Show us your builds!

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
bwyw

Re: Show us your builds!

Post by bwyw »

Put together a small demo on how to destroy minecarts, receive the original minecart as items, and capture the contents in a hopper.

23 seconds; proves no loss of items
Spoiler
Show
5 seconds for the impatient
Spoiler
Show
This screenshot demonstrates the main mechanism. Note the distribution of items, and the vitally important 3rd spot repeater, creating a pulse that lights a fire for a specific period of time.
Spoiler
Show
Save file: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/376651/demo%20 ... troyer.zip

Edit: I'm an idiot. If a mod wants to move this into the 'Sharing useful builds that get the job done' thread, it probably fits better there.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

bwyw wrote:Snip
Wow, I love it!

Now, can you filter the cart and send it back to the tracks? :P
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

jorgebonafe wrote:
bwyw wrote:Snip
Wow, I love it!

Now, can you filter the cart and send it back to the tracks? :P
Assuming it contains purely mining resources, an iron gate filter should get rid of everything but the minecart, which could go into a hopper -> BD -> Rail back up to the track. In theory...
bwyw

Post by bwyw »

Assuming it contains purely mining resources, an iron gate filter should get rid of everything but the minecart, which could go into a hopper -> BD -> Rail back up to the track. In theory...
Unfortunately destroying a chest-bearing-minecart drops both the minecart and the chest separately. So you could filter out the minecart, but when you placed it, it would be a regular minecart instead of a chest-minecart.

A BD could hold 16 chest-minecarts, and a powered hopper above it could keep filling it up... but eventually you'd have to manually reload.
Rich131

Post by Rich131 »

Here's a quick video of an elevator I made.

There is a platform block on the other side of one of the anchors which completes a circuit to open the doors when the lift gets to each level. It is only a BD T-Flipflop which makes the lift go between my basement level and the above village. It does keep the villagers from wandering into my saw etc. :)
Yesterday, today was tomorrow & tomorrow, today will be yesterday.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I created this wheat/cow-farm awhile ago, but finally got around to hooking up the seed return this evening, so figured I'd share the final contraption, since it looks suitably "death-starish" for my tastes ;)
Spoiler
Show
I'll probably get around to covering a few other bits of it in glass once I get my cobble-blaster up and running, but otherwise, I'm done with it.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

FlowerChild wrote:-snip-
The realm of FLOWERCTHULHU, my EYES noo... wait... It looks fairly peachy there. Where have you hidden the Infernal Summoning Death and Dismemberment Device(tm)?

[/funnies]

Nice design, FC. Looks compact, and the redstone doesn't give me a headache. So this is a multi-functional farm? Mobs and wheat? Or just cows and wheat? Melons? Pumpkins? The possibilities!
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ulfengaard wrote:Nice design, FC. Looks compact, and the redstone doesn't give me a headache. So this is a multi-functional farm? Mobs and wheat? Or just cows and wheat? Melons? Pumpkins? The possibilities!
Well, it's not so much designed as improvised. I don't generally do anything but a very basic conceptual design for my builds (wheat in this end...cows out this one), then I just work at it until I'm done.

Personally, I prefer a slightly cobbled-together look to things, rather than sleek and maximally efficient, plus I find I have more fun if I just figure things out on the fly.

And yeah, it's just a self-sustaining cow-farm with a built in wheat-farm to produce just enough to keep the cows breeding (I have 12 plants going in there). Each of the two cows has its own independent wheat supply, with each of those feeding its own seeds back in (hence the two item elevators you can see working there). The two wheat farms are synced to harvest simultaneously with a DB on one plant in each. A five minute timer triggers downward facing BD's above both cows simultaneously to dispense wheat.

I decided for a double-elevator design in this build instead of separating wheat and seeds from a single farm, to the two animals. It's in no way maximally-efficient, but I like the way it looks with all the moving parts, and it produces more than enough for my needs.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

FlowerChild wrote: I have more fun if I just figure things out on the fly.
Heh, that's exactly how I build stuff too, decide on input and output locations and then make it happen :P

Nice build :]
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Rich131

Post by Rich131 »

I like to try and create automated builds without directly copying others, but sometimes I have to watch Battosay's videos just to get my brain in BTW mode. Whenever I do something entirely on my own, it usually ends up with a gigantic maze of redstone taking up more space than the actual build!

Even when they do work, I often end up with minor faults like this 1 tick uneven lift, which drive me up the walls.

(Large Image)
Spoiler
Show
Yesterday, today was tomorrow & tomorrow, today will be yesterday.
rusky

Post by rusky »

With the impending doom of BTB, I found myself needing to redesign many of my machines to work without pipes.
I generally like having a central control room where I can neatly input stuff and get them back as output from any machine, with the inner workings neatly hidden behind walls.

To begin with, I decided to tackle the challenge of creating a pure BTW, automatic deep milling facility (yup, milling, not mining :D ).
The reason for making something like this is simple: I hate listening to the crazy screaming when I mill netherrack.

This is what I managed to do in the end, currently still just in my creative test world, but building it in my survival world is already underway. (spoilered for big pictures) :
Spoiler
Show
The "central control room", where one simply comes and puts in all the stuff that needs milling then comes back later and picks up the goods:

An overall view:

The design itself is somewhat modular (the bottom part, including the 3 step item dispenser could be cloned, then another item dispenser used on top to increase milling output, but who the hell needs that kind of output anyway :o ).
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

My new world:
Spoiler
Show
Outside of the castle (thanks to Graphite for the outside design!)(The rest is original)
Gate. It will be hooked up to a waterwheel, I just haven't done that yet.
View of the inside from the gate
View of the side of the courtyard (both sides are the same so only one is shown)
Hidden stair case
Area the staircase leads to. Unfinished.
Bottom of the inside of a tower
Looking up
View from a tower to the rest of my base. The closest building was my first real house, and it houses my anvil, storage, and my mine (hence the glass roof). On the far right in the back is the start of my factory. What is there is just one empty floor without a roof. Right behind the nether portal is the beginnings of an auto dung farm (Really hard to see, it is the pit with extended pistons in the back (Anarchitects design) In the far back is a ship for exploration using zepplin mod (slight variation of Anarchitect's boat in Castaway) and a dock. The small ugly cobble structure on the left center is an auto cobble generator, hooked up to two BDs on a 7 clock, which is about 95% efficient, since rarely the BD gets a chance to place a block, but it is normally covered by a newly generated cobble so it cannot place. Below that around the pond is my waterwheel with a saw, kiln/cauldron/crucible setup (blocked), millstone, and powered soulsand hopper. Opposite that on the pond is 50 hemp plants. Directly above that is a surface spider dungeon.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

That's a really nice building.

What's the TP though? I can't recognize it.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Sphax
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Oh! Do I recognize the basic layout for your first house there? :3
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

Heh, that house definitely looked familiar, yeah. Love what you've done with the place. You should try placing a few blocks of leaves around the towers as hedges. It really livens up the place :)
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

morvelaira wrote:Oh! Do I recognize the basic layout for your first house there? :3
Now that I think of it, yeah, I did get the original design from you. Huh. Forgot about that. Thanks for a great design! I usually use that or a slightly bigger version as my house.
Graphite wrote:Heh, that house definitely looked familiar, yeah. Love what you've done with the place. You should try placing a few blocks of leaves around the towers as hedges. It really livens up the place :)
Alright, thanks for the suggestion. I'll do that. Also, what do you recommend to break up the back wall? In my world there is a drop off at the back so it ends in a terrible looking flat cobblestone mass.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

You could try mixing in some cobblestone stairs or slabs to create ledges and the like. If you're using the vanilla textures, nothing can stop the cobble bits from blending into each other though :P
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

half-slabs create a little more shadow and break up those cobble lines a little better.
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Okay, I just got one of my first 'official' projects done in my new world, and I wanted to share.

This is my automatic sheep sheering factory:
Spoiler
Show
This is the front:

This is right when you walk in:

To the left:

To the right:

From the back:

Outside from above:

And a nice high up over view:
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Here are the "temples" I made for every Stronghold, based on the theory that each has its own element:

Water:
Spoiler
Show
Fire (Not a stronghold, just a temple):
Spoiler
Show
Earth:
Spoiler
Show
I had no idea of what to build for Air, so I just coated the walls with Wool :)

EDIT:

Also, my newest world:
Spoiler
Show
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Awfulcopter

Post by Awfulcopter »

A Japanese-style castle built in a seed provided by kregoth. The castle is being built in hard mode with HCB on. This first picture is from an early stage of construction.
I estimate about 20% of my building time is spent recovering from plummets to my death.

Spoiler
Show
Covering any large flat surface with doodads and thingamabobs makes it look a lot better. Any time I watch a let's build video I make mental note of any wall dooddage that the author used that I have not seen before.

It is as important to break up your horizontal surfaces as vertical. These terraces confuse the eye and make the space seem bigger and more interesting than it is.

This building is central to the castle grounds, so it was important that the roof line be interesting from all angles. When I plan a building I decide what the roof will look like first. The rest of the building follows from that.

Closely tying together natural forums and architectural forms is an important element in shintoist architecture. And nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?

I picked a Japanesque theme because the vertical nature of fanciful Japanese buildings lends itself well to BTW contraptions.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Wow, that looks great, Awfulcopter! You should probably try Eriottosan's Japanese Architecture mod :)
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Awfulcopter... that ... I mean ... there are no words ... That is actually beautiful (:. Well done! I'm in awe at your building skills! How long has it taken you, roughly?

Itamarcu - I'm not 100% clear on the forum rules for discussing mods, and as I've yet to split it into an addon, you might be best holding back on the recommendations - I love that you are so taken by it, but I wouldn't want you getting in trouble due to circumstance! xD
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
Awfulcopter

Post by Awfulcopter »

Itamarcu wrote:Wow, that looks great, Awfulcopter! You should probably try Eriottosan's Japanese Architecture mod :)
For sure. It was his mod that inspired me to go with this theme. I wanted to get the basic building established with only BTW blocks, so that if ever the Japanese Architecture mod loses compatability, it won't break my world. Once construction is finished I'll iterate over the castle adding lamps and paper walls and cherry trees.
Eriottosan wrote:Awfulcopter... that ... I mean ... there are no words ... That is actually beautiful (:. Well done! I'm in awe at your building skills! How long has it taken you, roughly?
It has taken quite a while. I'd guess close to 40 hours. But that's partly because i didn't have a clear picture how I wanted things to look.

My building style is to build a roof sitting on a box. Then Look at it for a while. Then go back and iterate the design; make the roof better in some way, improve the level of doodadage on the walls, add some landscaping; just anything to improve it a little. I do that over and over until I'm happy. That means the first building in a new style takes me a long time, but further buildings go up pretty quickly.

I have four tips that I have picked up:
-design buildings from the roofline down
-build your buildings large, to give room for detailing
-always try and remember the golden ratio (using numbers from the fibonacci sequence for wall lengths and heights).
-iterate. Build simple at first, and go back and add details over and over.
Last edited by Awfulcopter on Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.