Hopper Filters: what filters what?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Spike

Hopper Filters: what filters what?

Post by Spike »

I've been trying to optimize an automated hemp farm (based on Urian's youtube tutorial design), to efficiently seperate out the seeds & hemp, mill the hemp into fibers, and store the resulting fibers. While doing this, I've been trying to figure out just what fits through each filter type, so I thought I'd post some of my findings. (Not sure if this is already out there, other than the generic info on the wiki.)

Ladder ___Blocks, Bread
Trapdoor _Arrows, Bones, Bowls, Gears, Hemp, Leather, Saplings, Scoured Leather, Sugar Cane, Torch
Grate ____Coal, Donuts, Dung, Feathers, Flint, Flowers, Mushrooms, Slimeballs
Wicker ___
Roller ____Gravel, Hemp Fiber, Powders, Sand, Seeds, String

* No power used.

I had expected that seeds would go with the wicker grate, and not the roller. That messed up my planned filtration channel a bit.
Last edited by Spike on Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Battosay

Re: Hopper Filters: what filters what?

Post by Battosay »

I started a list here, feel free to complete it ;)
http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?title=Hopper
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

if i had a large mob spawner and i wanted to remove the chops from everything else, what progression of 'filters' would i need to put under the water stream?
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

One little problem that is likely to come up with 1.8 is that Mojang has said they're making food fully stackable.

This is likely going to require a reworking of the filter system to take this into account.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

FlowerChild wrote:One little problem that is likely to come up with 1.8 is that Mojang has said they're making food fully stackable.

This is likely going to require a reworking of the filter system to take this into account.
aww thats pretty shitty!! but do you have a soloution for the chop seperating untill the 1.8 patch does come out? (and i hope the anwser does not include: empty the hopper into a chest and sort it by hand you lazy bugger)
Magical Shit
Show
Urian

Post by Urian »

They're also introducing more food, at least chicken and steak has been mentioned.

As for what filter for pork chops, I haven't tried it myself (no passive mob farm) but trapdoors should allow everything except chops to enter so you could use that to separate chops from the rest and then have another row to separate the drops that stack to 64.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Urian wrote:They're also introducing more food, at least chicken and steak has been mentioned.
Also they have made it possible to 'farm pumpkins and (new item) WaterMelons from a stem!!
Urian wrote:As for what filter for pork chops, I haven't tried it myself (no passive mob farm) but trapdoors should allow everything except chops to enter so you could use that to separate chops from the rest and then have another row to separate the drops that stack to 64.
thank you!! =D
Magical Shit
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, I'm not too worried about it as there are several potential solutions. I just wanted to make people aware that their filtering mechanisms will likely have to change when 1.8 comes out.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jamestully22 wrote:
Urian wrote:As for what filter for pork chops, I haven't tried it myself (no passive mob farm) but trapdoors should allow everything except chops to enter so you could use that to separate chops from the rest and then have another row to separate the drops that stack to 64.
thank you!! =D
Actually, that's not right. Both eggs and wool won't go through trap doors either. The filtering process is a little more elaborate than what Urian suggests and needs to be done in multiple stages.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

FlowerChild wrote:Actually, that's not right. Both eggs and wool won't go through trap doors either. The filtering process is a little more elaborate than what Urian suggests and needs to be done in multiple stages.
I guess putting it all into a chest then sorting it by hand will be better for the long run (then toss the different items into streams that lead to thier own hoppers > chests... thanks for the help and insperation all!! =)
Magical Shit
Show
Urian

Post by Urian »

Ah, right. I only though of what mobs drop, not what they produce. Eggs shouldn't be that much of a problem though if the mob farm is quick (eggs are only produced after the mob has been alive for 5 minutes I think). You could sort eggs form pork chops by using a dispenser, chops will only be shot out and fall down while eggs will be fired as if thrown. The eggs might spawn chickens so you might want some lava or something to take care of those birds.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Urian wrote:-SNIP- The eggs might spawn chickens so you might want some lava or something to take care of those birds.
or recycle the newly spawned birds thru the mob grinder portion again!!
Magical Shit
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Urian wrote:Ah, right. I only though of what mobs drop, not what they produce. Eggs shouldn't be that much of a problem though if the mob farm is quick (eggs are only produced after the mob has been alive for 5 minutes I think). You could sort eggs form pork chops by using a dispenser, chops will only be shot out and fall down while eggs will be fired as if thrown. The eggs might spawn chickens so you might want some lava or something to take care of those birds.
You can separate eggs from chops with a grate.

Passive mob-trap output is fully sortable. Since I included Rollers, only aggro mob traps produce two items which can't be separated which are bones and arrows given that they are a similar shape and size.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

FlowerChild wrote:You can separate eggs from chops with a grate.

Passive mob-trap output is fully sortable. Since I included Rollers, only aggro mob traps produce two items which can't be separated which are bones and arrows given that they are a similar shape and size.
and the ladder (i think) will seperate the wool b/c the wool can stack to 64?
Magical Shit
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jamestully22 wrote: and the ladder (i think) will seperate the wool b/c the wool can stack to 64?
Yup, exactly. That's why you see all the separate channels leading off from the output of my passive mob-trap. The first filter I put things through in the vid is a ladder to sort the wool off. I don't even bother sending that channel all the way to my main area because I have such of surplus of wool to begin with (due to the string output of my aggro mob-trap).

It's one of the things that doesn't really make sense about the inclusion of shears in vanilla imo. There's such a huge surplus of wool in the game to begin with (and wool has so little use), that having a dedicated manual collection method for that resource is kind pointless at the moment.

Maybe that will change with 1.8, but the shears really mystify me as an inclusion in the game. The axe was already useless enough without incorporating another extraneous tool.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

FlowerChild wrote:
-SNIP-

It's one of the things that doesn't really make sense about the inclusion of shears in vanilla imo. There's such a huge surplus of wool in the game to begin with (and wool has so little use), that having a dedicated manual collection method for that resource is kind pointless at the moment.

Maybe that will change with 1.8, but the shears really mystify me as an inclusion in the game. The axe was already useless enough without incorporating another extraneous tool.
true dat but i do like the idea of taking a pair of shears, going nutzo on a tree then adding a pretty little hedge all around my house (rather than the fence) it gives it a nice cozy feel... untill lightning hits it and completly destroys it and my house!! >.<

(this is why i now build my houses underground and have a stone shack on the top to cover up my hole!)
Magical Shit
Show
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

FlowerChild wrote: Maybe that will change with 1.8, but the shears really mystify me as an inclusion in the game. The axe was already useless enough without incorporating another extraneous tool.
I think the shears make more sense in the context of persistent animals. Not needing to kill the sheep to get more wool after shearing helps them fit the world a bit better I think. My bottleneck seems to be certain dye colors, so dying the sheep before shearing works nicely for production.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Battlecat wrote:I think the shears make more sense in the context of persistent animals. Not needing to kill the sheep to get more wool after shearing helps them fit the world a bit better I think. My bottleneck seems to be certain dye colors, so dying the sheep before shearing works nicely for production.
nifty trick with the color before shear there... i usually just burn the buggers!! >:D
Magical Shit
Show
JammerUno

Post by JammerUno »

Plenty of wool? Anything colourful you want to build requires massive amounts of it. A simple 20x20 mosaic floor already requires 400 of the stuff.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

JammerUno wrote:Plenty of wool? Anything colourful you want to build requires massive amounts of it. A simple 20x20 mosaic floor already requires 400 of the stuff.
Eh. I guess that's it. I'm not much one for interior decorating :)
Spike

Post by Spike »

Well, if you're going to look at changes... hehe.

I had assumed, until it didn't work & I made a testing trough, that seeds would not go through rollers, but would go through wicker. It just makes a bit more sense to me, as (most) seeds are a wee bit larger than paper & fibers. There really isn't any reason, that I have found yet, to have wicker.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

I assumed the same before I tried it, that hemp leaves would fit through rollers but seeds wouldn't, oh well, just had to use them the opposite way around, no biggie.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Spike wrote:Well, if you're going to look at changes... hehe.

I had assumed, until it didn't work & I made a testing trough, that seeds would not go through rollers, but would go through wicker. It just makes a bit more sense to me, as (most) seeds are a wee bit larger than paper & fibers. There really isn't any reason, that I have found yet, to have wicker.
Gunpowder and flour mostly.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

how would you separate sugar cane from hemp and wheat?
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

wicker

EDIT: wicker can filter out sugar, but not canes. Rollers can filter out paper.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!