How long does it take you to get through the tech tree?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.

How long does it take you to scale the tech-tree?

I use Creative/ TMI/ NEI
No votes
Less than 10 hours
10%
A good 10 hours
25%
A hearty few days
34%
An imaginative few weeks
11%
A majestically long time!
20%

Total votes: 61
Ethinolicbob

How long does it take you to get through the tech tree?

Post by Ethinolicbob »

A FC quote from the MCF:
FlowerChild wrote:I suspect a complete play-through the tech-tree in a fresh world would still take you at least a good 10 hours.
I was wondering how long everyone takes to get through the tech-tree?

Due to my pedantic nature it takes me weeks!
ilovekintoki

Re: How long does it take you to get through the tech tree?

Post by ilovekintoki »

A few days, but that's mostly because I want to build all kind of stuff around my machines.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

If I'm playing to get to steel, I can manage it normally within a day's playing; if I'm using somnia, it's a short day's playing.

Getting automation hooked up for all the important bits is the time-consuming bit though, which can take a fair bit longer after first hitting steel.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
duartemad

Post by duartemad »

I only got up the tech tree legitly once and it took me, playtime that is, around 10 hours or a week playing
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.
Tropa

Post by Tropa »

10 hours I believe.

But I was blessed in my world and got a skele spawner under my house.
Afk'ing over night gets me stacks of bones and arrows. <3
Last edited by Tropa on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Drop Of Water Can Cause A Tidalwave.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Guys..."about a week" is pretty useless for a conversation like this given that could be 1 to 168 hours of actual play time.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

The "10 hours" guess seems to be about right on for me. I also dont generally worry about automation at all until getting bds and dbs.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

I think a better question would be "How many hours a day/week do you play BTW?".
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

On reflection the values associated with the poll were poorly defined and are quite subjective.
However the aim of the poll was not to get accurate measurements of a users play time before they got to the end of the current tech-tree, it was more to get the 'feel' on how everyone likes to progress the tech-tree.

Personally I could take a smaller amount of time to get to the end of the tech tree. But I find it fun to dawdle.
I could just build a hemp farm by the water... OR I could make a giant aqueduct to move water to a place I think a farm would be nice.
I could just use the ocean to power the waterwheel... OR I could extend that aqueduct to the saw mill and set up a waterwheel there.
Blazara

Post by Blazara »

Well I managed to get past soulforged steel and have a rather huge manor (50 long by 8 wide chamber with a 20 long by 8 wide chamber intersecting it in the centre, over 10 blocks high before the staired roof starts) and an entire farm island with a several floor elevator within about 12 hours of play time. The only block I am currently unable to make are block dispensers as I seem to have had no luck when it comes to finding spawners :/

I believe your speed of progression is rather dependent on where you're situated; the seed moonsandmoonsand (the one I am currently using) has taiga, extreme hills, jungle, desert, swamp and woodland within 100 - 200 blocks of spawn. This allows easy gathering of resources individual to each biome. If your looking for a challenge, look around for "challenge" seeds.

Hope this helped :)
Blazara wrote: I, am a BETTERTHANwolfaboo.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

6 to 8 hours for me, but that's without automating anything. As I said in the past, if your goal is just getting to the end, automation slows you down. I usually go for the end of the tech tree, then I start automating with all tools available.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
duartemad

Post by duartemad »

Gilberreke wrote:6 to 8 hours for me, but that's without automating anything. As I said in the past, if your goal is just getting to the end, automation slows you down. I usually go for the end of the tech tree, then I start automating with all tools available.
Exacly what I did when I finished it, only automated the hemp farm before losing the world, now I am trying to get to the top of the tech tree again without quitting before getting to it...
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

In my current world, I quickly made it to Steel age (10 hours?) But I automated nothing except the most basic things - mill stones and hemp.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

Blazara wrote:the seed moonsandmoonsand
Out of curiosity, is that "moon sand," or "moons and"?

OT:If I'm playing to get through the tech tree, without much automation, the ten hours estimate seems pretty good, but as discussed, the seed/materials found can affect this.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

it takes me in the range of eight to ten hours. also without automating much of anything. as soon as I get to a "comfortable" place in the tech tree, meaning having gotten a nice base with some steel tools and a water weal, I usually start automating and working on aesthetics.
And HOW!
HighMongrel

Post by HighMongrel »

The time to just go up the tech tree usually takes me a bit over 10 hours. More often then no I'm held back by my inability to find wolves ever, but that doesn't really count. Again, automation and aesthetics are a different story.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

In game I'd say it takes me 10-12 hours to get to steel. I like to play several hours of vanilla getting a surplus of resources before I start on the tech tree beyond hemp. If I went a bit more minimalist I could do it in 8 or so.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

It actually takes me quite a long time to get past just having a saw due to the fact I hate digging for resources. I usually stumble across enough diamond to make a pick around six hours in and then blow through the rest up until I need mossy cobble. I generally have very bad luck with finding dungeons, usually no more than one of them in a region so that slowsf me down a lot.

The thought that I will need more steel than the stack of ten iron blocks I have in storage is actually the scariest thing about the coming update. The process is simple, it is the raw materials that are difficult.
Better is the enemy of Good
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I seem to be the slowpoke around here: I've been playing my latest world maybe two weeks, probably about 2 hours a day. I'd estimate I'm at least 24 hours into this world, and I'm just installing my first waterwheel.

Then again, This is an island survival scenario: It took me 2 hours of exploring just to find wolves to bring home. I similarly had to import cattle and even chickens from the mainland. Also, I dick around with aesthetics way more than most technically-minded players. I could just put all my workshops, farms, and ranches in whatever convenient holes in the ground I dug up, but that would suck. I play in order to flex my underused design skills, and so I prioritize building good-looking stuff to advancing technologically.

This makes me glad I'm in single player mode, because in Multiplayer one of you bastards would have come and given me smallpox infected blankets by now.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

TheAnarchitect wrote:I seem to be the slowpoke around here: I've been playing my latest world maybe two weeks, probably about 2 hours a day. I'd estimate I'm at least 24 hours into this world, and I'm just installing my first waterwheel.
Trust me, you're not the slowpoke. I am. I've been playing this mod nearly since it came out - picked it up last June - and I still haven't gotten my first Waterwheel. Like the silly OCD person I am, I keep being consumed by doing BTW 'right', and so I restart worlds nearly constantly. I need to stop that. *whine*
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Yeah, I know how that is. The first week after 1.2 came out, I didn't build a single thing at all. I simply loaded up seed after seen after seed looking for one with good potential.

One thing to recall, though, is that in minecraft mistakes are cheap and easy. Even with BTW and flowerchild's joy in making things explode or attack if you mess up. In my 1.1 world, I spent 3 days building a house that I immediately tore down because I decided that the tower I was planning later would look better in that spot. I almost started my world over, but realized that I'd be better off tearing down everything I built and keeping the resources, as that would take less time than gathering all those resources from scratch again. As long as you like your seed, it's almost always better to tear down your mistakes than to restart.

Still, I bet you're wiz at starting the BTW tech tree by now, with all that practice.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

You know, if you're THAT ocd you should probably opt for non-legit play as opposed to doing everything legal.

WorldEdit at the very least, for quick deleting of what you've built. MC Edit if you care to look around your current seed before deleting it. You can find a nice spot on practically any map, you can then rebind your spawn in MC Edit and prune the chunks you generated while exploring.

I'm speaking from experience, I've got the same kind of problems you two do, and being able to at least delete something I am displeased with goes a long way in not deleting the whole world.

I'm luckily coming to grips with that sick fetish. Mostly because I want to hit myself in the face for deleting my awesome pagoda. Especially if that aesthetic add-on comes out soon. And a plenty of other awesome things besides.

Seriously though, right now I'm imagining everything I ever build pasted tastefully into a single world. *Sigh* That would be a sight.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

You see, it's all about overcoming the problem, instead of working around it. If that makes sense.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Blazara

Post by Blazara »

danielngtiger wrote:
Blazara wrote:the seed moonsandmoonsand
Out of curiosity, is that "moon sand," or "moons and"?

OT:If I'm playing to get through the tech tree, without much automation, the ten hours estimate seems pretty good, but as discussed, the seed/materials found can affect this.
The seed is exactly as I posted it: moonsandmoonsand

I'm thinking of making a lil video of my current world and posting it here. Thoughts? If not, I'll at the very least construct an imgur gallery-esque collection and give you the link. I've tried to make it aesthetically pleasing and practical. I don't yet know when I'll get round to it though :L
Last edited by Blazara on Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blazara wrote: I, am a BETTERTHANwolfaboo.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

The other option is to just move to another location when you don't like your current one for whatever reason.

That's what I've been doing for the past year and it's worked out fine. I still come across the newb structures I built, and even though they look like ass, now I have a sentimental attachment to them anyways.

Its made my world much more interesting to "live" in.