New Release! (BTW V3.50)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V3.50)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 3.50 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

Note: This release is NOT compatible with the 2.X versions of Better Then BuildCraft. If you are using that mod, please upgrade to the 3.x branch of BTB. A new release of BTB will be coming out shortly after this release of BTW to handle this incompatibility issue.

-Added the Lens as a new block type (finally). I'm not shitting you. I'm not trolling. This is for really real time.

-Added a new variety of the Planter that may be created by placing soul sand in an empty Planter, instead of dirt (no bone meal is required). This allows for the growing of netherwart and Bloodwood trees, but will not allow for maturation of these plants outside of the Nether. Bloodwood saplings can plant themselves on these blocks just like with regular soul-sand.

-Added the ability to power mechanical devices with a Hand Crank sitting on top of them.

-Added internal hooks for the swallowing of BC pipes by the Block Dispenser for use in Better Then BuildCraft.

-Changed the way Wheat grows so that its growth rate will be at maximum if growing in a Planter, regardless of the status of neighboring blocks.

-Changed the Rollers recipe to use 4 Moulding instead of 9, to fit the recent changes to Wicker & Grates.

-Changed the size of the collision volume on a Hopper without a filter, to match that of one with a filter. This resolves a number of issues with items falling through the cracks between blocks in certain setups, and makes Hopper behavior more consistent overall. It should also now be possible to flow items over a Hopper without a filter in the same way as one without.

-Changed the way Urns render so that they appear directly beneath a Hopper if they are placed under one. This makes the whole botteling of souls process look better and makes it a tad more intuitive.

-Changed the Planter with soil recipe to include bone meal in between the dirt and the Planter.

-Changed the Crucible so that overheating combustible ingredients within it will have the same unfortunate consequences as with the Cauldron.

-Changed the way the Detector Block handles the detection of wheat growth internally. This is so that beams from the Lens aren't blocked by the block above fully gown wheat. There should be no noticeable change to how this works with the DB, but I mention it just in case problems crop up. Please let me know if they do.

-Changed the communication layer with Better Then BuildCraft to make future version of the two mods less dependent on each other.

-Fixed problem with Plate Armor not returning enough Soulforged Steel when melted down in the Crucible.

-Removed ability to convert Urns to Soul Urns within the Hopper inventory. Now, the Urn MUST be placed beneath the Hopper in order to do this. This is to avoid confusion with what is essentially duplicate functionality that was causing people to not even realize the process could be automated. It also serves to encourage automation of the simplest portion of the overall process of creating Soul Urns which will hopefully lead to players deciding to undertake other aspects of it as well.

Enjoy! :)
Noodlerex

Re: New Release! (BTW V3.50)

Post by Noodlerex »

Yay can't wait till I get home to try it out!
FlowerChild wrote: Never trust a bronie.
ziggylol

Post by ziggylol »

sweet :)

nice job
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Yessss :) Time to go make some cool shit with the lens. :)
redrew89

Post by redrew89 »

Removed ability to convert Urns to Soul Urns within the Hopper inventory. Now, the Urn MUST be placed beneath the Hopper in order to do this. This is to avoid confusion with what is essentially duplicate functionality that was causing people to not even realize the process could be automated. It also serves to encourage automation of the simplest portion of the overall process of creating Soul Urns which will hopefully lead to players deciding to undertake other aspects of it as well.
I'm done playing. Give up. Done. Quit.

EDIT: This decision is not solely in response to this change to BTW, but is the result of the past few weeks just getting my ass wound up into a massive pile of anxiety. Video games in general have proven to be a waste of time for me, and I'm not going to put up with it any longer.
Last edited by redrew89 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild wrote:Happiness is a warm and moist tentacle.
FlowerChild wrote:I just want to be loved.
Havok wrote: I'm so fucking psyched I could punch a kitten into the troposphere
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BinoAl wrote:Yessss :) Time to go make some cool shit with the lens. :)
I on the other hand will sit here with my fingers crossed that there are no major bugs. This one is far more complicated than usual, so I fully anticipate there will at least be some minor problems reported in situations I failed to think of and test :)
redrew89 wrote: I'm done playing. Give up. Done. Quit.
Hehe...I hope that's an exaggeration. Automating the bottling of souls really is super simple.
redrew89 wrote: EDIT: This decision is not solely in response to this change to BTW, but is the result of the past few weeks just getting my ass wound up into a massive pile of anxiety. Video games in general have proven to be a waste of time for me, and I'm not going to put up with it any longer.
Guess it wasn't. May I just say how incredibly rude it is to respond to a new release with something like this?

I'll give you some time away from the forums to think about that one.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

FlowerChild wrote: -Added the Lens as a new block type (finally). I'm not shitting you. I'm not trolling. This is for really real time.
Pure awesome. No need to say more.
-Added the ability to power mechanical devices with a Hand Crank sitting on top of them.
FINALLY. This has silently bugged me for ages :P
-Changed the size of the collision volume on a Hopper without a filter, to match that of one with a filter. This resolves a number of issues with items falling through the cracks between blocks in certain setups, and makes Hopper behavior more consistent overall. It should also now be possible to flow items over a Hopper without a filter in the same way as one without.
Oh yeah! Finally! I was half contemplating to suggest a faux filter that filters nothing just for this :P
-Changed the Planter with soil recipe to include bone meal in between the dirt and the Planter.
Love this change. Makes so much sense, plus my 2 doublechests filled with bones can finally justify themselves.

Excellent job on cramming so much stuff in this release when I expected just the lens and a couple of bugfixes :]
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Removed ability to convert Urns to Soul Urns within the Hopper inventory. Now, the Urn MUST be placed beneath the Hopper in order to do this. This is to avoid confusion with what is essentially duplicate functionality that was causing people to not even realize the process could be automated. It also serves to encourage automation of the simplest portion of the overall process of creating Soul Urns which will hopefully lead to players deciding to undertake other aspects of it as well.
Ahh, somehow missed that in the changelog. I'll definitely have to change my soul urn production. I had been doing it manually, because the speed is near unlimited, dropping stacks at a time of ground netherrack. As much as this change will make things more difficult, I like it :)
TL;DR Thanks for removing things that are op, FlowerChild ^.^
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Excellent job on cramming so much stuff in this release when I expected just the lens and a couple of bugfixes :]
Thanks man! I was actually just about to release versions of both BTW and BTB when I had my "Eureka!" moment with regards to the Lens and started working on that straight away, so there's kind of two releases crammed into this one ;)
xCrazyboy

Post by xCrazyboy »

Good job FlowerChild! I came home just in time for this release, I can't wait to try out the new feature! ^^
Whisp

Post by Whisp »

FlowerChild wrote:
Next best thing after the lens and I really love you for this one!

I returned my auto grinder to a manually feed 4 mill stone setup a while ago, just because it was so overly complex to feed multiple mill stones with blocks and I still lost blocks, if I dropped them in too fast.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BinoAl wrote: Ahh, somehow missed that in the changelog. I'll definitely have to change my soul urn production. I had been doing it manually, because the speed is near unlimited, dropping stacks at a time of ground netherrack. As much as this change will make things more difficult, I like it :)
Thanks man. Yeah, I realized during one of Ren's recent streams that the ability to do it the old way was really nerfing the automation aspect, which is rather ridiculous at that point in the tech-tree. Automating Soul Urn production is one of the biggest overall automation challenges in the mod, so providing an OP alternate method of doing the simplest part of that whole process was just a big glaring design-error.

The time consuming aspect of placing and filling each bottle really should provide the initial impetus to start automating, rather than provide a method so easy that the need for automation is never felt.

I didn't really realize that until I watched someone else go through the process :)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Well I picked a good night to get dragged out of the house for a night out -.-

Looking forward to playing this man, thanks :)
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
bmanfoley

Post by bmanfoley »

My jaw dropped when I realized this was a feature
Spoiler
Show
Standing in the path of a light block lights up the area :O
You truly are a genius, sir. Incredible work as always
Last edited by bmanfoley on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote:Version 3.50 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!
Finally with the 3.5! *invokes right of Prima Squee-ti*
FlowerChild wrote: -Added the ability to power mechanical devices with a Hand Crank sitting on top of them.
Forgive me if I am not remembering things correctly, but I seem to remember a release... this past summer I think, where you specifically a 'spin up time' to the saw with the intention that people would move on to sources of constant mechanical power. If I'm not mistaken, what changed?

Not that I'm complaining mind you - it just makes me wonder about the way you look at things at different points in time.
FlowerChild wrote: -Changed the way Wheat grows so that its growth rate will be at maximum if growing in a Planter, regardless of the status of neighboring blocks.
Massive squee's for this one, honey! I could care less if you had set it to the minimum speed while growing in a planter - it's the consistency I love.
FlowerChild wrote:Enjoy! :)
You know I will.

As a side note, I do have to wonder what Redrew was thinking... *wanders off to Steam to see if the boy is alright*
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

bmanfoley wrote:My jaw dropped when I realized this was a feature
Spoiler
Show
You truly are a genius, sir. Incredible work as always
Oh holy crap. Dynamic lighting. Imagine, a bunch of lenses along a wall, sending lasers across an entire area. Any mobs will be lit up, making them instantly visible. You will also always have an aura of light. Sweet. :)
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

Oh wow, there's a lot more in this update than I was anticipating! Thanks, FC!
bmanfoley

Post by bmanfoley »

BinoAl wrote:Oh holy crap. Dynamic lighting. Imagine, a bunch of lenses along a wall, sending lasers across an entire area. Any mobs will be lit up, making them instantly visible. You will also always have an aura of light. Sweet. :)
And it updates with movement very efficiently, it seems :D!
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

bmanfoley wrote:
BinoAl wrote:Oh holy crap. Dynamic lighting. Imagine, a bunch of lenses along a wall, sending lasers across an entire area. Any mobs will be lit up, making them instantly visible. You will also always have an aura of light. Sweet. :)
And it updates with movement very efficiently, it seems :D!
Oh god yes. Mediafire, quit saying the download is having issues and just let me have it >:0
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

DO WANT.

CAN'T HAVE.

Unless... I download the needed update(s), then put them on a USB and bring them over to my non-internet-enabled computer and then upgrade!

Because I have SO many plans for the lens that I want to do!

(my router is still out so I can't use the wireless)
IGN: Camerinthus
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

I wish I had more diamonds.... :(

Oh well... I'll just take my time to enjoy this update. Guess that's a goo thing, in a way, as I've stayed in the same world for the longest time without starting over... No reason to rush things...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Schmitty

Post by Schmitty »

LENSLENSLENSLENSLENS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Awesome work FC. I've already started playing around with it in creative and have might quite an interesting pulser using detector block.
Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow
Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foam
Little soldier boy, Come marching home
Brave soldier boy, Comes marching home
johnt

Post by johnt »

FlowerChild wrote:
BinoAl wrote: Ahh, somehow missed that in the changelog. I'll definitely have to change my soul urn production. I had been doing it manually, because the speed is near unlimited, dropping stacks at a time of ground netherrack. As much as this change will make things more difficult, I like it :)
Thanks man. Yeah, I realized during one of Ren's recent streams that the ability to do it the old way was really nerfing the automation aspect, which is rather ridiculous at that point in the tech-tree. Automating Soul Urn production is one of the biggest overall automation challenges in the mod, so providing an OP alternate method of doing the simplest part of that whole process was just a big glaring design-error.

The time consuming aspect of placing and filling each bottle really should provide the initial impetus to start automating, rather than provide a method so easy that the need for automation is never felt.

I didn't really realize that until I watched someone else go through the process :)
I didn't even realize you could fill soul urns the other way... I just always put them under the hopper.
Blueblade11

Post by Blueblade11 »

FlowerChild wrote:Note: This release is NOT compatible with the 2.X versions of Better Then BuildCraft. If you are using that mod, please upgrade to the 3.x branch of BTB. A new release of BTB will be coming out shortly after this release of BTW to handle this incompatibility issue.
Aww... Damnit.
FlowerChild wrote: -Added the Lens as a new block type (finally). I'm not shitting you. I'm not trolling. This is for really real time.
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
F*** YEAH! BEEN WAITING SINCE I FIRST STARTED THE MOD! THEN I STOPPED PLAYING BTW! THEN I STARTED PLAYING AGAIN! WOOOOOOOOOOOTTT!!!!!!!!!!!
*Happy Dance*
FlowerChild wrote: - Removed ability to convert Urns to Soul Urns within the Hopper inventory. Now, the Urn MUST be placed beneath the Hopper in order to do this. This is to avoid confusion with what is essentially duplicate functionality that was causing people to not even realize the process could be automated. It also serves to encourage automation of the simplest portion of the overall process of creating Soul Urns which will hopefully lead to players deciding to undertake other aspects of it as well.
What...But i was doing that already...
</epicfacedesk>

Ah wel, at least im used to it already :D
255 Characters Limit? D:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/941586- viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3117
I don't want to go back to MCF! Even if I do stupid things here 90% of the time!
EvilSheeper

Post by EvilSheeper »

Wow. Thanks FC! I would be enjoying this release if I wasn't moving my computer to another room. Bad timing on my part.
One question:"please upgrade to the 3.x branch of BTB" do you mean 3.x buildcraft or do we need to wait until next release of BTB?
FlowerChild wrote:Let's not get into instructions on explosive manufacture guys. I've got enough problems without attracting the attention of law enforcement :)