's set in 2012, and you play a 70 year-old survivor of the initial war of the 1960s. Which sounds awesome.

The devs are promising an open world to explore, with everything taking place in real-time and players given the option to pause things.
So it is basically a Fallout 3 inspired game. I'm interested to see what this evolves to, since the atmosphere in some russian games like STALKER or especially METRO is one of the best I've seen in games.

Endless Space
Wasteland 2
New turn based oldschool Xcom
Last edited by MoRmEnGiL on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Morm's game heads-up thread

Post by FlowerChild »

70 years old? Somehow I'm getting (traumatic) flashbacks to the last Indiana Jones film here :)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Didn't even bother with that film, but I must say it is a very interesting premise for a game. I only hope he's not a 70 year old rambo :P

EDIT: Since I talked about METRO, I just stumbled across a live action short:
Spoiler
Show
War..
War never changes.

HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

I'm not usually into the horror/survival genre, but I loved this game. I only wish I had bought the Armor instead of the rifle at Polis. :(
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Added a new game titled A Game of Dwarves in the OP ;]
War..
War never changes.

Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Well, I just got into Warlock (also by Paradox), and it seems pretty good: like a mixture of Elemental: War of Magic and Civilization. This could be really good, but they'd have to reach a good level of depth (pun intended) in order to get me to consider it as a contender for DF. Nonetheless, it's a good find Morm. I'll be watching this one. *hoody-cloaky purple eyes ignite*
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

The description of that game could be the description to Dwarf Fortress... Man, how I wanted for a game like DF that didn't expect me to learn how to read the Matrix in order to play... Can we hope?
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I'd say don't get your hopes up, and you will not be disappointed :P It's a relative new studio, that's proven they do not fear thinking outside the box and experimenting with gameplay. Time will tell.
War..
War never changes.

Noodlerex

Post by Noodlerex »

Interesting, reminds me of Evil Genius as well, hmm looks like everyone is trying to get in on the success of minecraft/terraria/dwarf fortress.
FlowerChild wrote: Never trust a bronie.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Interestingly enough, while terraria is the easiest to make a clone of, I've yet to see one, most seem to be going for minecraft clones, which is probably the hardest to do. At the same time there are a few attempts at DF clones, which imho is the one out of the three that we need more of. If only for a more user friendly interface.

EDIT: Where I use clone, you can insert "inspired by" :P
War..
War never changes.

Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Haha! It is fun to see this thread here seing as I studied together with most of the people at Zeal. ^^