Show us your builds!

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Foxy Boxes

Re: Show us your builds!

Post by Foxy Boxes »

With the upcoming update, who knows?
Really it's just because I wanted to fully automate the process.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

TheAnarchitect wrote:How many gears do you need?
I like to build things small, neat and functional, mussing over every block, just like you.

But aren't you slowly starting to become a bit... you know, overzealous about it?
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

No, that wasn't a comment on the build, it was legitimate wonder at how many gears he might be using. One stack of wood results in, what, 16 stacks of gears? Simply wanting to automate it for automations sake is a good a reason as any, though. I also like machines where you put raw materials in one end and get complex finished product out the other. For a BTB build, for example, this could feed into an autocrafting table for a wide variety of stuff.

For my own purposes, a programable version where I can set it to produce whatever I need would be awesome. I think I'll work on building one of those. So compliments on the machine, It gives me ideas.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Blazara

Post by Blazara »

I put this on another topic but oh well :)

Here's the link to my album of my current world, the large building seen is my usual scale of house, I can't live in small spaces :S

http://imgur.com/a/jQJxv
Blazara wrote: I, am a BETTERTHANwolfaboo.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

TheAnarchitect wrote:No, that wasn't a comment on the build, it was legitimate wonder at how many gears he might be using. One stack of wood results in, what, 16 stacks of gears? Simply wanting to automate it for automations sake is a good a reason as any, though. I also like machines where you put raw materials in one end and get complex finished product out the other. For a BTB build, for example, this could feed into an autocrafting table for a wide variety of stuff.

For my own purposes, a programable version where I can set it to produce whatever I need would be awesome. I think I'll work on building one of those. So compliments on the machine, It gives me ideas.
Ah, I shouldn't have been so hasty in my surmise. My apologies.

As far as the programmable machine goes, I've got my own ideas as well :) I probably won't build it multistory though, I think I'll try a looping feed instead.
maxsi

Post by maxsi »

my lasted project
Spoiler
Show
the pig-men farm
Blazara wrote:Better Than Wolves: So seamless, you don't know what you've got into... ;)
rhacer

Post by rhacer »

TheAnarchitect wrote:How many gears do you need?
I just ran into a situation where I mocked up how many gearboxes I need and it was 20 just to get the project started! Most gears I've ever needed at one time I'm guessing I'll end up doubling that 20. I'm certainly grateful that there is no loss of power over distance with the mechanical power.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Maxsi, I love those walls. Are those alternating stairs?
maxsi

Post by maxsi »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Maxsi, I love those walls. Are those alternating stairs?
no the are stone sidings
Spoiler
Show
Blazara wrote:Better Than Wolves: So seamless, you don't know what you've got into... ;)
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

That's pretty. I'm adding it to my repertoire of patterned masonry walls. And never let it be said I take without contributing: One of my friends showed me this interesting patterned wall using stairs.
Spoiler
Show
Start with a row of stairs, rotating each stair 90 degrees from the last one. It will look something like this:Image

You can continue that along as far as you like.
Then start another row of stairs, same pattern, but offset from the row below it by one.

Keep that up vertically, and you get something like this:

You get small peepholes and shelves. It's a pretty cool approximation of some awesome masonry walls I've seen in 50's modernist ranch houses.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Those walls look awesome but it seems like it would take forever to get those walls all aligned correctly...
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

Added this to my bookmark folder for those two walls, really cool example of how cool something simple can look in MC. My constructions are pretty square and cobblestone-y, but the BTW crowd has really been inspiring me in terms of aesthetics lately.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

And in honor of the New Release, here's my secret door build that didn't work before but does now.
Spoiler
Show

Yeah, I don't have a microphone, and haven't really figured out video editing yet, so y'all get a raw soundless desktop recording.

The button sends a signal that turns on the gearboxes for a few ticks. The turntables are set to 2 ticks. One turntable has redsignal going to it, but which one depends on the current state of a T-flipflop. The door button also hits the flipflop, each press reverses the spin on the doors. This is what makes it open/close. Hook this up to a pulse generator and any of the "hidden switch" designs you've seen elsewhere, and you've got a sweet setup for eventual SMP hiding.

What's the advantage of this over piston doors? Well, you only need to hide the turntables on the bottom, so you can build this right into a tall flat wall. I'm trying to figure out how to get that redsignal to the turntables from below, so I can put several of these right next to each other as folding walls. Let you know when I figure it out.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Finally finished my Sky Grinder. I showed earlier test builds of this before I got the kinks worked out and built it in my legit world. A silly amount of resources and time went into this, but hey, it was fun and that's all that really matters ;)

I should be able to get stupid drop rates, but I would need to add a minecart track up the side of the thing to get me within the 40 block radius mobs need to move about. I may build one eventually, but I really only use this for gun powder. I already found spawners for spiders, zombies, and skeletons.

With out further adeu, lots of pictures.
Spoiler
Show
Pillers disappearing into the heavens. My favorite part of this build is the excessive use of columns. My favorite aesthetic block FlowerChild added to BTW.

Access to the collection room is via a lift. I integrated the bottom floor into a larger complex that currently just has a small storage room/bedroom/crafting room. I like to build bedrooms into every complex on my base with atleast an anvil, crafting bench, and a bunch of chests.

As you reach the collection floor of the sky grinder you get a glimpse of the drive shafts powering the lift, hoppers, and saws.

Exiting the lift is the first floor containing the collection chests and light controls for the grinder. The hoppers are merely in series with no filters, though I could add filters at a later date.

Finally, all of this is powered by a wheel house at the base of the grinder's support columns.

Well, that's that. On to the next build :)
Last edited by Mr_Hosed on Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Mr_Hosed wrote:Finally finished my Sky Grinder. I showed earlier test builds of this before I got the kinks worked out and built it in my legit world. A silly amount of resources and time went into this, but hey, it was fun and that's all that really matters ;)

I should be able to get stupid drop rates, but I would need to add a minecart track up the side of the thing to get me within the 40 block radius mobs need to move about. I may build one eventually, but I really only use this for gun powder. I already found spawners for spiders, zombies, and skeletons.

With out further adeu, lots of pictures.
Spoiler
Show
Pillers disappearing into the heavens. My favorite part of this build is the excessive use of columns. My favorite aesthetic block FlowerChild added to BTW.

Access to the collection room is via a lift. I integrated the bottom floor into a larger complex that currently just has a small storage room/bedroom/crafting room. I like to build bedrooms into every complex on my base with atleast an anvil, crafting bench, and a bunch of chests.

As you reach the collection floor of the sky grinder you get a glimpse of the drive shafts powering the lift, hoppers, and saws.

Exiting the lift is the first floor containing the collection chests and light controls for the grinder. The hoppers are merely in series with no filters, though I could add filters at a later date.

Finally, all of this is powered by a wheel house at the base of the grinder's support columns.
Well, that's that. On to the next build :)
That is... RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME. +1 Internet from me.
rhacer

Post by rhacer »

The scale of that is amazing! Really really well done.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Poppycocks wrote:That is... RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME. +1 Internet from me.
rhacer wrote:The scale of that is amazing! Really really well done.
Thanks guys =)
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

When I think I managed my first semi-automated netherrack grinder, soul urn filler and concentrated hellfire machine. It's slow due to one millstone but it is my first semi-automated machine.
Spoiler
Show
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

destineternel wrote:When I think I managed my first semi-automated netherrack grinder, soul urn filler and concentrated hellfire machine. It's slow due to one millstone but it is my first semi-automated machine.
Spoiler
Show
Ooh, I like that one. Nice and simple... unlike mine...

You could easily add more millstones to speed it up; it's a good design.

But yeah, I just finished my own design of a machine that does pretty much the same thing, but it is kind of massive, and quite a bit more complicated, but I think in this case the complexity actually does make it kind of cool.

A description of my design is in the spoiler.
Spoiler
Show
I have one hopper at the very top that feeds netherrack into a vanilla dispenser on a turntable that splits the netherrack between four millstones. The ground netherrack from the millstones goes to four hoppers that feed into four vanilla dispensers that are facing eachother. Two monostable circuits, one on a delay, activated from the same source, provide two pulses to the dispensers, dropping 8 ground netherrack into a water stream that goes over a soulsand hopper, much like in destineternel's design, filling urns and leaving the hellfire dust to go to collection or a cauldron or whatever. The same signal from the DB in the urn replacing system goes back up to the two monostables, sending 8 more ground netherrack, starting the process again. One of the consequences of this design is that it will only run as long as there are urns to fill, since the signal that continues the process is provided by the DB detecting the presence/disappearance of urns. This is good if you don't want to "waste" ground netherrack by filtering it into hellfire dust without filling an urn as well. The grinding process will always run regardless (as long is it has stuff to grind), since it isn't part of the loop, but the loop will need to be kickstarted, if it isn't running, with a manual signal to the monostables. I also have a combination auto potterywheel and kiln feeding urns into the system, but that isn't necessary unless you want to be able to produce hellfire dust and and soul urns from just netherrack and clay.

Next on the list is to add iron and coal into the system to produce nethercoal and steel as well.
I'll try to post some screenshots of it soon.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

Long time lurker and BTW player here, figured it was finally time to register and actually be part of the community behind this awesome mod!
destineternel wrote:When I think I managed my first semi-automated netherrack grinder, soul urn filler and concentrated hellfire machine. It's slow due to one millstone but it is my first semi-automated machine.
Spoiler
Show
For some reason it never occured to me to connect a stewing pot to the netherrack output :-\

My own design for bottling souls is a big bulky machine, but thats mainly because I like to wrap it all up in a layer of innocent looking wood to conceal the horrors taking place within:
Spoiler
Show
The main feature of the soul bottler is that once you fill it with stuff, it actually runs completely independent until resources have been exhausted. A detector block sees that there is nothing in front of it, so via a combined redstone pulse generator and inverter, it sends a signal to an input stabilizer that connects to a BD with empty urns. The same pulse is sent to 8 vanilla dispensers, who each fire a block of netherrack into a water stream, that takes it to the millstone, who grinds it and passes it over the hopper and into a chest.

If the redstone seems overly complicated, it probably is, but it was the only way I could make an automaticly resetting system that only fires the dispensers once while keeping BD on and pulsing it off-on when it needs to put out a new urn. Ugly as it may be, it does work though. It does have one bug that I am still working on though, when the BD is empty it just keeps triggering the pulse generator, making the dispensers fire madly unless I balance the netherrack with the urns avaliable. Also, the redstone circuit on the ground was a late addition to the machine, otherwise it would have been hidden away as well :)

The upper right of the image is my Hemp-o-Matic 9000, which uses a lens/buddy block system to detect growth. I have a much grander and more resource efficient design of this in my laboratory world, which has about 8 times the capacity as base, but is infinitely extendable. I just havent found any use for rope that the ol' 9000 cannot cover :)
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

I just started building something I don't even know how to call. Basically it's supposed to be a morse reader/transceiver using lens.

How it works:

A memory of 10 blocks (in this case, pistons) is in a 4X4 square lacking 2 corners, and constantly spun by pistons. Below one of the blocks is a turntable, which only spins the piston above it (and basically changing the "memory") if the input (a detector, reading the lens) is on. This way a message sent to the other side would be stored in the memory, and to reset it you just rotate every piston to its original position (I'm using a BD for that).

I needed a block that could:
1. Be pushed by pistons
2. Can be toggled between 2 states (or more) easily
3. Can output different signals depending on its state

The only things that could do it were blocks with facing, of which only the piston and the DB would work. do you have other ideas?
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

EDIT:

I need a block which is a Bit - it's got at least 2 states, they can be quickly changed, it can output its state somehow (for instance, pistons or detector blocks can do it) and it can be pushed by pistons.

Any suggestions?
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Light blocks, either the new toggle glowstone or FC's version. Either on or off, and can be read with a lens.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Light blocks, either the new toggle glowstone or FC's version. Either on or off, and can be read with a lens.
I would love to, but I need a block that once toggled will stay that way even if pushed by pistons (or placed by BD, if possible). The only thing I thought of is the new Redstone Light, since if it's broken it will stay powered, but I don't know how well they work with BD/Pistons.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Wouldn't simply replacing one block with another using a BD accomplish this?