Protesting against SOPA

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
ThatOneDude

Protesting against SOPA

Post by ThatOneDude »

I won't be disappointed if this isn't approved, but I would like this website to go down tomorrow for either some of the day or the whole day to protest against SOPA like a lot of other websites are doing (Including minecraft.net.) The reason I want this is because I'm super pissed about SOPA and I know a ton of you guys probably are too. I'm actually not going to be going on the internet at all tomorrow- Just thought I'd share

Thanks for reading
Cheers
Quality comes before quantity.
walker_boh_65

Re: Protesting against SOPA

Post by walker_boh_65 »

It is not a bad idea, but thats up to sarg.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

The problem with these protestations is that they are international websites protesting a US policy change. Yes it makes sense since most of them are based in the US, but international people don't get any say in the policy one way or the other (even if it would have a negative worldwide effect).
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

The english version of wikipedia is going down, as well.
IGN: Camerinthus
ThatOneDude

Post by ThatOneDude »

So is Google D:
Quality comes before quantity.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

The reason these big websites and internet companies are choosing to go black for a day in protest as opposed to other methods, is that they're trying to demonstrate what would happen to their content under SOPAA. Sites such as Google and Wikipedia could easily be blocked/taken down under the statute because of the way the law is written (which is badly, imho). Other, random, websites going down at the same time - while lending support - largely accomplishes nothing but inconvenience, especially for a site like our forum's.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

I have to problems with this. I won't go into the complex details, but I'm most definitely a strong supporter of anti-SOPA activities.

But ultimately, it's Sarg and FC's call.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

No, don't be silly. While I support the protest, as Morv points out, taking this site down would be an insignificant drop in the bucket that would only inconvenience us while lending no appreciable support to the cause.

Taking sites like Wikipedia down makes the general public aware of the issue because they are frequented enough by the masses that they'll naturally wonder what's up when they go there and it suddenly doesn't work. This is a great way to get people asking questions they might not otherwise.

Taking this site down on the other hand would be masturbatory at best.
Sajuuk

Post by Sajuuk »

News is SOPA was dropped. The fight isn't over with PIPA, but it's prospects do not look good.

For me it just became the 18th. I tried to use a wikia. I was blasted with a "STOP SOPA" thing and made this face.

but I don't want to be seen as complaining. It's inconvenient to me, and perhaps it's not too late to protest something which has or will shortly die, but it's also kinda funny how things happened.
[ IGN = Herpingderp ]
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Sajuuk wrote:News is SOPA was dropped. The fight isn't over with PIPA, but it's prospects do not look good.

For me it just became the 18th. I tried to use a wikia. I was blasted with a "STOP SOPA" thing and made this face.

but I don't want to be seen as complaining. It's inconvenient to me, and perhaps it's not too late to protest something which has or will shortly die, but it's also kinda funny how things happened.
simple work around. just press the stop page loading when it is showing the info you want and it will not Block you. ( but I'm against any kinda web government control I just like )
Sajuuk

Post by Sajuuk »

BigShinyToys wrote: simple work around. just press the stop page loading when it is showing the info you want and it will not Block you. ( but I'm against any kinda web government control I just like )
Oh, when I said it's "inconvenient" I meant only that. A little troublesome and a little amusing, but I'm not worried.
Syruse

Post by Syruse »

>Image Redacted<
>MFW< when wikipedia went down.
Last edited by Syruse on Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An IRC Conversation wrote: [19:24] <Ribky> on the bright side, i did my first modifications with the MCP today... :)
[19:24] <Horizon> what's it do?
[19:25] <Ribky> it eats your goddamn animals
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

Oh, how I kinda wanna troll by posting a link to the SOPA Wikipedia page.

But in all seriousness, SOPA hasn't been dropped yet. The official word won't come until the 24rd. But by now, when Republican aides are saying that SOPA is a dirty word on Capitol Hill, I'm sure we all know the outcome.

Either way, off to fight PIPA and stand for a repeal/amending of the NDAA soon. But really, I'm not going to drag this into a political session, so let's all just stick to hating SOPA.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

My one comment on the legislation itself -

It's good that the Congress is seeing this is not what their constituents want. I think the outrage over this bill was handled by the public rather well, overall. Hopefully the congressmen and women will take probably the wisest course available, and either withdraw the bill, or let it die quietly in committee.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Slev

Post by Slev »

Forums shutting down is practically a pro-SOPA action in my opinion. The point of forums is to discuss things, like why SOPA is a bad idea. Sites like wikipedia aren't discussion areas, they are reference sites, site for information.

My favorite anti-SOPA protest is on a sight featuring, "images and information of a questionable content." All the images have STOP SOPA in repeating text covering all the images.
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

Actually, SOPA isn't dead. It was shelved, but some random politician said they're bringing it back in February. So we still have to worry about it, not just PIPA.
IGN: Camerinthus
Sky_Som

Post by Sky_Som »

BigShinyToys wrote:
Sajuuk wrote:News is SOPA was dropped. The fight isn't over with PIPA, but it's prospects do not look good.

simple work around. just press the stop page loading when it is showing the info you want and it will not Block you. ( but I'm against any kinda web government control I just like )
Just disable Scripting in Internet options. Then use it like normal. It's a good idea given arguements against SOPA and PIPA (It will stop those with little computer knowledge, but for anyone with a little bit of computer knowledge, you can get around almost as easy as before.)
Minecraft Name:Sky_Som
Mac

Post by Mac »

Here's a very informative video I found on the subject matter.
I think it explains it in a very concrete and rational manner,
for those who might not yet are familiar with it, and of course even for those
who are.
Please take some time to watch it.
Thank you.
My Youtube channel.

redrew89

Post by redrew89 »

Mac wrote:Here's a very informative video I found on the subject matter.
who are.
Thank you.

My man, TotalBiscuit. I came for the StarCraft2, I stayed for the Terraria Let's Play he does with OMFGCata. And, I was very glad to see him take the time to stand up against Internet censorship.
FlowerChild wrote:Happiness is a warm and moist tentacle.
FlowerChild wrote:I just want to be loved.
Havok wrote: I'm so fucking psyched I could punch a kitten into the troposphere
Pseudosavior

Post by Pseudosavior »

Mac wrote:Here's a very informative video I found on the subject matter.
who are.
Thank you.
I've always had a place in my heart for the Cynical Brit, ever since my WoW days. That video actually was my first experience with SOPA, and he does an amazing job explaining it without going CRAZY. I was about to share that video too, until I saw your post.
Sajuuk

Post by Sajuuk »

There was also a TED talk discussing the concepts in play, posted tuesday.

[ IGN = Herpingderp ]
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

Sajuuk wrote:There was also a TED talk discussing the concepts in play, posted tuesday.
Spoiler
Show
A good presentation of the whole mess, especially linking it back to previous attempts was quite informative, because as a non US citizen I wasn't aware how long this has been going on.