Slaughterhouse

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Harcion

Slaughterhouse

Post by Harcion »

Today I made a quite inefficient mob grinder that might be of better use when we can finally domesticate animals and control where they spawn. The idea is that the animals are picked up by minecarts and transported to the slaughterhouse by rail. Once there, they are pushed into huge grinding saw blades and processed into neat cubes which are collected in a hopper and transferred to another rail line. Here is a video:

As you can see I have a problem with some drops not falling down onto the hopper that I haven't solved yet - does anyone have any easy solution to this? I'm going to try moving the whole saw setup down one block so that the animals fall into a small enclosure, but I have a feeling that's going to spawn a load of new wiring problems so I figured I'd check for suggestions first.

It's also not yet veryrobust - if the animals are smart they can just walk out if they do it at the right moment, and chickens always manage to fly away...but I hope I'll have that fixed in the next version. (Luckily, this problem does not apply to wolves, who are very trusting and do not move when told to sit down. Not even when travelling towards their own inevitable death.)
magikeh

Re: Slaughterhouse

Post by magikeh »

thats pretty good actually... cant wait to see the fully de-bugged version!! ^_^/
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

A way to help it pick up al the blocks is by using water right underneath the saws, this could push all the materials to the hoppers...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Deepsniper wrote:A way to help it pick up al the blocks is by using water right underneath the saws, this could push all the materials to the hoppers...
Yup. The chickens will valiantly struggle against the current...but to no avail.

Check out my factory farming video if you want to see an example of such a setup. Saws are and extremely efficient part of a mob-grinder.
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

FlowerChild wrote:
Saws are and extremely efficient part of a mob-grinder.
A quick question: do you think that that lava shelf method will ever be removed in a patch ?

Because Notch altered ladders a few patches ago, and he never removed the way that you can walk on top of them ?
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

FurkeyRefills wrote: A quick question: do you think that that lava shelf method will ever be removed in a patch ?

Because Notch altered ladders a few patches ago, and he never removed the way that you can walk on top of them ?
I think it's a definite possibility. It's one of the reasons why I put the saw in as an alternative grinder that won't potentially disappear in an upcoming version (disassembling mob traps is a pain).

I also believe the saw is more efficient as it doesn't burn a portion of your drops and can be setup so that small stuff (like chickens and baby slimes) can't get through.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

FlowerChild wrote:
I think it's a definite possibility. It's one of the reasons why I put the saw in as an alternative grinder that won't potentially disappear in an upcoming version (disassembling mob traps is a pain).
-SNIP-

Now that is where MCEdit comes in handy :)
Urian

Post by Urian »

Deepsniper wrote: Now that is where MCEdit comes in handy :)
No, that's where thinking ahead and implementing a way to shut of your mob trap from the surface comes in handy :) Light blocks or, after the 1.7 patch, pistons and water are two quite easy ways. I prefer light blocks since they have no way of potentially messing up my water streams for mob herding.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Deepsniper wrote:Now that is where MCEdit comes in handy :)
uhh just a warning (and im not a 100% sure on how this works but ill give it a shot) You may find that after using MCEdit you need to replace all your windmills and waterwheels... i think this is due to the fact that MCEdit does not quite register entities and the windmill and waterwheel just so happen to be entities, so they may end up being deleted or perminantly stopped (unless replaced of course) so LET THIS BE A WARNING!! (unfortunatly i had to learn from persional experance)
Magical Shit
Show
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

jamestully22 wrote:
Deepsniper wrote:Now that is where MCEdit comes in handy :)
uhh just a warning (and im not a 100% sure on how this works but ill give it a shot) You may find that after using MCEdit you need to replace all your windmills and waterwheels... i think this is due to the fact that MCEdit does not quite register entities and the windmill and waterwheel just so happen to be entities, so they may end up being deleted or perminantly stopped (unless replaced of course) so LET THIS BE A WARNING!! (unfortunatly i had to learn from persional experance)

Yes this is true that you have to replace all of that but in my world there is only 1 water wheel powering my entire city. Also it will unplant all your hemp plants...
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Deepsniper wrote:
Yes this is true that you have to replace all of that but in my world there is only 1 water wheel powering my entire city. Also it will unplant all your hemp plants...
oh crap i didnt know about that one!(addressing the hemp)! =O this is good information, verrry good information!
Magical Shit
Show
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

I learned about all that when I was uploading this http://www.mcschematics.com/index.php?topic=6544.0. All of my carefully planted/harvested hemp was on the ground when i logged back in :P
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

well thats the shits, i guess thats why my single hemp plant went missing.....! ( i had to use MCEdit to destroy a bedrock block)
Magical Shit
Show
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

FlowerChild wrote: I think it's a definite possibility. It's one of the reasons why I put the saw in as an alternative grinder that won't potentially disappear in an upcoming version (disassembling mob traps is a pain).

I also believe the saw is more efficient as it doesn't burn a portion of your drops and can be setup so that small stuff (like chickens and baby slimes) can't get through.
As I thought, my mob trap is currently using a lava shelf, because for some reason my world doesn't want to spawn any wolves.
I guess its a fair deal compared to the amount of stuff you can do with saws :/
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

FurkeyRefills wrote:
FlowerChild wrote: I think it's a definite possibility. It's one of the reasons why I put the saw in as an alternative grinder that won't potentially disappear in an upcoming version (disassembling mob traps is a pain).

As I thought, my mob trap is currently using a lava shelf, because for some reason my world doesn't want to spawn any wolves.
I guess its a fair deal compared to the amount of stuff you can do with saws :/

Explore your world a bit, I've found most of my wolves in a heavily forested area with many hills and cliffs. Also this mod helps a bit with finding them. As well as many other things. http://www.minecraftam.com/
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

Deepsniper wrote: Explore your world a bit, I've found most of my wolves in a heavily forested area with many hills and cliffs. Also this mod helps a bit with finding them. As well as many other things. http://www.minecraftam.com/
I have explored my world, and I've scouted the perfect area, its just a matter of time before one spawns :)
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

FurkeyRefills wrote:I have explored my world, and I've scouted the perfect area, its just a matter of time before one spawns :)

*COUGH COUGH HACK SPAWNER GUI COUGH COUGH

;)
Magical Shit
Show
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

My favorite and best seed yet actually spawns you right next to a huge wolf spawning area.

the seed ironically is Deepsniper
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Sorry bout the off topic here BUUUT:

I like the seeds that MC makes for me, they are a lot better (much more diverse than the ones that i always get!)
Magical Shit
Show
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

jamestully22 wrote: *COUGH COUGH HACK SPAWNER GUI COUGH COUGH ;)
Actually I find SPC to be a much more accurate way of "forcing" those despicable creatures to spawn. :P
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

FurkeyRefills wrote: Actually I find SPC to be a much more accurate way of "forcing" those despicable creatures to spawn. :P
WHEW, i wasnt sure if you were one of those die hard vMC players (that just so happend to accept BTW)
Magical Shit
Show
Harcion

Post by Harcion »

FlowerChild wrote:
Deepsniper wrote:A way to help it pick up al the blocks is by using water right underneath the saws, this could push all the materials to the hoppers...
Yup. The chickens will valiantly struggle against the current...but to no avail.

Check out my factory farming video if you want to see an example of such a setup. Saws are and extremely efficient part of a mob-grinder.
Thanks, both. I saw your setup, FlowerChild, but for some reason I have never particularly liked these water channels for moving stuff around, least of all for mobs. Might have something to do with washing away my redstone wiring a few times. It seems as if I can't avoid it completely, but I try to minimize the use. My main wish at the moment is for an efficient way to unload storage carts, then I would set up a real rail network for goods as well as for transportation.

The thread seems to have gotten completely de-railed as well. Perhaps someone could please lock it, and I'll make a new thread when I have finished my design?

My newest version is almost complete (and includes a small water channel) but there are still a few issues remaining - might have to make different versions for different sized animals in the end.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sure man. Locked at the OP's request.