Off-Topic Hell (Was: An Important Announcement)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Off-Topic Hell (Was: An Important Announcement)

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, I've got some good news and some bad news. Since I'm not willing to run a poll, and since it's usually my first choice, I'll present the bad news first:

Bad News

-As of today, there will be no new features released for Better Than Wolves. I may put out one more small release to tie up a few loose ends, and will continue to provide bug-fixes and updates for new versions of Minecraft, but the mod will essentially remain in the state it is today.

-I will likely be less available for the foreseeable future to interact with the community.

With that out of the way, let's move on to the good news:

Good News

-I am stepping away from releasing new features because I have something huge planned for the mod that will take the next month for me to implement :)

You see, one month from today is the 1 year anniversary of the first release of Better Than Wolves. In celebration of this I've decided to finally take the plunge and implement a set of features that I've been planning for a long time now, but which really need to be released together so that they can be properly experienced. I've been hesitant up until this point to invest the time necessary as it would basically mean no new features for an extended period, but I feel that the 1 year anniversary is the perfect time to make this all happen.

So...you guys can expect the next real release to happen on precisely April 10th. I will provide no clues as to what is coming other than the following video link. People are of course welcome to speculate, but you won't get any further info out of me until the release date ;)

Until the tenth then, I leave you with this:

morvelaira

Re: An Important Announcement

Post by morvelaira »

THUNDERDOOOOOOME! I run Barter Town!

In all seriousness, I'm glad I survived the heart attack of the bad news to get to reading the good news. It sounded for half a moment that this was gone for good! But yes, given your reasoning, I think you are doing the correct thing and I support you entirely, FC. I know you'll be less available, but please, don't be a stranger. <3
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

my reaction to the bad news: OOOOOHHHHHH MMMYYYYYY GGOOOOOODDDDD NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

my reaction to the good news:*clutches chest* oh thankgodthankgodthankgod
And HOW!
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

I completely support your decision. I almost fainted as well when I saw the bad news, but yeah, that caught me on surprise :)

Well, I guess we now have a full month of speculations!
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

I actually got a weird excited feeling when ready the good news bit. Anyone else?
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Husbag3 wrote:I actually got a weird excited feeling when ready the good news bit. Anyone else?
It's not an unreasonable reaction. It took me 3 days to implement Pulleys & Platforms. Another 3 days to implement the Lens.

I just gave myself 30 :)
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Thanks for appreciating my statement ;)
I'm gonna have to practice tabbing out to wiki for recipes when the update comes I imagine.
Wgurgh

Post by Wgurgh »

I didn't post here at first because I thought the topic may have been intended to be locked, but I gotta say, this scares me in a very good way.

FlowerChild, I trust you and your direction with this mod implicitly. If you think this is the best, I am 100% behind it. Honestly even if BTW never got another update I would think it the best mod ever.

30 days to develop, I think we are in for some real stuff here. The mind just boggles...
Robilar

Post by Robilar »

I'm pretty sure my heart skipped a beat when I read the bad news.

And then again when I read the good news.

You're going to be the death of me, and I love it.
FlowerChild wrote:FUCK MAN! WHAT WE GOING TO DO NOW! WE'RE IN SOME REALLY PRETTY SHIT!!!

<dakka dakka>
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

It would be cool if on the tenth FC did a troll release with gimp suit 2.0 and then a SUPER release on the eleventh.
People would be mad...
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Been waiting for this for a long time now, glad to see you're finally at the point where you're willing to go ahead with it :)

Here's hoping mojang don't do another bunch of updates like the last one mid-swing - I'm pretty sure that I can say this will be freaking epic and the last thing we need is you being interrupted mid-way. *prays for at least a solid month of snapshots*
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote:Been waiting for this for a long time now, glad to see you're finally at the point where you're willing to go ahead with it :)

Here's hoping mojang don't do another bunch of updates like the last one mid-swing - I'm pretty sure that I can say this will be freaking epic and the last thing we need is you being interrupted mid-way. *prays for at least a solid month of snapshots*
Hehe...my prayers are similar...except for the increased BlockID update ;)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:...except for the increased BlockID update ;)
Nah, that'll be timed perfectly with the completion of the feature, I'm sure :)
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Well we got 8 snapshots last time so that's 8 weeks. I don't recon we'll see another update until late April.
rhacer

Post by rhacer »

Given how much BTW/BTB has revitalized my interest in MC. I will be looking forward to this update with bated breath.

Thank you.
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

Wow.
You just scared me for a minute there - I thought you were giving up on mod development!
Glad to hear that there is a massive feature coming, one question; will this be the release where nothing is revealed whatsoever?
I need to think of something to do for a month!
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
Starshifterxen

Post by Starshifterxen »

Wow! Brilliant news: a new update and less flowerchild ;)

No, in all seriousness, I am super excited about this. I am watching the video over to see if I can gleam anything further from it already.

Thank you so much for the many hours of entertainment you have given us and the wondering teasing of new features on these forums.

Only 31 days to go... =D
Samorost

Post by Samorost »

"it's going to be legendary" :o)
Czech Republic :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Starshifterxen wrote: Only 31 days to go... =D
Hehe...the count-down begins... ;)
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

I'm looking forward to this more than my birthday (on the 30th of March). Is that bad?
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

Husbag3 wrote:I'm looking forward to this more than my birthday (on the 30th of March). Is that bad?
birthdays aren't very important unless you are becoming an adult so.. .no.
And HOW!
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Will the api for btw be released then as well? I'd hate to see no more feature updates, but having added tools and blocks through addons would soften the blow :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BinoAl wrote:Will the api for btw be released then as well? I'd hate to see no more feature updates, but having added tools and blocks through addons would soften the blow :)
I don't think you're really understanding the OP.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Gargantuan_Penguin wrote:
Husbag3 wrote:I'm looking forward to this more than my birthday (on the 30th of March). Is that bad?
birthdays aren't very important unless you are becoming an adult so.. .no.
If I'm not yet an adult does that count as becoming an adult? I'm getting worried ;)
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote: I don't think you're really understanding the OP.
Hmm? What I got from the post is no more feature updates, but one large addition coming April 10th