Two floor elevator assistance needed

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Dextralus

Two floor elevator assistance needed

Post by Dextralus »

I've recently built a 2-floor elevator in my BTW world and it's mostly functioning correctly. However, there is a mistake in my design which annoys me. A quick summary of how this elevator operates:

A button at the top floor sends a signal to a T flip-flop which toggles power/no power to the gearbox immediately adjacent to the pulley. The button also sends a signal to a monostable circuit which temporarily disengages the brake (AND gate with a detector) so that the elevator can descend from the top floor. At the bottom floor, there is another button. it sends a signal through a 2x2 redstone staircase up to the top (one repeater needed to lengthen signal) where it sends a signal into the same circuit that the top floor button does. I'm not sure as to the exact terminology here, but that should become clear - I hope - in the photographs.

Now, this works perfectly fine in most cases. When the elevator is at the top, pressing the button at the top makes it descend. And when the elevator is at the bottom, pressing either button makes it ascend. However, pressing the bottom button while the elevator is at the top does nothing except toggle redstone power to the T flip-flop. I'm sure this has something to do with delay and also with my braking system, but I'm not sure why the bottom button is not causing the brake to disengage.

Some pictures:

Elevator top floor
Spoiler
Show

Elevator bottom floor
Spoiler
Show
The 'junction' behind the top floor button:
Spoiler
Show
The T flip-flop (pretty sure the problem isn't here)
Spoiler
Show
The flip-flop sends power to the gearbox, with one repeater to keep the signal going
Spoiler
Show
The AND gate brake
Spoiler
Show
* Can't quite see it here but the other input to the gate is the inverted signal coming out of the monostable circuit on the left

The monostable circuit that lengthens the time the brake is disengaged, allowing descent
Spoiler
Show
A better view of the AND gate output
Spoiler
Show
Hopefully those are enough screens for someone to find out what's wrong with my circuitry here. If not, let me know and I'll get some more screenshots.

I apologise in advance for any grimaces you might get from looking at that, this is the first time I've ever made and used flip-flops and monostable circuits. It's by far the most complex thing I've made yet, and the bug is fairly small so I'm basically still proud of it.
grimper12341

Re: Two floor elevator assistance needed

Post by grimper12341 »

Will start working on it now, but as a first impression, possibly those powered light blocks and their associated circuitry could be causing interference.
Dextralus

Post by Dextralus »

Could be.I'll try breaking them and seeing if the problem resolves itself - but I'm still not clear on how it could still be able to send a signal to the toggle but not to the break :-/

EDIT: I removed the lights and torches but the problem persists

(The 'circuity' is just a redstone torch behind each of them)
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Ok here you go:

Legend -

1. RS-NOR latch hooked up to it's own reset, temporarily turns off the brake. Could use a long pulse generator instead.
2. T Flip-flop connected to the gearbox, controls up/down.
3. A circuit breaker connected to the output of the latch, it breaks the circuit coming from the block detector temporarily.
4. Wire down to the button at the bottom of the shaft.
5. Button for the top

I did it quick and it's just a proof of concept, so it's bulkier than it should be and the top floor button is in completely the wrong place, but you can move that easily enough :P

Note you have to use that exact amount of repeaters for that setup, else odd things happen. All the repeaters connected to the RS-NOR latch are set to 4.

Also I prefer piston logic gates since I'm still learning and they are easier to understand, but they are bulkier and in the case of the flip-flop, slow (which is why you need so many repeaters on the RS-NOR latch), so you might be able to do this better using redstone logic gates.

EDIT: Moved the button to the correct position coz it was bugging me.