is BTW stuck in the Wood age for good?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
BigShinyToys

is BTW stuck in the Wood age for good?

Post by BigShinyToys »

In BTW there is mechanical power produced by water wheel and wind mill Then transmitted via Wooden gears and axles to basic machinery like the saw. Now that is all fine and good But now we have steel . steal is a very strong metal and would have been made into gearboxes and axles . these axles would take more force and not break under bigger strain ( like electrical power generation Or running textiles machinery in a factory ) . Now the problem is FC dose not want to add a system that obsoletes a previous system or that is just an improved version of another system in the mod. SO that puts us at a stalemate. where we don't have Steam power ( cos wind mills and water wheels produce mechanical power already ) And only have wooden axles / gearboxes.

This means that we have only low grade mechanical power and Not a very sturdy way to transmit it and with out steel gearboxes and high torch power produced by steam we will have a hard time getting to a higher level of teach. If we look at the industrial revolution it was caused by the mastery of metal production and highly accurate milling of it to make Machines that run very effectively.

So how dose BTW progress through the technology tree with out creating the same thing Just better. I don't really know But I thought I would put this up for debate of possible solutions to this catch 22.
AngelWithDirtyHands

Re: is BTW stuck in the Wood age for good?

Post by AngelWithDirtyHands »

I believe that FC probably has a few tricks up his sleeve to surprise us with ;)

But I see your point. To be honest, I'm not quite sure where the steel part of the tech tree is headed. It'll be interesting to see where it goes :D
Spoiler
Show
Zen Proclivities wrote:Much obliged to all your devilish details FC.
...except for Hardcore Bucket, that one is a bitch. But such is life, and life says work for it you pussy.
Noodlerex

Post by Noodlerex »

You do realise that we've only just reached the age of ass-less chaps right? theres so much cheeky fun that FC hasn't put in yet.
FlowerChild wrote: Never trust a bronie.
Deva

Post by Deva »

I highly doubt we are going to stay in the wood age if not only for the fact that we have steel. But also as FC has stated his interest in going to areas like lenses and lasers, which could lead to some extremely interesting tech (I am a big laser nerd) I am expecting a Archimedes death ray (giant mirror but meh)
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Deva wrote:I highly doubt we are going to stay in the wood age if not only for the fact that we have steel. But also as FC has stated his interest in going to areas like lenses and lasers, which could lead to some extremely interesting tech (I am a big laser nerd) I am expecting a Archimedes death ray (giant mirror but meh)
Myth busters did a special on that. They could not get the boat to catch fire.
While i do see you're point I still cant get the jump from water wheel and forge to Perfectly Concave Glass With out some kind of lath / precise metal tools.
Thalmane

Post by Thalmane »

Actually the method for making perfectly concaved lenses is much more low tech then you think. It's really just grinding two pieces of glass together in a circular motion over a long period of time. That's how some of the earlier "big" telescope lenses were created.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Deva wrote:I highly doubt we are going to stay in the wood age if not only for the fact that we have steel. But also as FC has stated his interest in going to areas like lenses and lasers, which could lead to some extremely interesting tech (I am a big laser nerd) I am expecting a Archimedes death ray (giant mirror but meh)

The day I see lasers in BtW is the day I'll be really concerned for FC's health :P
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:

The day I see lasers in BtW is the day I'll be really concerned for FC's health :P
Soul lasers, much different
SCIENCE!
Deva

Post by Deva »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:The day I see lasers in BtW is the day I'll be really concerned for FC's health :P
Lol that is what I assumed he meant when he said he was going to implement lenses to aid in long range red stone transmission. As it would need a focused ray of light for long range transmission.

Oh wait or do you mean as in the death ray a boy can dream cant he :P
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I mean what most people think when they hear lasers, the lens is as related to that as an owl to a Garuda :P
War..
War never changes.

morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Honestly, if you've been paying attention to the updates and what has been coming with them, then you know we aren't going to be staying in the Age of Wood forever. Every update since I've been following the mod in July has either been a technical update (like 3.25/3.26) or has had /something/ new in it. Many times people have looked at the new thing with tilted head saying, "Well... that's neat, but I don't see where it's going." Only for something else to come out later and it all makes sense. I know when Glue and Tallow came out, FC said to stock up because we'd need it. I am still wondering what the main purpose of Tallow is going to be. He also said similar things for steel.

In short, no we're not staying here forever. Have patience, grasshopper. You shall see. :)
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Awfulcopter

Post by Awfulcopter »

I think Steve is a long way away from the sorts of things talked about here. If you think about the things he has invented, he's still a thousand years from any kind of textile mill. Create automated machines make us forget Steve is still in Roman times, or before.

Potter's wheel - 3500 BC
Composite bow - 2000 BC
Steel - 1400 BC
Plate armour - 350 BC
Waterwheel - 280 BC
Gears - 250 BC
Elevator - 260 BC
Grist mill - 71 BC
Mechanically powered bellows - 0
Sawmill - 250 AD
*Incandescent light - 1835 AD
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Awfulcopter wrote:I think Steve is a long way away from the sorts of things talked about here. If you think about the things he has invented, he's still a thousand years from any kind of textile mill. Create automated machines make us forget Steve is still in Roman times, or before.

Potter's wheel - 3500 BC
Composite bow - 2000 BC
Steel - 1400 BC
Plate armour - 350 BC
Waterwheel - 280 BC
Gears - 250 BC
Elevator - 260 BC
Grist mill - 71 BC
Sawmill - 250 AD
Going by that list, steve is more or less travelling backwards in time. Which means we're going to the age of Atlantis soon, which is cool. And totally real.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Awfulcopter wrote:I think Steve is a long way away from the sorts of things talked about here. If you think about the things he has invented, he's still a thousand years from any kind of textile mill. Create automated machines make us forget Steve is still in Roman times, or before.

Potter's wheel - 3500 BC
Composite bow - 2000 BC
Steel - 1400 BC
Plate armour - 350 BC
Waterwheel - 280 BC
Gears - 250 BC
Elevator - 260 BC
Grist mill - 71 BC
Sawmill - 250 AD
Keep in mind though that the magical element of MC definitely screws with the rate at which technology is developed historically, and the methods used to produce things.

What year would you assign to the piston? :)

But yes, we're still a long way off in the mod from high-tech.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote:Going by that list, steve is more or less travelling backwards in time. Which means we're going to the age of Atlantis soon, which is cool. And totally real.
I saw it on the History Channel. It must be real.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Do people not understand that a game is a game and no game will be fully based on reality or history? It's impossible. Good game design requires a certain level of artificial game mechanics which break with reality. Otherwise it's not a game, but a simulator... and sims are pretty fucking boring on par.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Potter's wheel - 3500 BC
Composite bow - 2000 BC
Steel - 1400 BC
Plate armour - 350 BC
Waterwheel - 280 BC
Gears - 250 BC
Elevator - 260 BC
Grist mill - 71 BC
Sawmill - 250 AD
Ever thought that FC was doing it in the right order and mankind just messed up a bit?
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Husbag3 wrote:Ever thought that FC was doing it in the right order and mankind just messed up a bit?
Lol! I like this explanation. Let's go with it :)
Magnas

Post by Magnas »

Husbag3 wrote:Ever thought that FC was doing it in the right order and mankind just messed up a bit?
That would make sense. Humans have never had a penchant for doing things right. A lot of trial and error, improvisation, and varying methods for the same basic goals. Never get things right on the first try.

Seriously, fuck those indecisive bas--- oh, wait.

Jokes aside, I think the advancement to steel should offer some interesting possibilities. There are already some basics covered- a pulley and rope functions as an elevator, water gates, etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see some form of track-mounted crane for larger scale construction or to reduce the number of elevators needed. But that would require some form of alternative energy, unless it can just hook up to conveniently place axels. And it would be a good excuse for reinforced building materials with steel, etc.

I think the current form of mechanical energy is also good for large scale constructions, but I can see reasons to expand into electricity, for example. Lightning rods could be feasible, if you want to combine redstone transmission of energy. That might require a rewrite of lightning strikes, though. And I think solar cells would be a bit far off, if at all. Though it might make a nice, lateral/horizontal source as opposed to the vertical wheels of the current tech.

(Note: just musing, not suggesting.)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Mankind has definitely been doing things wrong. If they had invented mass media early we would now have a single centralised orwellian government.
War..
War never changes.

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Mankind has definitely been doing things wrong. If they had invented mass media early we would now have a single centralised orwellian government.
Wait...I thought we already had that.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

;]
War..
War never changes.