BTW Puzzle map

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
jorgebonafe

BTW Puzzle map

Post by jorgebonafe »

Not to keep hijacking the other thread, I decided to make a new one. I made a very small puzzle map with Better Than Wolves based on the Myst puzzle concept, where the user has to experiment and explore to understand how things work and progress. I changed a few blocks from the old version, just so the user wont be able to climb out of the map, and added a small prize at the end.

Here is the link, you need BTW v3.492 to run it, it wont work on older versions: link

And here is the MCF link for the map. link

Comments appreciated
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
orangeweaver

Re: BTW Puzzle map

Post by orangeweaver »

Cool. I'll check it out!
SilvasRuin

Post by SilvasRuin »

I'll check the changes as soon as I fix my BtW installation. I somehow broke it when trying to install it along with the HD texture pack fix. Wanted to use SpaxBDcraft or whatever it's called.

Also, as a response to earlier replies in the other thread:
I'm aware it was presented pretty much as a proof of concept. Honest and especially complete criticism for the sake of improvement is important to me. Leave something out and you may leave out something the creator overlooked, causing the flaw to remain.
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

As meaningless as it is to say, I'm going to be doing this map tonight on my livestream. Figured I should give myself some warm-up since I haven't played Minecraft in a few weeks, and BTW in a month or so. If anybody would like to stop by, the stream will be live at 8:00 PM EST (so an hour from now).

/end:shameless_advertisement

Anyways, I can't wait to fail horribly at it. I have a streak with failure during puzzle maps, it seems. No matter how simple they are.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Kwilt wrote:As meaningless as it is to say, I'm going to be doing this map tonight on my livestream. Figured I should give myself some warm-up since I haven't played Minecraft in a few weeks, and BTW in a month or so. If anybody would like to stop by, the stream will be live at 8:00 PM EST (so an hour from now).

/end:shameless_advertisement

Anyways, I can't wait to fail horribly at it. I have a streak with failure during puzzle maps, it seems. No matter how simple they are.
Wow, that's awesome! How long until then? I can't miss this.

Edit. Wow, somehow I missed the time in your post, don't know how. Nevermind :P I'll be watching intently XD

Damn, its one of those times I wish my connection was a little better....
Last edited by jorgebonafe on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilvasRuin

Post by SilvasRuin »

You touched up the scenery rather well. I'd have to struggle to get outside of the map now, which is definitely sufficient. Good job including the rules in-game as well. You misspelled break though.

Considering I'm still new to the mod, the prize at the end, er... had more of a surprise to it than I expected.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

SilvasRuin wrote:I'm aware it was presented pretty much as a proof of concept. Honest and especially complete criticism for the sake of improvement is important to me. Leave something out and you may leave out something the creator overlooked, causing the flaw to remain.
Yeah, sure, and I appreciate the criticism. I hope it didn't seem as if I was offended or anything by your comments. I even took your advice and fixed it :P
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

SilvasRuin wrote:Considering I'm still new to the mod, the prize at the end, er... had more of a surprise to it than I expected.
For every person that didn't know about that particular feature and reaches the end, I'll feel like I reached my goal a bit more :P
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

Real quick, though, before I star the stream:

I've been a member of this board since the first day, but I don't think I've ever figured out how to pronounce your name. Care you alleviate my pains of butchering it in its entirety?

(PS: I should leave a link just in case people want to, y'know watch.)

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Seems interesting :)

And, K', I usually call him George, 'cause that's easy to remember and to say :)
SilvasRuin

Post by SilvasRuin »

jorgebonafe wrote:Yeah, sure, and I appreciate the criticism. I hope it didn't seem as if I was offended or anything by your comments. I even took your advice and fixed it :P
It was mostly someone else's comment. Yours actually seemed to be more about the aesthetics of the area I thought, which didn't really comment on. And I did notice you took my advice on both counts.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Kwilt wrote:Real quick, though, before I star the stream:

I've been a member of this board since the first day, but I don't think I've ever figured out how to pronounce your name. Care you alleviate my pains of butchering it in its entirety?

(PS: I should leave a link just in case people want to, y'know watch.)
Humm.. I guess its a tough name for English pronunciation... Let me see if I can explain... lol...

Actually, the french pronunciation is pretty close to the portuguese one... Only the last "e" is a bit more apparent.

Edit. K, here... Just click on the little "talk" button :P

http://translate.google.com/#pt|pt|Jorge
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Bump as per request
Aduis1210

Post by Aduis1210 »

Very nice map:D got my head around it but very intresting.
will you be making a bigger maybe harder map? would like to see the pulley system intergrated into a adventure map:D
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Aduis1210 wrote:Very nice map:D got my head around it but very intresting.
will you be making a bigger maybe harder map? would like to see the pulley system intergrated into a adventure map:D
Not really... Not yet anyway... I like to make this kind of things, but I don't have much time..
Edit. By the way, the pulley is heavily integrated in this map. Just behind the scenes, though :P