What are you doing with the lens?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
DaveYanakov

What are you doing with the lens?

Post by DaveYanakov »

Technical and pretty stuff both, share your new projects here. Personally, I've developed a new, expensive city building habit.

First, you get a lens, 2 light blocks and a bucket of cement for each (non-birch) tree in the forest.

Then you pour it on real good
Spoiler
Show
Then you knock a door in the wall and get to burning.
Spoiler
Show
Pop a lens on the bottom, knock off a few bits of flash and you've got an organically generated city to make use of. 'Cause villages are for sissies.
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
The really big trees where the cement won't reach the ground get the bottom filled in with stone brick and turned into a civic buildings.
Better is the enemy of Good
danielngtiger

Re: What are you doing with the lens?

Post by danielngtiger »

Wow, that is a pretty awesome idea. I'm replacing my vertical redstone transmission with something that has no delay, but the possibilities are endless.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

I made this:

You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
echo off

Post by echo off »

^^ wow dude, i know u kinda just copied FC, but for some reason ur display excited me more!

OP:

bahhahahaah... ur mad... but i like it... cement tree, homes! XD

the first thing i'm going to do is create a series of relayed beacon towers, kind of like in the 'mystery feature' video, but i'll use it in pretend war games when i run around swinging my sword pretending i'm frodo fighting orcs...

actually, to be serious, i'll probably create an adventure map that's like a dota hero map, where you have to fight waves of zombies and other crap... i never really thought about it before, but with signal relays easily extended to 128 blocks, i figure the redstone wiring will be a lot easier to deal with :)
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

DaveYanakov wrote:Technical and pretty stuff both, share your new projects here. Personally, I've developed a new, expensive city building habit.

First, you get a lens, 2 light blocks and a bucket of cement for each (non-birch) tree in the forest.

Then you pour it on real good
Spoiler
Show
Then you knock a door in the wall and get to burning.
Spoiler
Show
Pop a lens on the bottom, knock off a few bits of flash and you've got an organically generated city to make use of. 'Cause villages are for sissies.
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
The really big trees where the cement won't reach the ground get the bottom filled in with stone brick and turned into a civic buildings.
That is friggin' sweet. Until night time. ;D
EDIT: Just realized, those are powered from light blocks. Derp.
Last edited by BinoAl on Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lilaznkilla

Post by lilaznkilla »

Spoiler
Show
Not very cost effective though.
Spoiler
Show
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

BinoAl wrote: That is friggin' sweet. Until night time. ;D
EDIT: Just realized, those are powered from light blocks. Derp.
Yeah, I'd be tempted to power them with sunlight if the feature was in just to have a haunted city feel but creepers would really suck.

I'm planning on doing the entire forest like that once I can afford it. Leaving the birch trees uncovered adds in some nice gaps as well. This has led me to wonder if covering a jungle like this will prevent cats from spawning... City full of stray cats? Sold!

If I could afford a few stacks of lenses I'd have to play around with making a very complex display using a BD ROM for each pixel since you can spread out the memory bank without having to worry about crossing wires or repeater delays anymore.
Better is the enemy of Good
Heilkaiba

Post by Heilkaiba »

I'm building an eight floor, 3 lift system where it chooses the nearest lift and sends it to you. I'm currently in the process of testing whether the lens gives me the ability to brake using DBs on the same level as where I want the lift to stop for aesthetic reasons.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Since FC is too lazy to make a Drew Barimore pleasuring bot, I think I'll draw one myself.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:Since FC is too lazy to make a Drew Barimore pleasuring bot, I think I'll draw one myself.
Woot! :)
Schmitty

Post by Schmitty »

I have some ideas as to how I'm going to use it in my elevators.

But for the time being, I decided to go into creative and 'dick' around.

http://darkdemon.org/user-files/13226/1329019598.png
Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow
Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foam
Little soldier boy, Come marching home
Brave soldier boy, Comes marching home
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Schmitty wrote:I have some ideas as to how I'm going to use it in my elevators.

But for the time being, I decided to go into creative and 'dick' around.

http://darkdemon.org/user-files/13226/1329019598.png
Lol! A man after my own heart :)
Blueblade11

Post by Blueblade11 »

Strip Mining...Lens Edition!
Spoiler
Show
Yea, theres a lens down there.
255 Characters Limit? D:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/941586- viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3117
I don't want to go back to MCF! Even if I do stupid things here 90% of the time!
foi

Post by foi »

Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Last edited by foi on Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

foi wrote: "The Batman Symbol"
I liked this so much I've already made one in my own world ;)
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
foi

Post by foi »

FurkeyRefills wrote: I liked this so much I've already made one in my own world ;)
So I wasn't the only one who had several stacks of diamonds just gathering dust. :)

But I haven't caught any Batman with it yet.
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

foi wrote: So I wasn't the only one who had several stacks of diamonds just gathering dust. :)
But I haven't caught any Batman with it yet.
Yes well, since Flower added the ability to re-smelt iron and steel tools, apart from one diamond pick to harvest obsidian, I've never used any of them. :)

When I first started playing MC finding diamonds was like winning the lottery, but since they've become more common and using the BTW mod, I say to myself "Oh more shit in my inventory, fantastic" How things change ;)
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

For quite some time I've wanted to have a 'command center' to control every automated process from one central place. I've always wanted to centralize clocks, pulses and such needed for all automation however the delays inroduced through vanilla redstone plus routing all that wiring was quickly a mess and I abandoned the project on an old world. Work and life have made progress on my latest world with btw and btb rather slow but this lens addition, and my being 'behind' will actually be a good thing as I can intigrate it as I go. I should be able to link everything up to a control tower without too much trouble! My plans for the tower would include
1) Master On/Off Switch
2) On/Off switches for each automated process
3) Item flow control from BTB pipes (to storage, to next process, to alternate storage, etc)
4) Timing control. 5 minute timer and simple adders to increment from there.
5) pulse generators
6) Live status of every automated process (hoppers full, on/off)
7) Switches to control water flows.
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

While it might have been mentioned somewhere already; don't forget that torches allow the lens to emit light as well as powered light blocks.

Edit: Apparently Fire allows the same.
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

And lava, jack-o-lanterns, glowstone...
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I know SMP support is far down the line, but I already have some plans for lenses, namely as a radar system; have a 16x16 area from where I can look down, and get feedback on what chunks in my vicinity are being loaded by anyone who isn't me.

Because any paranoid anarchy player needs a good panic room in the middle of an ocean.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Blueblade11

Post by Blueblade11 »

Stormweaver wrote:I know SMP support is far down the line, but I already have some plans for lenses, namely as a radar system; have a 16x16 area from where I can look down, and get feedback on what chunks in my vicinity are being loaded by anyone who isn't me.

Because any paranoid anarchy player needs a good panic room in the middle of an ocean.
The image of a radar room in a battle ship popped into my head. Maybe a light block map to see which chunks are loaded? :D
255 Characters Limit? D:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/941586- viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3117
I don't want to go back to MCF! Even if I do stupid things here 90% of the time!
akantorJojo

Post by akantorJojo »

hey guys...

i have build an realy working 9x9 pixel (black and lit) screen. I´m still developing some more compact versions of it but it works and I want to show it to you... my problem is, that i don´t know any screen recording program... maybe there is someone here who can tell me one...
or maybe someone could tell me how i can upload some of my screenshots...

i´m now working on a 16x16 screen which can show some little "films" ( i´m working on films that are kind of 16(thx to the blockdispenser ;D ) * X (i consoder 3, or 5 as value for X ) pictures long

so i´f somebody pls could recommend me a programm to record minecraft... ;D
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Use Bandicam.
It lags the game but less than others - proof:
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

akantorJojo wrote:hey guys...

i have build an realy working 9x9 pixel (black and lit) screen. I´m still developing some more compact versions of it but it works and I want to show it to you... my problem is, that i don´t know any screen recording program... maybe there is someone here who can tell me one...
or maybe someone could tell me how i can upload some of my screenshots...

i´m now working on a 16x16 screen which can show some little "films" ( i´m working on films that are kind of 16(thx to the blockdispenser ;D ) * X (i consoder 3, or 5 as value for X ) pictures long

so i´f somebody pls could recommend me a programm to record minecraft... ;D
Well, there's FRAPS, which is somewhat of a standard. I've also heard good things about MSI Afterburner (in addition to its overclocking tools, there's a recorder there), but never tried it.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire