Itemcraft Plugin for personal server

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Deepsniper

Itemcraft Plugin for personal server

Post by Deepsniper »

I hope I will not get in trouble for this, but I am looking for a possibility to set up a server with BTW mod as well as a few others on it. I was thinking using ItemCraft as a method to do this. I am wondering if it were possible to do this firstly, and secondly if I would be allowed to do this.

1) The server would be for personal use only with close friends and family
2) Using ItemCraft the clients would also need to be modded meaning more downloads of BTW.
3) I will not distribute this information whatsoever if I am successful in creating this plugin.
Gilberreke

Re: Itemcraft Plugin for personal server

Post by Gilberreke »

I think if you do anything with BTW only for personal use, it's probably fair game. I'm pretty sure I'd break a lot of copyright and distribution rules in my kitchen if personal use were subject to copyright...
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I'm not even sure btw would work with smp even through itemcraft, but goodluck. So long as you don't redistribute any of FC's code it should be fine.
PringleMan

Post by PringleMan »

Do tell us if it works though, because me and my friends would love to know. If we know it can be done we could probably replicate it.
theonewithgingahair

Post by theonewithgingahair »

I posted about this before, here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62 and in the original minecraft forums page (very early on!) with a few other users http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/253 ... try4463487 and didn't get much of a response, at least not from FC directly.

As mentioned by SterlingRed above I think the key is not to redistribute it. Although I am not sure how ItemCraft handles base class modifications (there are a few in BTW) which would be harder to translate into a bukkit mod as bukkit has its own modified classes (typically I believe ItemCraft ports are performed upon *pure* modloader mods, i.e. the ones that work on a zip basis). However, saying that I have thought about looking into this myself, as have a couple of users on the ItemCraft forum. Part of the reason that it has not been done so far is due to there having been a lack of consensus between the Bukkit, ItemCraft, Minecraft and BTW versions ;) (None of which is FC's fault! He updates like a champion!).

I also suspect that part of the reason has to do with the possible '1.8 server/client code integration' although I believe this will not act at all like we hope and that it is probably better to hope for a port either by FC or the community. As the Italians say: "È meglio un uovo oggi di una gallina domani." ;)

Personally, I am of the opinion that a solid team of individuals willing to faithfully reproduce FC's work without any modifications (code wise and other installed mods) or compatibility patches would alleviate some of the pressure and work that FC has to deal with, but thats up to him. It's his baby after all!

It would be good to see his opinion on this...
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Alright been cracking at Bukkit for the past 5 hours and still nothing... if anyone could give me a crash course on Java would be nice :), i do have some programming experiance in C and C++ so if anyone could help it would be nice...
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Your C and C++ knowledge won't do you much good, unless you messed with object orientation in C++, which is still another thing entirely than it is in Java.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Gilberreke wrote:Your C and C++ knowledge won't do you much good, unless you messed with object orientation in C++, which is still another thing entirely than it is in Java.
Because C++ and Java totally aren't similar at all...
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Except for syntax, in what way are they similar?

I know about 8 programming languages or so and I'd say they're pretty far removed. Java is a memory-managed VM language with extensive libraries and C++'s template system isn't even comparable to Java's strict OO system, except for the basics.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote:Except for syntax, in what way are they similar?

I know about 8 programming languages or so and I'd say they're pretty far removed. Java is a memory-managed VM language with extensive libraries and C++'s template system isn't even comparable to Java's strict OO system, except for the basics.
In practice, they're almost identical (other than the templates). I've programmed in C and C++ most of my adult life, and had never used Java before I started this mod 3 months ago. I managed to release the first version of the mod within a week of starting it.

I'd say that means there's almost zero learning curve whatsoever. Maybe it would be rough going from Java to C++, but going from C++ to Java just basically means that you're dealing with a subset of the functionality you already know. You don't use templates, and you don't manage memory, so there's nothing new to learn, just a couple of tools you are used to using that you don't have at your disposal.

Seriously man, it's a fucking breeze if you know C++ well. Who the hell doesn't use Object Oriented methodology that's a serious C++ programmer anyways?
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Lol thanks FC. Guess it doesn't help I haven't programmed a thing in 8 months since my last programming course ended. I'll take a look at it when I get home. Was way too tired to think strait anyway last night.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:Seriously man, it's a fucking breeze if you know C++ well. Who the hell doesn't use Object Oriented methodology that's a serious C++ programmer anyways?
That's just it, most C++ programmers I know, don't know a thing about OO, except for the ones actually working as a programmer. I blame the lack of OO courses academically. I've seen people struggle badly trying to get their head around Java.

Like I said, if he knows OO, then it's going to be easy, if he just took some intermediate level C++ courses, then that's probably going to be a problem.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote: That's just it, most C++ programmers I know, don't know a thing about OO, except for the ones actually working as a programmer. I blame the lack of OO courses academically. I've seen people struggle badly trying to get their head around Java.

Like I said, if he knows OO, then it's going to be easy, if he just took some intermediate level C++ courses, then that's probably going to be a problem.
Fair enough. I'd say they know C, not C++ though. The only thing really differentiating the two are the OOP related features.

I guess I just didn't notice the difference because I'm so used to following an object oriented paradigm to begin with ;)
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

So seeing as I am a complete noob at this programming stuff in java I went looking for some help and help I did find. I met this guy on another forum I chat on and he agreed to help me with my Itemcraft/BTW plugin.

Just got an update from him. He believes he is about 45% done and should be done by the end of the weekend. After that all that will be left is to test the game blow things up and see what works and doesn't work.

As I have mentioned this mod to a lot of people and seem to get a lot of really interested people I might decide to put this on a public server (if FC permits) to run for the BTW community.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

that would amazing!
Banpower1

Post by Banpower1 »

Not to be rude, but is there any updates on how the work is going? :) i fell over this thread just as i was starting to think there was absolutely nobody who had actually tried making Itemcraft work with BTW (or visa versa w.e. is correct to you) so i was about to plunge in to it myself, with very little skills :P
empath

Post by empath »

I think with the extra forge dependency, this is DOA, yeah?
Banpower1

Post by Banpower1 »

i was hoping from the little "intel" i managed to gather about how Itemcraft works that you could just add in the Forge in the files and just treat it all as one big "mod" of the SSP so when you ported over it would combine into a single fully working thing, but I'm no genius :S
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Well I was away for the weekend but the guy helping me with the coding told me he should be done by the end of the weekend but so far I haven't talked to him.
Sky_Som

Post by Sky_Som »

empath wrote:I think with the extra forge dependency, this is DOA, yeah?
Forge had SMP I thought, doesn't Spacetoad need It for Buildcraft to be SMP?

Edit: Yep just check and Forge is already Has a SMP version.
Minecraft Name:Sky_Som
Banpower1

Post by Banpower1 »

Can't figure if its good or bad that forge has a SMP version, thr conversion of the SSP mods is to be done by using a minecraft.jar with the installed mod in a program that converts parts of it, and then fix the code so it uses correct names for method calling in bukkit and finally recompile it, so if you use forge SMP version, you would be trying to convert a minecraft.jar file that isn't working from the start (without forge in it) or you end up having dubble code, forge in the convertet file from SSP and the SMP, either way it would introduce their own problems, as far as my coding skills go...

NOTE: written from my mobile, sorry for the bad layout of this post
Banpower1

Post by Banpower1 »

Just checked up on Forge for multiplayer, its a mod that goes into the minecraft_server.jar handed out by notch himself, while itemcraft is a bukkit plugin, and thus my previous post is cut back to modding it in by having it in the SSP minecraft.jar you convert.

the reason i personally would prefer to have it/use it with bukkit is because of the extra work done with bukkit, to fix bugs and optimize code, and so on, plus the very VERY easy way you add and remove plugins, drag and drop to the plugin folder :P (thus allowing mods/plugins to overlap, as long as they don't interact contradicting to each other (example: one plugin removes all damage taken and another plugin allows for custom damage taken, thus making errors)

(Sorry for dubble posting, know its annoying, but didnt feel an EDIT was correct here)