Anonymous wants to shut down the internet

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Ungerbla

Anonymous wants to shut down the internet

Post by Ungerbla »

http://www.bgr.com/2012/03/28/anonymous ... -saturday/

kinda weird, they say they are doing it as a protest but i dont know.. arent there better forms of protesting?
is it even possible to shut the internet down?
Yea
TaterBoy

Re: Anonymous wants to shut down the internet

Post by TaterBoy »

I would get involved in this because it's an issue that does interest me...However, discussing politics is a no-no on these forums. The recently implemented Rule 4.
Cthulhu for President: It's not the right choice, it's the only choice.
Ungerbla

Post by Ungerbla »

aah yes, sorry. i was interested in the "shut down internet" part. is it possible?
Yea
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Ungerbla wrote:aah yes, sorry. i was interested in the "shut down internet" part. is it possible?
It's conceivably possible, but there's no way in hell they can pull it off. Don't worry ^.^
TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

Well, if you read the whole article one person explains that the way the global network works would prevent them from shutting the entire thing down at once, they could shut down pockets, but those outages would soon be fixed...So throughout the day you could say that at one point or another many servers will have crashed...But as for a Y2K scale of outages...*Seriously doubt their strategy will be the one that causes such a crash, (he does mention that it's possible, just not likely.)* Not at all a computer tech person, but that is what I gleaned from the link above.

*Edit: for clarity
Last edited by TaterBoy on Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Yes, as was revealed during the whole SOPA mess, the IT admins of the world have worked very hard to make sure DNS is very, very stable.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

TaterBoy wrote:Well, if you read the whole article one person explains that the way the global network works would prevent them from shutting the entire thing down at once, they could shut down pockets, but those outages would soon be fixed...So throughout the day you could say that at one point or another many servers will have crashed...But as for a Y2K scale of outages...Seriously doubt it is possible. Not at all a computer tech person, but that is what I gleaned from the link above.
From what I understand (Not too much ^.^), what they are talking about shutting down is just the dns servers, which essentially control website access through actual site names. The internet itself would still be functional, but most websites would be inaccessible.
TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

So this is an entirely different attack than a DDoS? Which as I understand is their usual modus operandi.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

TaterBoy wrote:So this is an entirely different attack than a DDoS? Which as I understand is their usual modus operandi.
DDoS will still probably be the style of attack they attempt to use to shut down the dns servers, but I doubt they would really be able to do any real damage to a dns server. Unless they have some other trick up their sleeve, this is probably just going to flop
TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

Spoiler
Show
BinoAl wrote:
TaterBoy wrote:So this is an entirely different attack than a DDoS? Which as I understand is their usual modus operandi.
DDoS will still probably be the style of attack they attempt to use to shut down the dns servers, but I doubt they would really be able to do any real damage to a dns server. Unless they have some other trick up their sleeve, this is probably just going to flop
Good thing too. I'm becoming quite fond of you wolfies...I'd miss you guys, even if it was just a day long outage. :)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Spoiler
Show
TaterBoy wrote:Good thing too. I'm becoming quite fond of you wolfies...I'd miss you guys, even if it was just a day long outage. :)
TaterBoy wrote:I'm becoming quite fond of you wolfies...
TaterBoy wrote:fond of you wolfies...
TaterBoy wrote:you wolfies...
TaterBoy wrote:wolfies
Requesting ban for grievously insulting the community.
But on a more lighthearted and on-topic note, lol.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Catox

Post by Catox »

TaterBoy wrote:Good thing too. I'm becoming quite fond of you wolfies...I'd miss you guys, even if it was just a day long outage. :)
you can also collect your favorite websites server ip addresses just in case ^__^
Syruse

Post by Syruse »

If Anon pulls a "Mission Impossible" and has people on the "inside" I can conceive of this happening. All I'm saying is they better have the hacker equivalent to Ethan Hunt or else its just a pipe dream.
An IRC Conversation wrote: [19:24] <Ribky> on the bright side, i did my first modifications with the MCP today... :)
[19:24] <Horizon> what's it do?
[19:25] <Ribky> it eats your goddamn animals
TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

Spoiler
Show
Stormweaver wrote:
TaterBoy wrote:youwolfies...

My apologies, sincerely. I meant Wolfaboos. Truce?
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

TaterBoy wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Stormweaver wrote:
TaterBoy wrote:youwolfies...

My apologies, sincerely. I meant Wolfaboos. Truce?
I think you misunderstand the definition of "Wolfaboo" ...
TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

I really thought I was paying a compliment, I'm honestly sorry if it wasn't. The delivery may have been bad, but my intentions were good.

Edit: I just looked it up in the Urban Dictionary. I had never heard the term before coming to this forum, so I thought maybe it was a nickname FC just gave to the more sincere fans. Scouts honor.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

TaterBoy wrote:I really thought I was paying a compliment, I'm honestly sorry if it wasn't. The delivery may have been bad, but my intentions were good.

Edit: I just looked it up in the Urban Dictionary. I had never heard the term before coming to this forum, so I thought maybe it was a nickname FC just gave to the more sincere fans. Scouts honor.
Wolfaboos means "wolf lovers", "FlowerChild Haters" and/or "Zoophiles" in this board.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

TaterBoy wrote:I really thought I was paying a compliment, I'm honestly sorry if it wasn't. The delivery may have been bad, but my intentions were good.

As itamarcu pointed out, unfortunately the term wolfaboo is about the total opposite of what you thought it was. xD
Raust is our one token wolfaboo, who we keep as a pet in order to teach the others the folly of their ways. Either that or to lull them into a false sense of security. I can't ever remember.
TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence.

Unless you're GI Socrates. Then the other half is "You don't know anything."
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

TheAnarchitect wrote:
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)

Unless you're GI Socrates. Then the other half is "You don't know anything."
If I had any more room in my signature, this would be part of it.
Rasuth

Post by Rasuth »

Taken care of that for ya, Morv. ;)

On Topic, I don't think that anonymous can effectively affect the Internet for long. But will just have to wait and see.
Unless you're GI Socrates. Then the other half is "You don't know anything
- TheAnarchitect
TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

Does making it into someone's signature mean I'm at least partially forgiven? :)

Back on topic, I followed the link to Robert Graham's blog to see his perspective in greater detail, it's definitely worth a look for those who haven't already.

Errata Security: No, Anonymous can't DDoS the root DNS servers

Edit: Hehe...This is even better. I never considered the fact that this is all probably an elaborate April Fool's Day joke "Anonymous Style"

We're Being Trolled
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

I personally think that they might as well attempt to shut down all stupidity in the world.

Then again anonymous is legion, they do not forgive, they do not forget, who knows what they've got up their fancy suit sleeves?

Some insider work isn't out of the question. Long preparing and a massive amount of reflectors isn't fully out of the question either. Then again, all of that is too much risk and too much buck for way too little bang.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see, yes?
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

morvelaira wrote:

As itamarcu pointed out, unfortunately the term wolfaboo is about the total opposite of what you thought it was. xD
Raust is our one token wolfaboo, who we keep as a pet in order to teach the others the folly of their ways. Either that or to lull them into a false sense of security. I can't ever remember.
Yeah, something along those lines, PR reasons in other words :)
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?