Notch's new game

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Gargantuan_Penguin

Notch's new game

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

So it appears that notch is making something of a space game. I think this has the potential of being just as awesome as minecraft. I'll wait and see I guess.
http://www.webpronews.com/minecraft-mak ... me-2012-04
And HOW!
Poppycocks

Re: Notch's new game

Post by Poppycocks »

That does actually sound very good. Coupled with the fact he's designing it for multiplayer from the top... This might become an extremely glorified IRC if nothing else. :P

But yeah, I'm looking forward to this.
Gargantuan_Penguin

reading more about it I think it will be absolutely incredible. especially the programming aspect of it.
here is the official site http://0x10c.com/
And HOW!
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Yeah I read about it earlier this week and found it incredible and very promising.
I just hope he doesn't make the same mistake as for Minecraft and release it too early in its development, even though he already said he would...
I'm still looking forward to it, of course.
He although said there would be a monthly fee. However, I don't think this would be a huge pile of money.
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Gargantuan_Penguin

yeah, I don't think the monthly fee will be to exorbitant. mostly because he will have an instant fan base. instant funding. and besides that the ridiculous amount of wealth he already has..

a quick question for you though Gormador. why do you think that minecraft was released to early? I didn't buy the game until later so I wasn't there for it. I am just curious.
And HOW!
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

It sounds like a pretty unique idea and I'm looking forward to trying it when it hits alpha.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

I probably won't be playing it. I've found that it becomes very hard to justify paying for a monthly subscription, especially when you consider what else you could do with that money, especially if Notch goes by the "standard" cost of $15/mo. For that cost, you could buy a new indie title or an old big-publisher title every month, or a new big-publisher title every four months. Eventually the novelty of the game will wear off, and you will have to take a step back and think: "Is this really worth the money I'm putting into it?"
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Will there be voxels?

WILL THERE BE VOXELS?

Seriously, if I get to fly a spaceship around a mine voxel-asteroids for resources, I'm fucking sold. Programming the computer will be a hoot and all, since I know little of programming and this will spur me to learn how, but the Massively Multiplayer aspect turns me off. But I can't wait to customize the shit out of a spaceship. I'm trying really hard not to get my hopes up, but this sounds fairly close to my dream game.

Tenative squeee.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Catox

Post by Catox »

Katalliaan wrote:especially if Notch goes by the "standard" cost of $15/mo.
I'm not sure Notch generally goes by standards...

Beside, it's clearly stated that you'll be able to play solo without paying any monthly fee.
Of course, there might be huge differences between solo and mmo content, given the "programs-sharing" aspect of the second one, but, well... wait and see.

The 2 things I'm wondering about at the moment are those :
- we know several player could play in one ship, what about the opposite : could one player possess and control several ships, like in the X series for instance.
- what about CPUs, will that be 1 per ship, 1 per player, or on the contrary, as many as you can gather ?

This project reminds me this one : http://www.infinity-universe.com
Hopefully, it will take less time to be made ^^
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I'm fairly certain I'm not going to be playing this game... :P
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

I don't want to play this game... I've finally begun recollecting and gluing together the shattered pieces of my psyche after Minecraft, and I don't need another game to come along and throw them to the bottom of the Marinara Trench again. Minecraft's premise was "You get to punch holes in hills, and... well... EXPLODING SHRUB!"and look how epic it turned out. This game's premise: "You get to fly around in a MOTHAF**KIN' SPACESHIP, and turn the faces of planets into slag, and... well... EXPLODING SUN!" Definitely going to snag this one when it comes out in alpha, I finally bought Minecraft when it was in early beta.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Gargantuan_Penguin wrote:yeah, I don't think the monthly fee will be to exorbitant. mostly because he will have an instant fan base. instant funding. and besides that the ridiculous amount of wealth he already has..

a quick question for you though Gormador. why do you think that minecraft was released to early? I didn't buy the game until later so I wasn't there for it. I am just curious.
Well, I began to play it about 1 year and a half ago so I don't consider myself being an "early minecraft gamer", but there is a general feeling on this forum that Minecraft got too much content due to community request or community rather than game design oriented.
I don't have a precise example in mind just now, but :
[quote="Jeb recently wrote on reddit]I have more or less promised horses to a friend.[/quote]
I personally can't stand mods like Mo Creatures or the other one which does approximatively the same thing. And I'm sorry but implementing a feature because you promised it to a friend, for a huge game like Minecraft, it's as simple as dumb.
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Well that's simple, keep Jeb away from the new game's content design as much as possible, and we're golden. I mean, as bad as horses would be added to Minecraft, they'd be worse added to 0x10c.

Although if it's supposed to be like Firefly....
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

TheAnarchitect wrote: Although if it's supposed to be like Firefly....
We'll see. Very big expectations to live up to in that regard. I am interested in this game, but we shall see. Notch may have some competition by way of Jagex's upcoming space mmo "Stellar Dawn". But Mojang could beat them to the punch considering Jagex promised a beta launch a year ago and haven't said a word about the game since.

EDIT: 3 weeks ago Jagex announced Stellar Dawn is "paused" (With Jagex, that likely means at least for a few years, if not entirely scrapped) So no competiton from them for Notch!
Last edited by SterlingRed on Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

First I saw of this, I love the idea. Definitely excited about it, if it's 1/2 what he says it'll be I'd buy it.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Honestly, it seems like a little bundle of potential. Definitely going to wait to see more before I decide how I feel about the concept though.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
orangeweaver

Post by orangeweaver »

I think it sounds pretty fucking great. Want to see more as well.

Also the monthly payment seemed optional, that it was only for the multiverse?
Gargantuan_Penguin

how I read it was that there *might* be a monthly fee for multiplayer.
And HOW!
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Gargantuan_Penguin wrote:how I read it was that there *might* be a monthly fee for multiplayer.

It's quote "likely". I wouldn't be surprised if there was.

Also, this is a webbased compiler/emulator for the DCPU, which is pretty cool, people with programming experience can probably grasp what's happening here and make some tweaks:

http://mappum.github.com/DCPU-16/
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

But always remember that with great potential comes great power, and with great power comes great responsibility... If Notch does this wrong, it'll get screwed up to no end, but if it's done right then it'd be AMAZING.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Development Status

Next up:

•Adding hardware to the DCPU-16
•Releasing a DCPU-16 emulator environment
•Updating the DCPU-16 based on feedback
Reaching some kind of first playable release
•Space rendering and windows
That's pretty fast. Unless it is bare bones, I think Notch might be rushing himself just a tad...
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Better than x10^3 ?

How about ">x10^3" ?
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:Better than x10^3 ?

How about ">x10^3" ?
You mean "Better than 0x10c, not x10^3.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

1x10^c
Thalmane

Post by Thalmane »

Hmmm maybe more like 1x10^FC. When you multiply to the power of FC things get epic.