Brave New World texture pack

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Gilberreke

Brave New World texture pack

Post by Gilberreke »

I've been gone for a few days while I was on heavy pain meds. In that time, I've been watching lots of Direwolf20. To do something back, I've been speaking with his fan-base and what they really lack is a "techy" texture pack that supports all the DW20 mods. As you can imagine, I find that a cool challenge.

So, I present to you: Brave New World, my texture pack in progress. For now, I'm floating on a creativity spree, so lots of stuff will need clean-up later. Here's what I've been doing:

First, the grass tile. I went for a mossy kind of grass, with some highlights (inspired by Summerfields)
Spoiler
Show
Next, dirt. This was easy, I took the dirt from my previous 1.3 texture pack
Spoiler
Show
For stone, I wanted it to double as a cool concrete/cement style texture, so I went with a plain smooth stone
Spoiler
Show
Ores were again lifted from my previous pack. Since the stone is very plain, I'm still tweaking these to be perfect
Spoiler
Show
For cobble, I got my inspiration from Fallingwater, the famous Frank Lloyd Wright building
Spoiler
Show
I had some fun with mossy too (vegetation is fun)
Spoiler
Show
For planks, I started going into the industrial theme. These would look good in a factory setting I think
Spoiler
Show
The final image is one where I tried putting some stuff together. I have a few more blocks I'll be showing off later, but you can already see my "techy" redstone and my bricks:
Spoiler
Show

Anyway, feel free to hit me with comments, critique, questions. I'm going to keep working on this in the foreseeable future.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Gargantuan_Penguin

Re: Brave New World texture pack

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

:megusta: I like it. I am definitely going to try it out. I especially like your cobblestone. it is precisely what i have been looking for.
And HOW!
TheHoboHunted

Post by TheHoboHunted »

You really are just too damn good at this. =D
FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...when have any of my additions to the game been innocent? :)
Awfulcopter

Post by Awfulcopter »

The cobblestone texture is masterful. Really great stuff.
scout37

Post by scout37 »

Cool texture pack, it looks good (especially the cobble and foliage (i think thats how its spelled))

I might think of tring to make a texture pavk for myself. Any tips/advice?
Living has been the #1 cause of death since time began.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

This seems like an epic TP.

Comments:
1. I think the mossy cobblestone is a bit too square. you can easily look at that wall and see what is mossy, what isn't, and the shape of everything - I think the vegetation should only be on some of the cobblestone.
2. Why are the connections between the planks and the redstone blue?
3. The redstone is a bit strange at the 3 way.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

This pack doesn't fit my personal tastes all that much since I prefer 'rough' textured surfaces. But that cobblestone is beautiful. I love it.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

I like the stone texture, although I have to wonder about what appear to be rivets on the redstone and wood blocks.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
whitechaos35

Post by whitechaos35 »

I love the grass, dirt, stone, and brick. And ESPECIALLY the cobble. That looks amazing. Great job.

Would you mind posting an in-progress download link?
ThatOneDude

Post by ThatOneDude »

I like it a lot, but I really think that you should remove those outlines from the wood. If someone already has a world they've been playing on using the Vanilla texture pack and they switch over to yours it might be a surprise to them when they find all their wooden buildings/cabins all industrialized. And this is a pack that I would use, btw.
Quality comes before quantity.
Starshifterxen

Post by Starshifterxen »

Really nice looking. Love the grass, cobble and brick. Also like the smooth stone.

I think i could grow to like the wood and redstone too.

Not convinced on the mossy cobble. Maybe darker vegetation?

Also as you say, the ores don't really fit at the moment.

Looking really good though :)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Minor comment on the rivets thing: this is meant to be used by people who want the industrial look to everything. If you want to build a log cabin, this pack will not be for you. I understand this issue, but if anything, the textures to come will be even further down that path.
PureZaros

Post by PureZaros »

It's a 32x pack, right?

1. The cobble looks amazing. Hands down.
2. Mossy looks a little busy, and (personal tastes here) I think it should blend with regular cobble better.
3. The dirt looks really weird next to that smooth stone. Personal preferences again... Separately they look great, though!
4. I dunno about wood and redstone, they just seem kinda off right now. Of course, the pack is still in its very early stages, so I don't know what they would look like next to other blocks.

I think it looks great so far, but with a couple of balance (?) issues. Of course those will probably work themselves out as more stuff is finished. Once again, godly cobble.
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:
Panda wrote:Edit: Thanks for the sticky good sir. <3
I really wish more women said things like this.
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

This looks really promising! I've been working on a texture pack with a similar theme, so I'm eager to see where this goes. I already envy your cobblestone.
Joeyjoebob

Post by Joeyjoebob »

I like the cobble, but I don't think that the smoothstone really fits with it. I think adjusting the color and maybe adding a small amount of texture will fix with the slight uncomfortable contrast they have.
TheAnarchitect wrote:
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence...
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Joeyjoebob wrote:I like the cobble, but I don't think that the smoothstone really fits with it. I think adjusting the color and maybe adding a small amount of texture will fix with the slight uncomfortable contrast they have.
Like I said, it's intentional. The stone has to double as concrete/cement. I've got a bunch of restrictions to work with for now. I might change it later on if I find a better way to handle it.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

That's looking really nice Gil, keep up the good work! I really like the redstone and cobblestone.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
scout37

Post by scout37 »

iverall a great texty=ure pack. good work.
Living has been the #1 cause of death since time began.
orangeweaver

Post by orangeweaver »

Great looking pack man. I might try this out and rotate it in when I feel like breaking from Jolicraft. I love that you have the yellow / orange brick color that appears in Joli, I really love that color. As everyone has said the cobble looks fantastic but I'm really impressed by the wood. I like the rivets and I can totally see this working w/ my BTW world.

Keep up the good work homie.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

I love the stone, cobble, mossy cobble and dirt, not a fan of the ores though. They seem kinda slapped-on.

I think the mossy and cobble are full win :).
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

I like it overall, but I personally think the following:

A) The cobblestone doesn't really fit next to regular stone, it seems like a really stark transition.

B) The ores are far too cluttered for how smooth the stone is.

C) I don't really like the blue in the wood's rivets.

Other than that, I think it's awesome :)
IGN: Camerinthus
Panda

Post by Panda »

you amaze me good sir, and speaking of texture are you doing Mc customizers btw support?
Never say no to Panda.