MineMineCraft

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
RaustBlackDragon

MineMineCraft

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

So, the height system... expands upwards.

UPWARDS.

*sigh*

Looks like it's going to be up to me to make a mod that relocates the expansion to BELOW the surface. Seriously, this game is called MINEcraft. And they've squandered this opportunity to let us dig deeper?

/whiningrant

Right, well obviously I can't start work on this until 1.2 is officially released. However, I'd love to hear your input and feedback!

Main goal: adapt the terrain generation so that it's indistinguishable (or as close as makes little difference) from 1.1's generation, at least from the surface. You've got 64 blocks above sea level, no surprises here. However, BELOWGROUND will be triple depth, you'll have to dig much deeper to find diamonds, mineshafts, ravines and strongholds will be at separate depths that do not overlap, and possibly implementing Notch's long-abandoned idea of monsters spawning more readily the deeper down you go. If I decide to do this, it'll still be possible to secure an area, it'll just be more difficult, for more intense cavern exploration.

Oh, and the new title of the thread is my proposed name for the mod.
Last edited by RaustBlackDragon on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
Gargantuan_Penguin

Re: I am so disappointed

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

I feel the same. I want getting to bedrock to be a challenge.
And HOW!
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I'm in RBD.

With selectable generator in the GUI and being able to reuse the generation for the top part, we only need some novel underground generation.

Ideas?
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Gargantuan_Penguin

Gilberreke wrote:I'm in RBD.

With selectable generator in the GUI and being able to reuse the generation for the top part, we only need some novel underground generation.

Ideas?
I want there to be some really big cathedral like caverns. that in conjunction with underground lakes, big ones, not the ponds there are now.

I also want stalagmites etc. but I can't see how to do that with just blocks.
And HOW!
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

You mean low enough so that mineshaft do not have to be broken because they would now generate lower then ravines?
I. Love. It.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

I'd love to see an underground terrain gen overhaul, with layers that get progressively harder and harder to traverse, with greater reward. It's been something I've thought about a lot, but I have absolutely no java experience, so I've never been able to do anything about it
whynocheese

Post by whynocheese »

walker_boh_65 wrote:You mean low enough so that mineshaft do not have to be broken because they would now generate lower then ravines?
Sweet baby jesus someone get this man some bacon strips now because he may have just given one of the best reasons ever.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

whynocheese wrote:
walker_boh_65 wrote:You mean low enough so that mineshaft do not have to be broken because they would now generate lower then ravines?
Sweet baby jesus someone get this man some bacon strips now because he may have just given one of the best reasons ever.
Yum. Bacon.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I. Love. It.
Fixing mineshafts is trivial. Generate the ravines after you generate the shafts.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Something to use with btw, with ores you can only break with steel tools. Also now that block ID's is not really a limitation anymore, there is no reason not to add more types of stones, which might be interesting.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
RaustBlackDragon

Gilberreke wrote:
I. Love. It.
Fixing mineshafts is trivial. Generate the ravines after you generate the shafts.

I'm gonna go check if there's any data on how low and tall ravines can be. This is getting exciting!

I don't think I've felt this passionate about a mod idea since the Voldemort mod. It must be done, and I'm going to see to it that it gets done.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
whynocheese

Post by whynocheese »

Even if it means killing every last one of us... Well as long as I can play minecraft in my death I'm good with that.
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

Please dear GOD yes.

I have wanted something like this for ages: making it a challenge to get to bedrock, or at least harder.

Deep mineshafts that go below ravines, YES.

If you do this, RBD, I will be forever in your debt, lol.
IGN: Camerinthus
RaustBlackDragon

Re: MineMineCraft

Updated the OP. What do you think about the monster idea? I'm hesitant about it, as it would be modifying something other than terrain generation, and be overstepping the boundaries of the mod, at least in the strictest sense.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
whynocheese

Post by whynocheese »

In this case I think it would be entirely worth it when you consider the benefits of such a mod. (Seriously, think about it!) So dude I would download that shiz faster than you can say .... something.
Gargantuan_Penguin

RaustBlackDragon wrote:Updated the OP. What do you think about the monster idea? I'm hesitant about it, as it would be modifying something other than terrain generation, and be overstepping the boundaries of the mod, at least in the strictest sense.
I like it. as it is monsters are just as easy to get rid of in the surface caves as they are at bedrock, also I like the proposed mod title.
And HOW!
Pseudosavior

Post by Pseudosavior »

I like it, I've always preferred living Dwarf-style with my worlds, and this would help. I can't help but think that the underground might be a tad bit boring though, if it's just the world as it is now, but spread out. Of course, the caves would still be the sprawling veins of the world like they are now... But I dunno...

Maybe add in some more interesting features into the generation? Not even necessarily new blocks (which would, in all honesty, probably be unneeded). Maybe new dungeon types, similar to the Strongholds? Or maybe underground biome-ish areas. Certainly not the most original ideas, but it ought to get your brain going, haha.
orangeweaver

Post by orangeweaver »

You have my vote. I definitely found it curious when they added the space above ground.

I like the idea of spreading out ravines / mineshafts but also would really love so huge cathedral like caverns and underground lakes. I would love to build a base out in the middle of a body of water and have multiple rail stations and mine shafts branching away from it.
Gargantuan_Penguin

orangeweaver wrote:You have my vote. I definitely found it curious when they added the space above ground.

I like the idea of spreading out ravines / mineshafts but also would really love so huge cathedral like caverns and underground lakes. I would love to build a base out in the middle of a body of water and have multiple rail stations and mine shafts branching away from it.
with something like this I would *love* some sort of dangerous water mob. a kraken perhaps? but that is for a different sort of mod methinks
And HOW!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

RaustBlackDragon wrote: Looks like it's going to be up to me to make a mod that relocates the expansion to BELOW the surface. Seriously, this game is called MINEcraft. And they've squandered this opportunity to let us dig deeper?
I think they chose to expand upwards into empty space as with some simple compression applied to the map-data, it shouldn't have any significant impact on performance. I don't think it's a matter of them choosing not to expand below ground simply because they didn't think of it. I think it was a compromise to allow people to build higher if they wanted to, while not messing with the speed at which the game runs.
RaustBlackDragon

FlowerChild wrote:
RaustBlackDragon wrote: Looks like it's going to be up to me to make a mod that relocates the expansion to BELOW the surface. Seriously, this game is called MINEcraft. And they've squandered this opportunity to let us dig deeper?
I think they chose to expand upwards into empty space as with some simple compression applied to the map-data, it shouldn't have any significant impact on performance. I don't think it's a matter of them choosing not to expand below ground simply because they didn't think of it. I think it was a compromise to allow people to build higher if they wanted to, while not messing with the speed at which the game runs.
...crap. I thought they had implemented some sort of cubic chunks thing, could've sworn I saw that in the patch notes...
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

RaustBlackDragon wrote: ...crap. I thought they had implemented some sort of cubic chunks thing, could've sworn I saw that in the patch notes...
Doesn't really matter man. Cubic or no, you still have to load and generate any terrain as the player moves around. The more data that is comprised of, the longer that's going to take.

However, if a huge portion of that is just zeroes (more than half of it will be with the new height limit), it's trivial to compress that down into nothing.
RaustBlackDragon

Well if that's true, then this mod is pretty much impossible for anybody with a normal computer :(
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
whitechaos35

Post by whitechaos35 »

And the increase in height limit makes it easier for modders to target an audience that won't mind a possible performance decrease for new functionality, while not hurting the performance of others. Very good timing with the supposed API release.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

FlowerChild wrote: I think they chose to expand upwards into empty space as with some simple compression applied to the map-data, it shouldn't have any significant impact on performance. I don't think it's a matter of them choosing not to expand below ground simply because they didn't think of it. I think it was a compromise to allow people to build higher if they wanted to, while not messing with the speed at which the game runs.
That and possibly another reason for expanding upwards instead of down being the fact that new terrain generated in an old world would, since the ground level would be higher, make tall sheer cliff walls at the boundaries of new and old. Not that deeper mines wouldn't be awesome. I agree that more space below ground would be very nice, but the performance problems FC mentioned seem to make this implausible, which is unfortunate.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.