So Creepers have Ailurophobia...

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
TheHoboHunted

So Creepers have Ailurophobia...

Post by TheHoboHunted »

Ailurophobia

12w05a1 Snapshot notes

Cats are now Creeper Repellent.

Just thought that was interesting.
FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...when have any of my additions to the game been innocent? :)
RaustBlackDragon

Re: So Creepers have Ailurophobia...

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

...Really? That's Jon's plan for making them useful? That's nice and all, but it's kinda weird. Not nearly as cool or intuitive as the vermin control concept...
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Wow. Who would think cats are harmful to giant dicks?
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
RaustBlackDragon

itamarcu wrote:Wow. Who would think cats are harmful to giant dicks?
I'm not going to voice what just crossed my mind.

But I'm betting many of you will guess correctly anyway.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Urian

Post by Urian »

Well, if you could somehow tie the cats to a rope and attach it to a rotating axle then you'd have a way to whip the creepers and that certainly seems to keep them in check.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Vermin control can always come later from mods. In the context of Vanilla minecraft, Creeper repellent is actually pretty useful.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Urian wrote:Well, if you could somehow tie the cats to a rope and attach it to a rotating axle then you'd have a way to whip the creepers and that certainly seems to keep them in check.
A cat o' nine tails? I have one of those. Never hit a huge green penis with it though.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
RaustBlackDragon

Stormweaver wrote:
Urian wrote:Well, if you could somehow tie the cats to a rope and attach it to a rotating axle then you'd have a way to whip the creepers and that certainly seems to keep them in check.
A cat o' nine tails? I have one of those. Never hit a huge green penis with it though.
Oh wow, I didn't notice that pun, I saw the other one.

But moving on from puns, I really don't like this change. Creepers go from being among the most dangerous and terrifying monsters in the game, to being terrified of cats. Which are supposed to be cute housepets that don't particularly inspire fear. That's just... lame. I have a feeling Jon was just pressured to find a use for cats but couldn't think of any, so he made one up.

That said, a way to deal with creepers is indeed useful, but I just wish it were one that gave minecraft's mascot and scourge a little more dignity.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:But moving on from puns, I really don't like this change. Creepers go from being among the most dangerous and terrifying monsters in the game, to being terrified of cats. Which are supposed to be cute housepets that don't particularly inspire fear. That's just... lame. I have a feeling Jon was just pressured to find a use for cats but couldn't think of any, so he made one up.

That said, a way to deal with creepers is indeed useful, but I just wish it were one that gave minecraft's mascot and scourge a little more dignity.
Cmon, man, cat's are cute, but can be dangerous creatures.... even Imhotep is afraid of them.

They have cold killer shark eyes....
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Johnnyboy

Post by Johnnyboy »

jorgebonafe wrote:
RaustBlackDragon wrote:But moving on from puns, I really don't like this change. Creepers go from being among the most dangerous and terrifying monsters in the game, to being terrified of cats. Which are supposed to be cute housepets that don't particularly inspire fear. That's just... lame. I have a feeling Jon was just pressured to find a use for cats but couldn't think of any, so he made one up.

Cmon, man, cat's are cute, but can be dangerous creatures.... even Imhotep is afraid of them.

They have cold killer shark eyes....
Only because he views cats as something to do with the dead.

The real mummy movie didn't have any of that in it.
xbitx

Post by xbitx »

Actually, as per the update notes it also says that Creepers now stalk their prey.

So, to be honest, Creepers have just gotten even more dangerous. If it's implemented correctly, they could potentially notice if you're looking in their direction, and move away from it. As in, flank you. So if you're going to your house, and there's a creeper behind it, if you're looking at it but can't see it, it'll go around in an arc movement, and eventually end up behind you, where as previously they just shot straight at you.

That's what I'm expecting the Stalking AI to be. In which case, having cats as repellents would be rather useful. Of course it's not particularly the usage that's the problem, it's just that they're afraid of cats... so I see the problem. However, I'm glad they have a use, as opposed to Wolves, which still play no role what-so-ever in Vanilla.

They should make Ocelots rare to find. So not only exclusive to the jungle, but also rare to spawn. Make them rare, and you now may have a good balance of keeping Creepers dead scarey, and also having something for them to do.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Maybe it's supposed to be related to the way that creepers inflate before exploding. Sharp claws could be problematic with that, and might be the justification behind the fear of cats.
RaustBlackDragon

FlowerChild wrote:Maybe it's supposed to be related to the way that creepers inflate before exploding. Sharp claws could be problematic with that, and might be the justification behind the fear of cats.
I suppose that makes sense, but it's a real fear-killer, the most deadly thing in minecraft being afraid of cats.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

RaustBlackDragon wrote: I suppose that makes sense, but it's a real fear-killer, the most deadly thing in minecraft being afraid of cats.
We get it Raust: you don't like cats.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

A wolfaboo who doesn't like cats, who woulda thought?
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

You know, it's almost like some people thought that the BTW consensus on cats being the most awesome thing ever, was a joke.

I say to them, suck it up wolfaboos. *stretches*
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
RaustBlackDragon

FlowerChild wrote:
RaustBlackDragon wrote: I suppose that makes sense, but it's a real fear-killer, the most deadly thing in minecraft being afraid of cats.
We get it Raust: you don't like cats.
Oh no, if it were dogs I'd still be against it. It's more that the dreaded creeper is afraid of something.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

itamarcu wrote:Wow. Who would think cats are harmful to giant dicks?
If I had a nickel for every time I've had my groin mauled by a careless feline I'd have $1.35. Makes perfect sense to me.

On a more serious note, cats have magic powers and can scare away all manner of evil spirits. No reason this shouldn't include creatures that are nothing less than the embodied rage of a despoiled environment.

Ribky wrote: ...Creepers now have new AI - they stalk the player.
I thought they always had, what with their hiding around corners and waiting til you had your back turned to strike.
Last edited by DaveYanakov on Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better is the enemy of Good
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

The fear of cats is a nice touch I guess, but I'm more excited about this:

Creepers now have new AI - they stalk the player.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
justin_967

Post by justin_967 »

I personally think we should all fear our feline overlords, but that may just be me :/
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:
I suppose that makes sense, but it's a real fear-killer, the most deadly thing in minecraft being afraid of cats.
The enderdragon would like to have a word with you, or Steve depending on how you play your world ;).

Anyway, yeah I don't know what to make of that change/feature.. to be honest I would prefer if they would repell endermen that teleport into your house. This would even make more sense as they might do some crazy stare-battle with them and drive them off.
Johnnyboy

Post by Johnnyboy »

Haidaes wrote:
RaustBlackDragon wrote:
The enderdragon would like to have a word with you, or Steve depending on how you play your world ;).

Anyway, yeah I don't know what to make of that change/feature.. to be honest I would prefer if they would repell endermen that teleport into your house. This would even make more sense as they might do some crazy stare-battle with them and drive them off.
The biggest danger in the end is fall damage.
Schmitty

Post by Schmitty »

This is the first thing I thought of when you said this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrI7mHVHlEc

Anyway I hope there is a reason that isn't 'just because' for why they added this.

Although I must say, fuck the fact that creepers now stalk you. They were bad enough before.
Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow
Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foam
Little soldier boy, Come marching home
Brave soldier boy, Comes marching home
Urian

Post by Urian »

Johnnyboy wrote:The biggest danger in the end is fall damage.
There you have your use for cats! Cats always land on their feet can can handle falling huge distances, the solution is to make shoes out of cats (boots + glue + cats = booth win an inherent Feather Fall XXV)
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
TheHoboHunted

Post by TheHoboHunted »

Spoiler
Show
That is all.
FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...when have any of my additions to the game been innocent? :)