7 Floor elevator build

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Thieme

7 Floor elevator build

Post by Thieme »

Just finished my 7-floor elevator. The shaft only has 4 places it can stop for now but the basework is done. Just need to dig out the 3 basement floors and wire them up. Now i just hear you thinking how the hell do you do a 7-floor elevator. Well with some pretty OP mods :P

I wouldn't have even started on a project like this if it wasn't for Eloraam's Redpower
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/365 ... tone-pipe/
It really revolutionizes wiring but i can understand some of you still find it a bit overpowered. The main futures is that you are able to place it just about anywhere, you have 14 insulated cables wich you can also put into 1 cable so that 1 cable can send 14 different signals.
For me this just works awesome especially with such a complicated build, else i would have spaced it out much more and just use wireless redstone.
I also used some 1 block logic gates.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/267 ... reenshots/
The diodes from this mod (basically repeaters without delay) really really saved on delay. Even tho redpower cables can send power 255 blocks or something i still needed a lot of diodes for the one way current travel.
Last but not least Flower for making these awesome pulley's and platforms <3 {hug}

Now onto the screens
Spoiler
Show
The maintenance shaft
You see two wires coming up, one is to collect buttonpresses and the other is for all the Block Detector signals.
Every floor has it's own color, so for instance every button to go to floor 1 has a white cable attached.
Overview of the room
On the left and right highrises i get each individual signal out of the big cable for the resseting of the RS Nor latches wich are under the highrises.
So if i press the button to go to floor 3, the RS latch of floor 3 activates and resets all other RS latches trough a pulse generator.
The middle highrise is where i check wich direction the elevator should go up or down. This is done with a lot of AND gates comparing where the lift is (block detector) and the destination.
The RS latches
The corner where is checked if the brakes need to be applied (AND gates). In the overview this is under me.
The middle high rise
The red and green wires going into the big cable on the ceiling determine up or down movement.
Inside of the elevator
Next step will be digging out the 3 basement floors and then try to put all 7 floors to good use. I will probably start making some farms not that i really need it with TMI but this project kinda made me realize how fun building something big can be.
PringleMan

Re: 7 Floor elevator build

Post by PringleMan »

I personally dont think that the redpower is OP. It takes a fair amount of material to make it. Its iron surrounded by redstone to make a red-ore ingot. Then several red-ore ingots to make wire, and 3 plus several wool for an insulated wire. Colored insulated wire requires dying the wool first and then using it, so dyes get burned through really fast. The bundled cable uses spider silk so any real length of it requires killing a lot of spiders.

as well the integrated redstone mod, also by eloraam, is a pain in the arse to make anything as well, though it is less costly and more annoying to craft than anything.

I think that red-power is actually a logical step for Steve and advancement. If he understands how to give redstone a power signal, and make things out of redstone in the first place, the next logical step would be to improve on his techniques. If he can smelt an ingot, extruding a wire is not that far out of reach, if not slow and painfull. If we accept that he has mechanical power from BTW then extruding a wire is not that hard.

After extruding a wire to better carry current then a sprinkling of conductive dust, the next logical step would be to insulate it so that other signals don't mess with it or accidentally power it. The bundled cable is just several insulated wires bundled so that is not an advancement at all.

I would actually like to see some of the RedPower stuff worked in with BTW though I know that is not likely to happen. I really really don't think it is that much of a stretch for steve to come up with. Maybe not early game access, but certainly within the realm of what would be possible in the minecraft world.

Also, nice work with the elevator shaft. I was trying to get detector blocks to work on mine but I think my redstone switches were being built wrong because it would never stop at the right level reliably.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

PringleMan wrote:I would actually like to see some of the RedPower stuff worked in with BTW though I know that is not likely to happen.
Effectively it already is. The way the mod is built, in that it's basically a multi-purpose substitute for redstone power, doesn't really need to be worked in-- it simply allows us to make our redstone-driven devices more compact and intricate.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
PringleMan

Post by PringleMan »

I think I meant more in the sense that certain things can only be built utilizing RP. I happily use them together already.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

PringleMan wrote:I personally dont think that the redpower is OP.
-snip-
That's not because it's expensive to build that it's not OP.
I'd hate to see something like that in BTW, unless all the necessary steps have been introduced before.
Remember that we 're on the edge of moving from Wooden Age to the next step, and plastics, insulated wires, all this stuff really don't fit our technological level.

And even if we get to this point one day, I'm not sure I'd like something like that. Too easy maybe, or I'm just a redstone purist (or prick).

To get back on topic : Very nice build Thieme, regardless of what I said about thoose mods, you can use whatever you want :) It still looks great, just a bit less impressive ;)

More pics would be nice ^^
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Battosay wrote:

-SNIP-

It still looks great, just a bit less impressive ;)
I think this is a challenge; to try to get Thieme to try to make the elevator with only BTW and vMC!! =O
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

Battosay wrote:
PringleMan wrote:I personally dont think that the redpower is OP.
-snip-
That's not because it's expensive to build that it's not OP.
I'd hate to see something like that in BTW, unless all the necessary steps have been introduced before.
Remember that we 're on the edge of moving from Wooden Age to the next step, and plastics, insulated wires, all this stuff really don't fit our technological level.

And even if we get to this point one day, I'm not sure I'd like something like that. Too easy maybe, or I'm just a redstone purist (or prick).

To get back on topic : Very nice build Thieme, regardless of what I said about thoose mods, you can use whatever you want :) It still looks great, just a bit less impressive ;)

More pics would be nice ^^
Well to be fair, not so long ago mankind still used cotton fabrics to isolate wires (which the mod does afaik) at least in the grand picture of things. In the end it comes down to the fact that redstone kinda was ment to be "copper" but didn't make it there and now is some kind of strange mystical power (not that most ppl think the same of electricity) in minecraft that fits neither age. Should Steve (Steve beeing some hyptheoretical guy that lives in a btw-modded world ?) ever advance that far that we actually come to the point of electricity I wouldn't mind a complete overhaul of the redstone system. As an electrical engineer I have to admit that the fact that a lever simply functions as a limitless powersource - as does a redstone torch or any other redstone device - hurts me alot.

I kinda like the idea of harnessing the power first, then distributing it to a switch and make sure the end is connected back to the powersource. Well a parallel system might even work if it has its advantages over op-redstone (which only drawback is the delay atm). If it wasn't for my hate for object oriented programming languages (give me a c(++)/assembler programm and I'm a happy guy) i'd probably mod btw for my own taste, after I'd fix the op water"mechanics" in vMC :).
Well maybe its time to refresh my java skills a bit, modding minecraft could actually be a nice incentive.
Thieme

Post by Thieme »

jamestully22 wrote:
Battosay wrote:

-SNIP-

It still looks great, just a bit less impressive ;)
I think this is a challenge; to try to get Thieme to try to make the elevator with only BTW and vMC!! =O
hehe i know it would have been 100 times more impressive with just btw and vMC but that would be mad work. I think all the AND gates i have now as single blocks would take up just about the entire floor i got my stuff build to now. Also the delay from using repeaters and vertical transmission would be so big and would make the whole build such a timing hell. Not even considering that in the time you wait for the elevator to start moving you could have climbed a ladder all the way from bedrock to floor 3 wich is at around 100-110 or so.

Also wich area you wanna see more pics of, just the elevator or what i still need to make at the different floors? I probably won't do much today. I fell asleep at 5 in he morning woke up at 15:30 started up my PC and at 15:45 i realized i had driving lessons at 4. After that i quickly went shopping made some dinner and now i really don't feel like doing anything ^^
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Thieme wrote:
-SNIP-

Also wich area you wanna see more pics of, just the elevator or what i still need to make at the different floors?
Hows bout a vid of it in action?? pictures may tell a thousand words but a video is a shitton of pictures?! ^_^/
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Thieme

Post by Thieme »

I never ever made a video of something. I could do it i guess but probably when i have more of it finished. Now it is just really a building with a elevator shaft and a elevator ^^
PringleMan

Post by PringleMan »

Well to be fair, not so long ago mankind still used cotton fabrics to isolate wires (which the mod does afaik) at least in the grand picture of things. In the end it comes down to the fact that redstone kinda was ment to be "copper" but didn't make it there and now is some kind of strange mystical power (not that most ppl think the same of electricity) in minecraft that fits neither age. Should Steve (Steve beeing some hyptheoretical guy that lives in a btw-modded world ?) ever advance that far that we actually come to the point of electricity I wouldn't mind a complete overhaul of the redstone system. As an electrical engineer I have to admit that the fact that a lever simply functions as a limitless powersource - as does a redstone torch or any other redstone device - hurts me alot.
Indeed. In fact the house I live in now still has a fair amount of cotton insulated wire in the walls. Hell, just think about the fact that All wiring was insulated with something OTHER than plastics and modern rubber until they were invented. Tesla and Edison would have done most of their work without rubber-coated wires.

And lets also not forget the Baghdad Battery. Whatever it was actually used for, the plain fact is that it is an electro-chemical power source that was invented and used in the early ADs. I do not think even for a second that if we are using water wheels and windmills to power a millstone, or having ignitable grills aka Hibachi tables, that using simple electrical power is so far out of reach. And the art of extruding wire is ancient. Man has been making wires for a very very very long time.

In fact, we have powered light bulbs in BTW. Granted they are made by powering a little bit of glow-stone dust, but the basic principle is the same.

And I still want to press the case that if we include the use of redstone at all, then the logical conclusions WILL be to improve it. Any person who is clever (as Steve clearly is) will reach that conclusion. Through some VERY simple experimentation he reach the fact that a solid wire of conductive material will conduct far better than sprinkling of dust. And then we are back to my initial argument.

I am not suggesting that it be considered immediately. I am suggesting that it be something down the road after Steve discovers some more stuff. Right now he does not have any actual Redstone devices, he is only using it to supply a charge to stuff that needs to be turned on. For all we know he learned that if you supply a brief charge to Netherack it ignites, thus we get the Hibachi grill. However once he does start building actual redstone devices, and I am confident that he eventually will, he will by necessity need to use something better than plain redstone. That moment, that point in advancement, is when I think that something like RP is sensible in BTW. Not before, not after.

Besides which it does not replace redstone all together. Regular redstone is in there and functions exactly like it always has. Right now this is an alternative to make things neater. You do not have to do all the crazy stair stepping and work arounds that you must do with plain redstone, but if you prefer that then you certainly can do so.

And that is why I don't think it is overpowered. Humans have been making wire for almost 6000 years now, albeit twisted wire rather than stripped-extruded, so it is most definitely NOT outside of the tech level of Minecraft. The need to insulate it derives from the need to create a barrier from it and other wires in electrical applications. Since redstone seems to function exactly like electricity and no one really thinks that redstone itself is inherently overpowered (because we need something/anything to power our nifty machines) then it just makes sense to insulate it.
Battosay wrote:(Selected and abbreviated)We are advancing out of the wood age
Well to be fair we are really more in the Iron age at least. We have smelting furnaces, Water wheels, windmills, and powered table saws. We also have tools made out of refined Iron. As well there are powered minecarts and rail, which hints at steam power to a small degree as well. But as long as you are willing to be open to the idea once Steve eventually makes the necessary discoveries, then that is fine.

By the way as a side note from the discussion: Does anyone else feel like we are gods talking about our pet Block-man experiment when we talk about what Steve has, will, and might discover?
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Hm. I have an idea for a multi-floor elevator, up to a max of 10 floors (which, in a decent mountain, would give me like 8+blocks per floor) that effectively uses nothing but RSNOR latches. I think it's feasible with redpower, I'll try it tomorrow...
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
BuLLZ3Y3

Post by BuLLZ3Y3 »

PringleMan wrote:By the way as a side note from the discussion: Does anyone else feel like we are gods talking about our pet Block-man experiment when we talk about what Steve has, will, and might discover?
Well yes, in a way, we are. As people viewing his "life" from a higher social, economic, and technological standpoint, we are, for all intents and purposes, the gods determining which way his life will go. Our suggestions and the Turtle's suggestions reach FC (*coughturntablecough*), who has his own ideas, and then they get added to the game, and suddenly Steve has an epiphany about some awesome thing he can do.

In response to the elevator: That's wicked cool. I do like the way that RedPower makes the redstone wires look, and I agree that we'll probably reach that point with the mod eventually Maybe not in 1.8, but we'll get there.

And yes, Battosay is a redstone purist. :P

-BuLLZ3Y3
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

WARNIG (The following is complex and may not make any sence .)
ok so you are steave and you have just hit a redstone ore block. it glows slightly you touch the shiny block . ZAP you get hit with a carge you think that could be usefull. you then mine some and return to the surface. after mutch expremenation you find it sticks to a stick to make redstoe torches . and sticks to te side of blocks. but it is hightly reactive and you must keep it 2 meter away from other wires. you think to youre self how can i make this strange power easer to use.

then it hits you ass iron to make it a solid and put it in a wool cover to stop it shorting out.

That is kind of how i think steve thinks. and it is a logical progretion fome one form of tech to a easer better one. so i think that in a better tech levle this redstone will have to be improved if not you cant have all other tech get better and leave redstone in the past.
( i apoligise for spelling errors i an using a Nintendo DSi to type this)

(Edit) unless steave can creat electrisity . or use lightning rods or somthing