Show us your builds!

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
StormBeforeDawn

Re: Show us your builds!

Post by StormBeforeDawn »

Just a peek at my current project, abusing that new height limit with a bit of BTB
Spoiler
Show
I cant find any bigimage tags or however it works here, oh well, its in a spoiler tag for a reason. Can't wait to show some vids when this is finished.
~Storm
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

Here are my two main worlds:
The Old Country
Show
This is a survival world dating back to Alpha ~1.5, still in use. It's unfortunately quite frumpy at the moment since it was abandoned for a while and has recently been undergoing rapid industrialization. Texturepack is Glimmar's Steampunk.
An overview of my main settlement.
The town hall, the only decent building so far.
A rural rail station that was never finished, as the rail system depended on booster carts and has never been fixed.
Far outside of town, the great tower "Panoctagon Ex Mortis." This is where my excess cobble has been going, recently expanded to take advantadge of 1.2.3. The top is where my only enchanting table is, 16 stories up. Steel+Unbreaking III is well worth the climb.
A brief look at Kingsport, my castle town. That's all you're going to get because it is ugly and has been lying unfinished for years.
The site of my skeleton spawner trap.
Gamera vs Minecraft
Show
This is a creative world. The texturepack is mine, it's not out yet.
A fully automated donut shop, just off Route 66. Please ignore the unfinished scorpion monster.
Inside. "Organically grown with lasers!"

These are all of an ex-spaceport in the desert. It's empty now, in need of re-design.

A flying saucer! Well, it's not flying right now...
All aboard...
A control panel that actually does something! It controls the chaser lights around the perimeter.
Engage!

"Mechanoid Control"
Inside...
Dum-dum dum!
A giant robot!
Is there a host that won't charge to view large images? I didn't know Imageshack did that.

Edit: removed some boring functional stuff
EdzyWhat

Post by EdzyWhat »

Really beautiful stuff guys.

To Graphite, thanks for the link notice. Your buildings are beautiful. The Biome ring stands out, but your structures in general are very impressive. They have a very good-looking trustworthiness to them, if you could attribute that to construction... And your nether portal fort is simple and awesome.

SterlingRed, the variety in your factory exteriors is inspiring. All the different materials! I'll be looking to steal some cues from your work in the future.

Dr. Kylstein, what do you mean by fully automated donut shop? I'm intriuged. Also, I really like how Panoctagon Ex Mortis skillfully changes radius halfway up. You use the tower for anything other than enchanting?
I had an image here once. Then I took an arrow... somewhere...
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

EdzyWhat wrote:Dr. Kylstein, what do you mean by fully automated donut shop? I'm intriuged.
It's got an auto wheat farm connected to a millstone and a cauldron behind the counter. The seeds aren't automatically recycled, but it can run unattended for quite a while.
EdzyWhat wrote:Also, I really like how Panoctagon Ex Mortis skillfully changes radius halfway up. You use the tower for anything other than enchanting?
Other than being a cobble dump? Nope. It's also convenient to nowhere. Great view though.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

EdzyWhat wrote: SterlingRed, the variety in your factory exteriors is inspiring. All the different materials! I'll be looking to steal some cues from your work in the future.
I don't like the spacing, after 3 buildings I realized I'd wanted them further apart to accommodate a 'boardwalk' and I should have made space for a capitol building in the middle of the buildings. But thanks! If you look closely, they all follow the same basic design. Log supports spaced 3 or 4 apart depending on the building size. Windows are framed with one or two
material types filled with glass or grates. I want the buildings themselves to
show progression of ages based on what they're for. Sawmill is obviously wood age thus the building is all wood material. Stewing pots don't really go in an age as their functionality isn't just in one age. So I'm making that building based on the idea that there will be lots of heat inside necessetating a stone/brick construction. Steel factory building will likely incorporate pillars.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

So you may have already seen this cabin in a different thread:
Spoiler
Show
Lets get the views from the porch, shall we?
Spoiler
Show
ImageImage
Here's most of the build as seen from the bay.
Spoiler
Show
Up top is the first night cabin, which is still where I sleep. Those walls are my terraced gardens. The lower left building is the workshop, while the lower right building is the chicken coop. In the other view you see the windmill and the completed grindstone house.

This run-through I'm playing as castaway on a jungle Island. Poor steve assumes he's still on earth, and that the skeletons and zombies are simply angry cannibal natives. He's not quite caught on yet, though finding this just off shore has started to clue him in....
Spoiler
Show
I'm taking my sweet time climbing the tech tree on this one. Steve is still in survival mode: he's not going to start full industrialization until he realizes he's never getting back home. By that time, I'll probably abandon this island base in favor of someplace with a lot more room.

::Edit:: Steve has decided it's time to go farther than the few swampy islands he's visited in his little raft.
Spoiler
Show
Yes, I'm using the Zeppelin Mod, so I can actually move this thing (you don't think I'd ruin my view with it permanently, do you?) I wish textures from Mod Blocks displayed correctly when using the Zeppelin Mod. I'd love to include some BTW blocks in the design. Especially Rope. But unless it uses a standard texture I get weird results from blocks from any mod.

I'm also thinking of installing Millenaire to give me a reason to sail about.
Last edited by TheAnarchitect on Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

TheAnarchitect, i totally like the design/layout. good stuff!
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

I've always been too damn lazy to automate wolf feeding, so I made an item decay based timer hooked up to dispensers with porkchops in them. Yay!
Spoiler
Show
rhacer

Post by rhacer »

@TheAnarchitect: You sir are a master of design.
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

Thought I'd just give a tour of my world so far :)
Spoiler
Show

That's my tower to the sky. It goes down all the way to bedrock level, and I'm working on extending it all the way up to the height limit. Huge nostalgia there, this is a replica of the first real base I ever made in minecraft :) The windmill used to power my mechanical stuff, but since my mechanical stuff is in the basement, it was impossible to turn it off in time for inclement weather, so I switched to water wheel power the first chance I got.

If you'll follow me through my front entrance, guarded by the wonders of obsidian...

You'll find the main lobby, where I store my stuff.

Here's my workshop, in the basement...

And on the "1st" floor, this is my elevated crop garden, with wheat and hemp.

Here's my sugar cane farm.

Down below you can see my chicken pit, my wool and pig pit, and my new automated bovine bondage breeding barn.

This is pretty much identical to the design I used in my old world, but this time it's made of stone, and the fenced area is smaller. It works via three item dispensers feeding the cows and then re-suppressing the circuit for 5 minutes, then doing it again. It has a FEW bugs, but I like it for the most part.

Here are my cats, being... well... cats, and doing... whatever, I suppose. I don't know what I'm going to do about the whole jumping on beds and chests thing...

And as you've likely come to expect from me, my wolves enjoy the best living conditions on this forum. They dispense their dung, I feed them, they get sunlight. The dung demand just isn't high enough for me to have any reason to automate it :)
That pretty much covers it! Hope you enjoyed :)
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

rhacer wrote:@TheAnarchitect: You sir are a master of design.
Thanks a bunch.

Oddly enough, that's literally the truth. I have a master's degree in design.

Minecraft makes it really really easy to make mega-scale construction. So for me, the challenge has become to make everything as small as possible. I spend way more time trying to find the perfect placement for a single block then I spend actually gathering resources. That's why I'm only as far as my first windmill after a week playing this world.
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

"In der beschränkung zeigt sich erst der meister"

So far my maps tend to progress in the following way:

1. Start world
2. Build some starter stuff
3. Build bigger stuff
4. Build even bigger stuff
5. Go "egad, that looks horrible"
6. Come to the conclusion that I can't be bothered tearing it down again
7. Goto 1

I try to constrain myself to functionally big nowadays, which fortunately is a lot easier to do now since BtW actually gives you stuff to fill said large buildings.

P.S. I love that garden-lamp, Anarchitect... I may just have to um... borrow it :P
rhacer

Post by rhacer »

That used to be my modus operandi too. However, I've been enjoying my current world so much that the stuff I abandoned I just took a pickaxe too and made it look like it was run down and no longer used. I kinda like the effect.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

"If we see far, it is because we stand on the backs of giants."

I don't, personally, believe in ownership of ideas. If I didn't want you to use my designs, I wouldn't share them. That way people can solve other design problems, and I can steal their ideas in turn.
Flint_Forgefeu

Post by Flint_Forgefeu »

Ok, here is my contribution to this topic :)

First of all, the house where I start my BTW adventure
The small building is an access to the main base underground.

This is another access to my base with a piston door and a scenic view to my reed farm.

Here a view using the Noclip command from SPC. This is the inside of the base with all my BTW stuff.

My current project : A floating Island city (thanks SPC for the fly command)

And finally a global view.
TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

Flint_Forgefeu wrote:Ok, here is my contribution to this topic :)
I really like your floating island. It makes me want to make something that looks like those buildings in Bioshock Infinite, though I'd probably use windmills to give the appearance of engines.
Spoiler
Show
Cthulhu for President: It's not the right choice, it's the only choice.
Flint_Forgefeu

Post by Flint_Forgefeu »

Yep I think I will use some Windmill on larger island to get the same effect :)
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

Hoppers are awesome, but they present, in my experience, a very difficult aesthetic challenge, in that it's nearly impossible to conceal the axels powering them like you can with other mechanical devices... Is this anybody else's experience as well?
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

Fairly simple solution, you can put them and their power source several levels below your factory with a one block passage leading straight to the hopper, as long as the stuff you are collecting is falling straight down, the distance won't matter and it'll be out of sight.

Out of sight, out of mind no?

Edit: p.s.
As an aside, I learned a trick in one of Battosay's tutorials that I've been using ever since with my water flows, and it's saved me so many headaches. For all the time I've been playing the game I never knew you could prevent water from falling over a ledge by placing a sign across from it...Quite possibly my first eureka moment since starting to use BTW. With this method you can make the chute to your hopper quite well disguised using glass, potted plants, etc...Anything you like really.
Cthulhu for President: It's not the right choice, it's the only choice.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I don't know, Raust. If you are running your mechanical power through a 1 block hole in a wall, and put the hopper right against the wall, you are mostly there. Sure, from the bottom you can see down the hole, but putting a gearbox right there prevents the hole from being more than 1 deep.

Don't forget you can put half-panels against the sides of your hopper, with corners.

My question is, why are you powering the hopper? What do you need it for? Because the ways of setting this stuff up depend heavily on what your needs are. Consider that maybe the mechanical power can be an aesthetic choice itself, not something to hide away.
Cuchonchuir

Post by Cuchonchuir »

Great stuff posted! I love seeing other great designs to get more inspiration. It's really pretty amazing the different aesthetic looks that one can create.

Me, I still like the castle look. :P This is my world. I used TMI to go into Creative mode for the pics, but I built the world legitimately, with materials I gathered myself.
Spoiler
Show
The "front". The domed building in the left-hand corner is my storage building, and the sandstone building attached is my workshop. Across is the slaughterhouse, and the small sandstone roofed building leads down into my mine via elevator. Far on the right is my iron golem farm. It produces very little, but was really just at test to understand their spawn conditions better. For those curious, I just made tiny cells with a door and a testificate in each one, and it works fine.

When I started this side I built it on a peninsula - so while this side is square, the rest of my castle follows the natural contours of the beach.
Spoiler
Show
The "back". You can clearly see the Testificate village I built, including the police station, insane asylum, and graveyard. :D While I was building those, I had many Testificates turn themselves in for help or admitting to crimes by jumping into cells. It was surprising.

The Testificate village is genuinely BUSTLING. I just spawned a few in and they went crazy - there are currently four iron golems protecting them, all spawned by them, not me.

You can see the moat in both pictures; I made five drawbridges with gatehouses to get out. The walls are eight meters high. The moat goes all the way around except where the water naturally occurs.
rhacer

Post by rhacer »

That is really amazingly beautiful. Well done. I'm pleased that everything I've built I've built legit, but it's nowhere near that kind of scale.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I'm still having to work in very short sessions of 10 minutes or less but I've prototyped a new open stairway design. Not perfect since rope won't intersect anchors from above unless they're placed flat and I'm never going to request they do. You probably shouldn't either.
Spoiler
Show
ImageImageImageImage
Next up, finishing the wiring of my brewing room. There will be a button by the stairs controlling a toggle that will switch the lighting on in a staggered pattern over the course of a couple seconds.
Spoiler
Show
Better is the enemy of Good
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

That stair has a nice modern feel. I think the hanging effect on it helps.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
orangeweaver

Post by orangeweaver »

Damn, Dave I love that staircase, such a simple, creative use of the rope and anchors. Really nicely done.