Wolf Intelligence in Minecraft

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
australia64

Wolf Intelligence in Minecraft

Post by australia64 »

I read on the Minecraft Forum that a new snapshot for Minecraft was out, and the thing that interested me the most was it saying that Zombie and Wolves had a new AI( also wolves could breed) and this was later confirmed on the Mojang Blog. I have tested and it seems that Zombies will go around 1 block high obstacles to attack you if the ceiling is 2 blocks high and Wolves will AVOID lava when following the player and attacking a pig I hit. This seems like the start of intelligent mobs.
KSP for the win!
jorgebonafe

Re: Wolf Intelligence in Minecraft

Post by jorgebonafe »

australia64 wrote:and attacking a pig I hit
I believe attacking a mob you hit was already in wolves from the beginning though
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
australia64

Post by australia64 »

What I meant was that it will avoid the lava even if it is attacking a mob you hit.
KSP for the win!
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

jorgebonafe wrote:
I believe attacking a mob you hit was already in wolves from the beginning though
I think what he meant was that the wolf was avoiding the lava to get to the pig he hit. lol Ninja'd
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

jorgebonafe wrote:
No, he says they avoid lava WHILE ATTACKING, not that they can attack. (Lol double ninja'd)

That's honestly fairly impressive. I wonder how much of this is owing to the new AI class and how much is directly added to the entitywolf class. I may need to add some stuff, because this does seem fairly interesting. The heads clipping is a bit odd though, but it's a nice effect.

If it's largely (or entirely) stuff added directly to entitywolf, that would mean that FlowerChild will have to either A: keep the wolves as stupid as before, but something tells me he wouldn't do that, maybe it would be a bit disingenuous to his original motivation for making the mod, or B: start over the wolf tweaks from scratch.

If all that's been improved is their pathfinding and that looking thing though, I feel they still have a long way to go, and I'm curious just how much further Jonkagstrom is going to go with this. If he goes all the way, amazing. If not, I guess it'll be up to me again.

All in all, I'm interested as to how this develops.
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
australia64

Post by australia64 »

Have done another test, wolves will not follow you over a large drop, although if there is a one block gap between the platform the wolf is on and the platform the player is on the wolf won't jump over the gap. This also applies to zombies.

EDIT: Zombies can find their way through a 2D maze, however creepers seem unchanged.
KSP for the win!
australia64

Post by australia64 »

In another test they seem to be able to go through a maze that goes up and down, although it falls off if the walkways are 1 block wide, would like further testing on wolves and zombies in a 3D maze environment. Also wolves will attempt to go around cactus all though they do touch it and get hurt. Also it seems if hurt the wolf will not try to avoid lava.
KSP for the win!
RaustBlackDragon

australia64 wrote:In another test they seem to be able to go through a maze that goes up and down, although it falls off if the walkways are 1 block wide, would like further testing on wolves and zombies in a 3D maze environment. Also wolves will attempt to go around cactus all though they do touch it and get hurt. Also it seems if hurt the wolf will not try to avoid lava.
I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and guess that that last part might be because of the derpy "run away!" pathfinding is still used, as it's built-in to all animals.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

Slightly off-topic, but whatcha gonna do about the fact that wolves can be bred now, Raust? When I saw that, I was slightly saddened that one of your mod features was useless now.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Oh, I see, I misunderstood.. That's pretty cool actually...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
RaustBlackDragon

Kwilt wrote:Slightly off-topic, but whatcha gonna do about the fact that wolves can be bred now, Raust? When I saw that, I was slightly saddened that one of your mod features was useless now.
I'm honestly not sure what I'm going to do. Breeding fragile wolves is fine, but doing the same with doggies is kinda ludicrously overpowered with something as cheap as beef, hence why I put it so high up in the tier of dog functionality.

It's a puzzle...
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Omg, Raust is famous :3

You could have told us you'd be on the twitters asking about mob traps ^.^
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
RaustBlackDragon

Stormweaver wrote:Omg, Raust is famous :3

You could have told us you'd be on the twitters asking about mob traps ^.^
Oh wow, he actually replied! I was planning on reporting the results, since it's of principal concern to this forum's userbase, but I didn't realize he had replied.

He says he's going to do his best to keep it similar, which is better than nothing I suppose.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?