transporting goods from basement to upper floor (Solved)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
myrrdan

transporting goods from basement to upper floor (Solved)

Post by myrrdan »

Hey,
So i've been trying for over a week now to come up with a way to get this to work.
I can feed my farms, factory's etc into a # of different paths, but I want to have my
kiln, kitchen, blacksmith area all above ground, so I need to find a way to transport all
the products from my farms, factory's (wheat, sugar, dung, meat & leather from breeding section etc) to above ground storage area.
I know how to create the storage area, so it is automated & will fill the chests in order, as
they each fill.
My problem is getting the good from the bottom to the top.
I've tried using the archimedes screw idea, but as I've commented in my posts previously, for
some reason, the torches keep going out & refusing to relight.
I'm trying to use carts now, which are easily filled at the bottom, and i can dismiss the cart, while locking the hopper from emptying until a new cart arrives.
So i can fill the cart, once its full, the hopper turns off, the cart drops onto a track and away it goes.
Now, when it gets up top, I can't seem to get it to empty the goods.
I've tried the BD pulling the cart in, which empties its contents, which fall into a water stream, into the storage unit, but then i need to send the cart back.
I can't seem the keep the BD working properly. It needs to be off, then turn on (sucking the cart in), then turn off, tossing the cart onto tracks.
It works for a time, then the torch goes out & doesn't turn back on.
I can use pistons to put out a block for the cart to land on, in front of the bd.

So, i'm wondering if anyone else has a better idea of how to get this to work. Carts aren't working for me, archimedes screw isn't working for me. I'm not sure of any other way of moving goods UP .. I can't think of anything else that can empty carts, or even destroy it and then I just come & reassemble the carts later & refil the cart track...

Yes, i know, i'm long winded LoL.
I have no screen shots because its still in the planning stage.
The tranport is the only issue i'm having.

I've looked at battosay's video, showing pretty much what i'm asking about, but i cannot for the life of me get anything to work like he has it LoL.
Last edited by myrrdan on Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
walker_boh_65

Re: transporting goods from basement to upper floor

Post by walker_boh_65 »

There is a method you can use that uses water and 1 piston per level up, but I cannot find the video or the thread I found it in right now :/
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Well, there's this method called PULLEYS and PLATFORMS.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
myrrdan

Post by myrrdan »

in what way could pulley's & platforms move items up, with or without using carts..

Walker_Boh, with pistons, wouldn't i run into the same problem as the archimedes screw, with the torches going out.
Glox

Post by Glox »

Well platforms moving up carry items lying on top of them with them. So you could dump your items on a platform, move the platform up and then release a water current to collect the items.

Why are your torches going out btw? could you give some pictures perhaps?
myrrdan

Post by myrrdan »

ok, so use a timer to block the water flow Onto the platform on the bottom, send the platform to the top, which when arrives, turns on a water flow, which has another timer, to make sure its emptied, then it gets sent back down, which reactivates the water flow there..
but what is the item decay time limit? with carts i wouldn't have to worry about that..

as for the torches turning off, i have no idea..
anytime i have a setup where a torhc gets turned on & off because of a signal coming from somewhere else, i have problems with it turning off & not turning itself back on when the signal is off..

Ie. a bd puts out a block for a cart to land on. there's a db there, that will send a signal
which will turn OFF the torch that powers the BD, which sucks in the block.
So, when the cart lands, the bd sucks in te block it landed on, which drops the cart, the detector turns off, which should turn the signal back on for the bd.
sometimes it does, and then for no reason, it will refuse to turn back on.
I have that problem when i do the archimedes screw and a few other things. Sometimes the setup works, and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes i restart and it'll work for a while, and then it will stop all of a sudden..
Glox

Post by Glox »

Well that is not normal. You are probably doing something wrong in your device, you should give some pictures so we can find the error. If not what says you won't make the same mistake again with any other type of elevator?

Item decay is 5 minutes iirc. Long enough for an elevator from bedrock to the top of the map.
myrrdan

Post by myrrdan »

ah, ty for the decay time, the torch thing, i have no idea, battosay said he ran into it a time or two as well.
as as we speak, the archimedes screw that hasn't worked in a week, is now all of a sudden working again.
If it works, the torches are correct, nothing gets changed, it just stops working, and then just as sudden & for no reason, it will sometimes start right back up.
Its only certain things it will affect, Logic gates does not seem to be affected.. at least none that i've built so far have been affected, but I haven't done much with them.

I'll see what i can figure with the platforms, thanks for the suggestion.
Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

Walker, I believe it was my thread.
http://sargunster.com/btwforum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2453

Using a hopper every 40 blocks (powered hopper) should prevent the items from despawning, so you should get an unlimited distance.
walker_boh_65 wrote:And, update 4-20? So that means hemp is now smokable, right? :P
myrrdan

Post by myrrdan »

ah, good point about the hoppers! sigh, my brain just doesn't seem to work sometimes LMAO :) thanks :)
myrrdan

Post by myrrdan »

side note.. that piston item elevator is awesome!!!
i could have saved myself a weeks worth of frustrationg LMAO :)
thank you very much
Pentagram

Re: transporting goods from basement to upper floor (Solved)

Post by Pentagram »

You're welcome :)
The Archimedes screw is so complicated compared to that!
The hopper comment was regarding one of the comments on my thread (saying that items can move around 47 blocks before they despawn). This can be prevented by using a hopper every 40~ blocks, is what I meant.

I can't believe I hadn't thought of this before I saw the video. It's so simple, but nobody thinks of it!
walker_boh_65 wrote:And, update 4-20? So that means hemp is now smokable, right? :P
myrrdan

Post by myrrdan »

it definitely makes moving goods from pretty much anywhere to anywhere.. :) its a great idea, and will keep the limit in mind. mwhahahahhahaha :) now i can build anywhere without worrying so much lol :)
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Yeh but that piston + water thing uses a massive amount of space compared to just putting in a normal BTW elevator. It might be all you need this time, but the next time you need vertical transport play around with platforms and you will find they are far superior.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Pentagram wrote:Walker, I believe it was my thread.
http://sargunster.com/btwforum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2453

Using a hopper every 40 blocks (powered hopper) should prevent the items from despawning, so you should get an unlimited distance.
Yep, that was the one, thanks:)
myrrdan

Post by myrrdan »

i was playing with the piston setup, and having a footprint of 7 x 7 as high as i want is pretty effective and not really that much on space. Thats including the wiring to run the pistons.
Works awesome.
Now to figure out the bloody auto wheat farm LoL

Thanks again for all your suggestions.
I'll take a look at the platform thing when i get a chance too. :)