The Official Off-Topic Unofficial SpaceChem Thread

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

The Official Off-Topic Unofficial SpaceChem Thread

Post by FlowerChild »

So, I mentioned in my Portal 2 thread the other day that I also picked up SpaceChem during the Steam holiday sale.

Man, I am totally fucking addicted. Without a doubt the best 2.50$ I've ever spent (well...there was that time in Thailand, but no...). The game is loosely about Chemistry (got to love that the in-game help screen is basically a periodic table), but really, I find it's largely a game about programming. The skill set and thought-process used is eerily similar.

Anyways, if you haven't checked it out, please do. I find the gameplay actually has a strong relation to a lot of the stuff I try to do with BTW in terms of creating multi-part assembly lines and stuff (I'm even getting a few ideas from it), so if you're into that kind of thing, and don't mind fairly abstracted gameplay, I'm sure you'll dig it.

I'd say I'm about half-way through the game now (just finished off the second boss last night), and I can't get enough of it. Total genius game-design.
BinoAl

Re: The Official Off-Topic Unofficial SpaceChem Thread

Post by BinoAl »

I was thinking about buying this a while ago, and I regret not buying it. I've only ever heard good things about it, and it sounds really interesting.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BinoAl wrote:I was thinking about buying this a while ago, and I regret not buying it. I've only ever heard good things about it, and it sounds really interesting.
Yeah, I'm fairly certain that after this one I'm going to work my way backwards through the Zachtronics game catalog. I'm ashamed to say I hadn't previously played any of his games (unless you include Minecraft) ;)
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Just bought spacechem. If I'm not on the forums for a few days... I liked it as much as FC. :D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BinoAl wrote:Just bought spacechem. If I'm not on the forums for a few days... I liked it as much as FC. :D
Damn. I managed to inspire Battosay to grab it the other day too. I may be inadvertently sabotaging the BTW community here :)
Slev

Post by Slev »

I'm not sure if I can justify the $10 dollars right now... but damn it looks good.
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

After the portal thread, I decided to check it out. A dozen of screenshots and a trailer later, the game was added to my Buy-It-Soon list. Intriguing game to say the least.
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Hmm, this reminds me of a flash game I played on kongregate some time last year - it was more or less the same thing, but chemistry being replaced by alchemy, and small mechanical arms replacing the flow-diagram-like tracks.

I liked that game immensely. This looks better.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Holy crap, this is pretty awesome. Got through the first 10 levels, and I was impressed. At first, I wondered just how in depth it could get, because I had only done work inside the reactors. Then, I saw that you would have multiple reactors per level. The sandbox mode looks really interesting, I'm going to go play with that now ^.^
EDIT:
StormWeaver wrote:Hmm, this reminds me of a flash game I played on kongregate some time last year - it was more or less the same thing, but chemistry being replaced by alchemy, and small mechanical arms replacing the flow-diagram-like tracks.

I liked that game immensely. This looks better
Is this what you're talking about? ;) This is also by zachtronics. He seems to have made a lot of games along the same lines as this
Slev

Post by Slev »

I'm on to the first two reactor level. (Against my better judgement I purchased this, damn you FC.) So much harder than real chemistry, in real chemistry I know how to make this, in spacechem, I do not.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

BinoAl wrote:
StormWeaver wrote:Hmm, this reminds me of a flash game I played on kongregate some time last year - it was more or less the same thing, but chemistry being replaced by alchemy, and small mechanical arms replacing the flow-diagram-like tracks.

I liked that game immensely. This looks better
Is this what you're talking about? ;) This is also by zachtronics. He seems to have made a lot of games along the same lines as this
Exactly the one.

Ok, I like this guy. He makes good games.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote: Exactly the one.

He's also the guy that basically came up with the idea behind Minecraft man.

Edumicate yourself :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infiniminer#Infiniminer
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote: He's also the guy that basically came up with the idea behind Minecraft man.
That's what got me to first check out spacechem, actually. I just never got around to buying it until now :)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:
Stormweaver wrote: Exactly the one.

He's also the guy that basically came up with the idea behind Minecraft man.

Edumicate yourself :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infiniminer#Infiniminer
I knew about infiminer, but my memory for names is bad. Still, that's fair enough.

Now I don't have any spare cash, so...onwards to kongregate!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BinoAl wrote: That's what got me to first check out spacechem, actually. I just never got around to buying it until now :)
It really makes me wonder what Minecraft would have been like if he had been the one developing it.

I somehow don't see wolves factoring into it, and I definitely see a lot more redstone contraptions having been produced ;)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I'm a big fan of Zachtronics too, so here's a few links for you to check out :)

Zachtronics site:
http://www.zachtronicsindustries.com/

Notice that he has a back catalog of free flash games for you to play through

Pleasingfungus site:
http://pleasingfungus.com/

This guy makes games that are inspired by Zachtronics, so there's a few gems there too :)
His latest game, Manufactoria, is especially good. FC, if you haven't played it yet, right up your alley
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote:His latest game, Manufactoria, is especially good. FC, if you haven't played it yet, right up your alley
Thanks man! I'll be sure to check it out once I've exhausted my current obsession ;)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:Thanks man! I'll be sure to check it out once I've exhausted my current obsession ;)
Haha, I just started playing Skyrim yesterday. It's so laughably bad, I'll probably start playing SpaceChem instead. Thanks for the tip, hadn't checked Zachtronics for a long time and didn't know yet that it existed.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Slev

Post by Slev »

I spent 40 minutes trying to solve a puzzle only to realize my amazing H2 generating algorithm that also funneled off methyl groups to another reactor, was not working because the factory was a decomposer only. Spent 10 minutes staring at the machine continue to fail before realizing.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Gilberreke wrote: Haha, I just started playing Skyrim yesterday. It's so laughably bad, I'll probably start playing SpaceChem instead.
Ouch! Haha. It was definitely dumbed down far too much, but I wouldn't go THAT far... :p I've still managed to put excessive amounts of time into it :D
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I am a big fan of spacechem. I bought one from tpb a long time ago and sinked so much time on it I decided I must get it properly.

But it is such a time waster I'm not afraid to fire it up :P

Oddball fact: The gameplay reminds me of Dynasty Tactics 2 for the ps2. In that game you can play normaly, or you can abuse the chain attack mechanic to setup very long and elaborate combos of special tactics. I spent half an hour planning each battle, and 5 minutes executing the combo and winning:P Much fun. Recommend that game to all fans of chain reaction kind of games.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Awfulcopter

Post by Awfulcopter »

There always seems to be a way to re-jig the designs to be a little bit more efficient. I progress through the story (such as it is) very slowly, beause I'm more interested in getting a good "score".
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

Damn you FC I just tried the demo and love it, I wish i had picked it up during the steam sale. Now I need to contemplate on using my less then stellar amount of money on it.
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Played the demo as well,
all I can say is that if love it and that i will buy it for sure.
My Youtube channel.

lostone1993

Post by lostone1993 »

I loved this game, I play it as a demo and got stuck on a level should pick it up again

some of the puzzles can be annoying in the good sense
Under many names
lost-one
Spoiler
Show
My Youtube
My WIP Fan Mission for SS2(youtube)