Favorite Webcomics

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
TaterBoy

Favorite Webcomics

Post by TaterBoy »

I've been following this for a while, and have even read through the backlog. The humor is often very esoteric, but almost as often it involves very cleverly written observations that are hard to distinguish from your own, kind of like the way common sense works.
In all it's quite funny, unless you really are the TL;DR type, then you will probably miss 90% of it. Most importantly because the artist bills his own comic as "Comix with too many words since 2007"
Hope you all enjoy it as much as I have.

Subnormality

Edit: Those of you with slow PCs beware, the size of the image on this page may make your computer sad.
Edit2: I went ahead and changed the title, so the thread can encompass more than one comic, and therefore will provide wider range of appeal. So feel free to post your favs, great or small.
Last edited by TaterBoy on Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cthulhu for President: It's not the right choice, it's the only choice.
Caboose

Re: Subnormality: The Ultimate TL;DR Webcomic

Post by Caboose »

Oh yeah, those comics are teal deer to the max, I tried to follow it, but gave up because ultimately, it was too much effort for not enough payoff.

The author is capable of simpler, to the point stuff, though, which I usually greatly enjoy when I can find it.
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

Wow, very, very few comics have ever stretched my screen horizontally before. That's impressive.

From what I saw the art style is good, but it's just a bit much for me. I'm fine with tl;dr type stuff if it's cut up in digestible chunks. I'd probably get a headache trying to read just one page of that.
TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

Caboose wrote:Oh yeah, those comics are teal deer to the max, I tried to follow it, but gave up because ultimately, it was too much effort for not enough payoff.

The author is capable of simpler, to the point stuff, though, which I usually greatly enjoy when I can find it.
Here's a good example of a concise, hysterical strip. One of my favs actually.
The Evolution of Alternative Music

And if you are looking for something that is profound, but provides more of an instant gratification effect. This one is awesome. I've seriously almost hurt myself laughing at a few of these.

Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal
Kain Magin

Re: Favorite Webcomics

Post by Kain Magin »

my fav's are VG Cats (2 cats make fun of video games)
http://www.vgcats.com/

and Looking For Group (loosely based on WoW)
http://www.lfgcomic.com/

LFG even has a song ^^
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:"Fuck me".
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

TaterBoy wrote:And if you are looking for something that is profound, but provides more of an instant gratification effect. This one is awesome. I've seriously almost hurt myself laughing at a few of these.

Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal
Oh yeah, I like that comic, I need to catch up when I have more free time.

Oh man, Favourite Webcomics? You sure you want me started on that? Hell, one of my favourite things to do is read through the entire archive of a comic and watch the art and writing grow.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Hmm... webcomics. Let's see, I change quite often (forget to check on some and they fade from my memory until someone reminds me (e.g. LFG (and the other - yet better IMO -comic by the same people LICD, others I discover and try out for some time):

xkcd - This one shouldn't need any introduction. It's made out of pure awesomeness with a big heaping of awesomesauce on top.
Something Positive - It makes FC look like a puppy loving, "love everyone"-spouting, naive idealist. An early example: Want to know what to get your ex-girfriend for a babyshower gift? A wire hanger!
SMBC - Very varying quality of the jokes, some are very funny and some are just meh.
Scandinavia and the World - Might be funniest for people from Scandinavia.
Sequential Art - I'm mostly following this one out of habit but it's still kinda fun.
Atomic Laundromat - What if superheroes (and villains) were real? Ever though of where they go to get that nasty stain of alien blood washed out?
Ménage à 3 - Not as dirty as the title sounds but it does contain sex. And geeks in Montréal.
Nerf Now - Gaming humor.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

I read XKCD and NerfNow (like Urian), and also Order Of The Stick.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Kee715

Post by Kee715 »

On top of what Urian said, I'd have to add...

Cyanide & Happiness (crude, horrible, vulgar humour)
AmazingSuperPowers (similar in vein to C&H)

Romantically Apocalyptic (post-apocalyptic humour)
Gone With The Blastwave (more post-apocalyptic humour. I think it's dead, though)

Questionable Content (fun to read; some hipster humour; relationship humour)
Girly (one of the most awesome comics I've read through. A shame it's finished, though)

Awkward Zombie (nerdy vidya humour)
Nerd^3 (epic story, uses Minecraft)
My brain is pants oblong uh oh.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Okay, you guys read Least I Could Do, don't you? It's by far the best webcomic out there in terms of everything. Updates 7/7 and the guy has two other comics that update biweekly too.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

Suprised The Oatmeal hasn't been mentioned yet, geeky humor and comedy type drawings :P
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
rhacer

Post by rhacer »

nor has Penny Arcade
Starshifterxen

Post by Starshifterxen »

I love White Ninja

He thinks like me.
TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

Caboose wrote:Hell, one of my favourite things to do is read through the entire archive of a comic and watch the art and writing grow.[/color]
I did the same thing with Questionable Content, (which Kee provided the link for) It's pretty amazing that it started out just a little better than stick figures and evolved into the beautifully rendered work it is now.

Also...I didn't see this one in the thread yet, but it's one of my favs, most of all I love the Chef character.

Ctrl+Alt+Del Gaming comic/slice of gamer life (yes gamer's have lives!)
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

I've read everything that was mentioned here at some point, gone trough the archives and am now waiting for them to build up again. I just hate waiting for updates you know?

Anyway, these haven't been mentioned yet: Doctor McNinja, Dresden Codak, Girl Genius. Oh and this is a gem: Digger.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Poppycocks wrote:Girl Genius
This. This so much. Girl genius is brilliant. I've been fan of the Foglio couple since the time they did a bunch of M:tG artwork.

Also worth a mention or ten: Erfworld
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I read way too many of these things. This is just a partial list featuring some of the better ones.

Bad Machinery formerly Scary Go Round. Featuring a British town populated by weirdness magnets.

David Willis' Stuff starting with a college comic punctuated by alien invasions

Dead Winter. Tongue in cheek zombie apocalypse.

Schlock Mercenary. Space mercenaries. In space!

Sluggy Freelance One of the earliest comics on the web so there's rather a lot of archive.

I am ARG The mind of an insane animator displayed in the form of a daily blog comic. Features a whole lot of cartoon phallus, including a wall of them built in Minecraft.

Sinfest. Canned irreverence. It's just fun and once in awhile it can be thought provoking.
Better is the enemy of Good
rhacer

Post by rhacer »

This one is high on the quirky geek factor but a lot of fun to read 2D Goggles.
Sajuuk

Post by Sajuuk »

I see a lot on this page I am familiar with and many I am not. Thanks everyone.

I'll contribute one link. I've been following an artist for over ten years, when I read a photoshop tutorial he put together for cell shading. A real nerd may recognize his art in the BESM role playing game core book. I was there when he started a comic in 2001 and right now it sits at 99 pages. A pathetically slow burn, but there is also a wealth of additional information on the background setting of his story available on the site.

Outsider by Jim Francis
[ IGN = Herpingderp ]
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

I can advise you Manly Guys Doing Manly Things. It´s pretty funny.

http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

I read a bunch. Dr. McNinja, SMBC, Red Meat and The Perry Bible Fellowship Comics are my favourites. The last two especially for their absurd and sometimes rather disturbing sense of humour.
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

MS Paint Adventures has not been mentioned yet.

I shall take the opportunity to mention it now.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?