Well, that was frustrating

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Well, that was frustrating

Post by FlowerChild »

Responding to that thread only resulted in deleted posts while leaving the original instigation in place. Huzah for MCF mods.
Stormweaver

Re: Well, that was frustrating

Post by Stormweaver »

Yeah, I noticed that (you can delete my post in the other thread, since you managed to post here at the same time I posted there).

I'm trying to figure out which of the forum rules you broke in that post tbh, and got nothing. Yay for MCF ^.^
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote:Yeah, I noticed that (you can delete my post in the other thread, since you managed to post here at the same time I posted there).

I'm trying to figure out which of the forum rules you broke in that post tbh, and got nothing. Yay for MCF ^.^
I don't think I did break any rules. I figure that the mod in question is either a fan, or is Eloraam (if she has mod privileges on her own thread).

Anyways, as you said "it's on". "Libelous" my ass.
Catox

Post by Catox »

and no mention of any kind from their part ?
huzzah... =__=
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

And btw, I of course filed a report on her post that started this, but nada.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote: Anyways, as you said "it's on". "Libelous" my ass.
Actually, I said "It's on." In memory of the exact scene that I recalled after reading her post.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Wait, what did I miss?
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote: Actually, I said "It's on." In memory of the exact scene that I recalled after reading her post.
Yeah, I saw :)

I'd actually welcome the opportunity to get this into open conflict at this point. This isn't the first time she's accused me of outright lying, and I'd love to call her on that bullshit.

To my knowledge I haven't made one inaccurate statement about her or the stuff that she's done, while she's been making several about me, including in this recent post of hers.

For posterity, here's my response to her post before it was deleted by a mod:
Eloraam wrote: I really, really don't want to specifically address any specific mods or name names, because I think it's tacky. Still, one particular modder has singled me out, and has taken steps to assure incompatibility with RedPower for reasons that are purely a personal attack on me, and continued to libelously attack me on many fronts. I'm doing my level best not to continue the drama, but at the same time, I'm done avoiding stepping on the toes of someone who's standing on my feet.
Come now Eloraam. Everybody and their brother knows exactly who you're talking about.

And let's make one thing very clear: I have no problem with you having a fire producing mechanism in your mod. What I was laughing at you for is not having the originality to even come up with a unique look or recipe in your ongoing pattern of shamelessly derivative work. I was also laughing at the blatant self-justification you used in explaining that when you said that it was my own fault for leaving the Forge, when that has so obviously not stopped you from doing the same thing with BuildCraft or IC2.

Your mod is a collection of other people's ideas implemented "better", and I use that term very loosely given that you sacrifice performance and game balance every step of the way to achieve that end. I haven't even been the primary target of that behavior, I'm just the one guy that had the balls to refuse to be complicit in it.

Remember, avoiding using my name while so very obviously talking about me will certainly not discourage me from returning fire. We've kept this conflict relatively low key up to this point and stayed away from each others' threads, but if you're intent on escalating it, I'm more than game.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Elo is stirring drama by playing the wounded female. It's a tactic I have used my advantage. Make it seem like some evil man is taking advantage/hurting me. Cry a little. Put on a brave face. Sincerely thank the big, strong, wonderful men who have come to support me. No, I don't /need/ to hide behind them, but it's /awfully/ nice to have them around to help. Oh, you want me to back up my implications with examples of wrong doing? Oh, no, I couldn't do that. That would be rumor-mongering and drama-creating. I just want to rise above all this horrible mess. Let's put what that horrible man did to me behind us, shall we?

Does that about sum it up?
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

morvelaira wrote: Does that about sum it up?
Errrr....being a man, I can neither confirm nor deny how well that sums the situation up for me :)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote:
morvelaira wrote: Does that about sum it up?
Errrr....being a man, I can neither confirm nor deny how well that sums the situation up for me :)
I was more writing from Elo's perspective. It's quite a bit more fucked up when it's laid out plain like that. Hmm...
*makes note to try and employ this tactic only when the bastard really deserves it. It's Super Effective*
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

morvelaira wrote:I was more writing from Elo's perspective. It's quite a bit more fucked up when it's laid out plain like that. Hmm...
*makes note to try and employ this tactic only when the bastard really deserves it. It's Super Effective*
Actually, no, I will say without getting into gender that it did immediately strike me with that post that she was playing the victim (guys definitely do it to) and trying to come across as the "good guy" by not naming names when it was blatantly obvious who she was talking about. I summed up as much in the first line of my post.

I've also made no secret that I think she's extremely manipulative, so I do agree with basically everything you're saying, I just don't think that behavior needs to have a gender-specific label applied to it.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Well, all things a-given, now I'm just wondering which of your toes she decided she'd end up stepping on in her next release. Given how long it's been since the direwolf video (which seems to be where she's getting all the venom from), I doubt it got posted simply because she was feeling upset.

My bet's on the detector block or lens personally.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote:Well, all things a-given, now I'm just wondering which of your toes she decided she'd end up stepping on in her next release. Given how long it's been since the direwolf video (which seems to be where she's getting all the venom from), I doubt it got posted simply because she was feeling upset.

From the posts I scanned over, my bets are on water flow, pumps, water wheels, etc. (I guess I'm playing roulette instead of poker for once). Double whammy on BC and BTW.
TheAbyss90

Post by TheAbyss90 »

Aha. I'm scratching my head on all this. A lot of those people don't seem to know how BTW works lol. FC did you know you apparently use 40 million sprits and block IDs?. Funny. Seems to me that you try your best to ONLY put in things that are practical to the mod. It also seems that making the hibachi such a huge part of the mod means you are monopolizing making an on/off fire with redstone? Im now at the shaking my head while laughing stage. People amuse me.

In any case know that even though I'm mainly just a lurker here on the forums, (really can't maintain my presence on forums for w/e reason) you have my support for decisions you make.

-Abyss
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheAbyss90 wrote:Aha. I'm scratching my head on all this. A lot of those people don't seem to know how BTW works lol. FC did you know you apparently use 40 million sprits and block IDs?. Funny. Seems to me that you try your best to ONLY put in things that are practical to the mod. It also seems that making the hibachi such a huge part of the mod means you are monopolizing making an on/off fire with redstone? Im now at the shaking my head while laughing stage. People amuse me.

In any case know that even though I'm mainly just a lurker here on the forums, (really can't maintain my presence on forums for w/e reason) you have my support for decisions you make.

-Abyss

Thanks man. I just take the gross misrepresentation of everything I do by the community at large as a given though. I was really just focused on what she had to say :)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

You know what, I'm finally done with her. After the whole fallout, I kept civil with Elo, because the drama between the mods really didn't affect me. Lately though, I've been talking a bit about BTB on the Direwolf20 channel and each and every time I do so, I keep getting attacked by fans of her mod. It irks me to see that she can feed her fans any kind of straw man arguments and they will propagate those ideas until they become true in the eyes of the tech community.

This is the final straw though. Acting like a victim when it's her fans that harass BTW fans time and time again just doesn't work for me. Couple that to the fact that I'm now apparently free game for harassment by her fans too and it's time I stop tip-toeing around the issue. Next time I get confronted, I'll have some things to say to the community.
FlowerChild wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:Well, all things a-given, now I'm just wondering which of your toes she decided she'd end up stepping on in her next release. Given how long it's been since the direwolf video (which seems to be where she's getting all the venom from), I doubt it got posted simply because she was feeling upset.

From the posts I scanned over, my bets are on water flow, pumps, water wheels, etc. (I guess I'm playing roulette instead of poker for once). Double whammy on BC and BTW.
She's implementing steam power and water flows. This is apparently her positioning herself before the release.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote:She's implementing steam power and water flows. This is apparently her positioning herself before the release.
I knew that was only a matter of time. When we were still on friendly terms, I told her about my plans for both the Lens and for Steam within BTW. Seeing mention of steam within her blogs here and there, I knew there was basically a "race" going on based on my loose lips, and it was a race I refused to participate in.

Hopefully she's thinking that she's heading off my "April 10th" release by doing this. Unfortunately for her, I decided to change directions completely, because, you know...I don't have trouble actually coming up with new ideas of my own.
TheAbyss90

Post by TheAbyss90 »

FlowerChild wrote: Thanks man. I just take the gross misrepresentation of everything I do by the community at large as a given though. I was really just focused on what she had to say :)
Yeah the only reason I noticed that stuff was because I was curious to see what others had to say to your post. Apparently the mods moved really quickly to delete it. Well nothing to be done about people who just want their hardly any effort to get items instead of getting the gratification of going "I had no fricking idea what I was doing at first but with trial and error (and a couple ghasts) I finally got this automated (whatever it may be) working!). Nothing feels better :)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

What I find amusing is that when you go onto the Technic IRC, all the talk there is about you and BTW and how vile your presence in the mod community really is. If you go to any place Eloraam and her fans hang out, the number one conversation topic is again you.

It seems like to them this is this big vendetta, almost an all-out war. It's all they think about and they discuss it daily.

From what I gather, your thoughts aren't constantly fixated on either Eloraam or Technic or any other "enemy", you just get angry once in a while when something pops up. That's the real fun side to this. It's a one-sided war and slander campaign for the most part.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheAbyss90 wrote: Yeah the only reason I noticed that stuff was because I was curious to see what others had to say to your post. Apparently the mods moved really quickly to delete it. Well nothing to be done about people who just want their hardly any effort to get items instead of getting the gratification of going "I had no fricking idea what I was doing at first but with trial and error (and a couple ghasts) I finally got this automated (whatever it may be) working!). Nothing feels better :)
Oh, I certainly noticed it too. I've just developed a "nod, smile, and move on" reflex after all these months of seeing that crap ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote: From what I gather, your thoughts aren't constantly fixated on either Eloraam or Technic or any other "enemy", you just get angry once in a while when something pops up. That's the real fun side to this. It's a one-sided war and slander campaign for the most part.
Oh god no. The one time I was approaching being fixated on what was going on there was when I was with the Forge and feeling increasingly uncomfortable about it. THEN it was becoming a nagging issue for me as I was torn between wanting to get the fuck out of Dodge, and not wanting to fuck over the community.

Once I finally had it, couldn't take it anymore, and left the bloody thing accepting all the fallout that went with it (which I was actually expecting to be worse...I was probably more surprised than anyone that the fan-base for BTW didn't drop in the least), it quickly faded into the background for me.

As you said, with the exception of these brief flurries of activity when some interesting development like this pops up, it's really not an ongoing issue for me. I'm making my mod, telling the compatibility trolls to fuck off here and there, and just doing my thing as always.
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

Gilberreke wrote:That's the real fun side to this. It's a one-sided war and slander campaign for the most part.
That doesn't sound fun at all to me! I'd hate to be on the receiving end of that.

Of course, I'm not the one with a spiky exoskeleton, now am I? Props to you for being able to deal with this bullshit intelligently and maturely, Flowerchild.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Caboose wrote: Of course, I'm not the one with a spiky exoskeleton, now am I? Props to you for being able to deal with this bullshit intelligently and maturely, Flowerchild.[/color]
Well, I don't exactly aspire towards maturity or believe that I adhere to it in a way that would be commonly recognized ;)

But whatever man, I've been dealing with trolls since I started this thing, and if anything have learned to have fun with that.

The central point in this was that I *refused to be complicit in it*. She can do whatever the fuck she wants, just as long as I'm not involved in it. I certainly don't like her, and think what she's doing is rather pathetic for someone of her obvious technical skill level, but as long as I don't constantly feel like I'm raping myself by being a party to her schemes, the whole situation ultimately gets a big "fuck it".

Again, the most tragic part I see in this is what I feel she's doing to other modders who feel compelled not to raise the same kind of stink I do for their own reasons. There was a brief moment there after I quit the Forge where it looked like others might stand up and say "no" as well to her behavior, but it ultimately all came to nothing.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sorry, just found the most recent post to her thread particularly hysterical given what Gil was just saying:
@Eloraam,
please don't feel ever discouraged by your work.
We know that you add to RP simply everything you need or like while playing, and especially there are out there countless fan of yours; we simply aren't as loud as the haters, as we aren't satisfied by yelling on the internet without any intelligent thought behind.
We prefer civil discussion. So keep in mind that in this thread there will always be people ready to support you!

Also, your RP not only takes what other mods have and makes it better, while impementating new , thrilling ideas, but also with the competition it generates, helps other mods to became better: Buildcraft has now logistic pipes or gate, but I think it wouldn't have if the contrast with RP hadn't stressed that they were an useful addition.
In fact, other modders that withdraw from Forge, instead of makes thing better like space toad, simply show a lack of faith in their mod and its capacity to get better, wich is absurd.
It's like a professor that recommend a stupid book to his students to appear more smart.
Actually, that's funny (in some cases tragically) on just so many levels. Yeah...that whole thing really helped SpaceToad make BC better all right...right before he quit.