Steel ruins mining

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Steel ruins mining

Post by Sarudak »

Ok first off I'm not trying to initiate any flaming. Steel is awesome and it deserves to be awesome with all the work that you have to put into getting it. However once you have steel you have an infinite supply of the best tools, weapons, and armor in the game (because of remelting). That's really cool. The big problem is it takes away the one thing that I think gives mining (especially branch mining) some sense of excitement. And that is the chance of finding diamonds. Finding diamonds used to be a big event and the chance that the next block might uncover some was always a little exciting. Once you have steel though you have no reason to care about diamonds. In fact they become worth less than virtually any other resource in the game as the only thing you might want them to make (once you have an enchanting table) is jukeboxes. The only way I can see to solve this is nerf steel so it is weaker than diamonds or give diamonds some new and awesome use that you can't do better, faster, stronger and more renewably with steel...
Mason11987

Re: Steel ruins mining

Post by Mason11987 »

Sarudak wrote:Ok first off I'm not trying to initiate any flaming. Steel is awesome and it deserves to be awesome with all the work that you have to put into getting it. However once you have steel you have an infinite supply of the best tools, weapons, and armor in the game (because of remelting). That's really cool. The big problem is it takes away the one thing that I think gives mining (especially branch mining) some sense of excitement. And that is the chance of finding diamonds. Finding diamonds used to be a big event and the chance that the next block might uncover some was always a little exciting. Once you have steel though you have no reason to care about diamonds. In fact they become worth less than virtually any other resource in the game as the only thing you might want them to make (once you have an enchanting table) is jukeboxes. The only way I can see to solve this is nerf steel so it is weaker than diamonds or give diamonds some new and awesome use that you can't do better, faster, stronger and more renewably with steel...
BTW has a design philosophy behind it, where steve progresses up the tech tree to more advanced objects. One object that FlowerChild has mentioned is upcoming is a Lens, used among other things for long distance signal transfer. I don't know if it was stated officially but I assume diamonds will be involved with this.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Mason11987 wrote: BTW has a design philosophy behind it, where steve progresses up the tech tree to more advanced objects. One object that FlowerChild has mentioned is upcoming is a Lens, used among other things for long distance signal transfer. I don't know if it was stated officially but I assume diamonds will be involved with this.
I highly doubt diamonds would be involved as he talked about making large projector displays. And having to gather that many diamonds would be prohibitive.
Sky_Som

Post by Sky_Som »

Sarudak wrote:
Mason11987 wrote: BTW has a design philosophy behind it, where steve progresses up the tech tree to more advanced objects. One object that FlowerChild has mentioned is upcoming is a Lens, used among other things for long distance signal transfer. I don't know if it was stated officially but I assume diamonds will be involved with this.
I highly doubt diamonds would be involved as he talked about making large projector displays. And having to gather that many diamonds would be prohibitive.
No not really... If you play on one world long enough( as many people do(Including FC)), you get to the point of where they just sit around.
Minecraft Name:Sky_Som
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Sarudak wrote:
There is the option of making a lens require diamonds but not at 1:1, diamonds could be crafted into multiple of a particular item which is used, like glass --> glass panes --> Light blocks.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

I would assume diamonds would be a part of the lens, as would gold. But is that's really a minor detail compared to the lens actually coming into virtual existence.

On to the OP post: By the time you get steel tools, you normally have a large surplus of materials anyway, so branch/strip/what ever else people feel like calling it these days is no longer a needed part of the game play.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

walker_boh_65 wrote:I would assume diamonds would be a part of the lens, as would gold. But is that's really a minor detail compared to the lens actually coming into virtual existence.

On to the OP post: By the time you get steel tools, you normally have a large surplus of materials anyway, so branch/strip/what ever else people feel like calling it these days is no longer a needed part of the game play.
Really? Cause I had assumed that they would just be made with glass. I don't see the justification for diamonds and especially not for gold.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Sarudak wrote:
You say that, but the mod has only just introduced a method of farming mossy cobblestone. And some of us use a lot of block dispensers. The lens will have a primary function of long range signal transfer/tripwire/detector block extension. Projector displays...not so important. And Fyi, FC's already stated diamonds will be involved. Try justifying steel requiring souls before you argue that point.

Anyway, I thought the main reasons for strip mining were redstone, lapis and gold? wtf is this about diamonds?
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Urian

Post by Urian »

FC has said that steel will be needed in much larger quantities in the tech tree soon, the steel tools were mostly a byproduct included because it gave steel an early use.

As for lenses, if my memory doesn't fail me entirely FC did confirm that the recipe will require diamonds.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Robilar

Post by Robilar »

In my opinion, mining and gathering materials is just foreplay, and the automated machinery and builds are the real thing. As you progress in the tech tree, you need less foreplay and you get more of the good stuff, but advancing up the tree also allows for enhanced foreplay, if you still want it.

Steel is just a foreplay enhancer; Getting to steel and making it automated is where the real fun is. (Did I take FC's storyline-in-games philosophy too far?)

On a note about the lens materials: FC (When he last spoke on it, which was awhile ago, and is subject to change on less than a whim) stated that he wants the "Redstone Eye" to be the go to item for optics, hence its inclusion in the detector block. It was also confirmed a long while back that diamond would be used for the lens, most likely last brought up with the advent of steel.
FlowerChild wrote:FUCK MAN! WHAT WE GOING TO DO NOW! WE'RE IN SOME REALLY PRETTY SHIT!!!

<dakka dakka>
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

I approve of Robilar's description. It is both accurate and amusing.

Seriously though, it can be hard sometimes to readjust your thinking to the purpose of BTW. At least until the adventure update, Minecraft was primarily about the mining game and the persuit of diamond. (Hence the whole diamond reset.) As such, many mods reflected this and were about ways to improve the available game. BTW has you play a different game entirely, and in my opinion a much more satisfying one for which mining makes up one of the parts.

So, in effect, it doesn't ruin mining. It devalues it importance as the mod stands right now, but I don't believe FC will leave it that way forever. I think.by the time this mod is complete we will need every skill available in Minecraft, from mining, to planting, to breeding, to advanced engineering to electrical knowledge ;)

All I want is to support him to the point where I can see the finished product and marvel at it.

(And wow, sorry for long post... just got going on a subject near and dear to my heart.)
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Robilar

Post by Robilar »

morvelaira wrote:(And wow, sorry for long post... just got going on a subject near and dear to my heart.)
I think a lot of us have a few stories involving foreplay and BTW.
FlowerChild wrote:FUCK MAN! WHAT WE GOING TO DO NOW! WE'RE IN SOME REALLY PRETTY SHIT!!!

<dakka dakka>
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

I'm almost positive FC has stated the lens recipe will include diamonds. Plus, I usually get to steel before I use any diamond, so I end up with all the diamond I mine just sitting around.
IGN: Camerinthus
joetalbot1

Post by joetalbot1 »

Robilar wrote:
morvelaira wrote:(And wow, sorry for long post... just got going on a subject near and dear to my heart.)
I think a lot of us have a few stories involving foreplay and BTW.
[sarcasm]I know I have a few... man, those dutch women are crazy[/sarcasm]
Bucket list:
Visit Antarctica. check
Nearly cause a flame war over MLP. check
Cost Flowerchild some sanity. check
Say,"I've seen everything, now to die." why would I?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, I did say the lens would require diamonds, but I've decided to add 5 different kinds of new gems to world generation just to fuck up people's save games instead.

I decided being incompatible with other mods wasn't enough. I want everyone to be incompatible with themselves.
Pseudosavior

Post by Pseudosavior »

FlowerChild wrote:Well, I did say the lens would require diamonds, but I've decided to add 5 different kinds of new gems to world generation just to fuck up people's save games instead.

I decided being incompatible with other mods wasn't enough. I want everyone to be incompatible with themselves.
Sounds like some other mod that I know of... Will you also add in other mod's items too?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Pseudosavior wrote: Sounds like some other mod that I know of... Will you also add in other mod's items too?
No comment :)
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

Pseudosavior wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:Well, I did say the lens would require diamonds, but I've decided to add 5 different kinds of new gems to world generation just to fuck up people's save games instead.

Sounds like some other mod that I know of... Will you also add in other mod's items too?
I'm confused bashing people who make free content is alright now?
Necropolis

Post by Necropolis »

This entire conversation has been had elsewhere on this forum before. With the exact same logic. And near the exact same responses. As regards whether it is alright to bash modders, while providing goods for free is commendable, it's generally accepted that providing other people's goods for free is not, though I'd prefer to stay out of this particular argument.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

Necropolis wrote:This entire conversation has been had elsewhere on this forum before. With the exact same logic. And near the exact same responses. As regards whether it is alright to bash modders, while providing goods for free is commendable, it's generally accepted that providing other people's goods for free is not, though I'd prefer to stay out of this particular argument.
The only thing people can copyright is their code, their textures and anything else they made. They cannot copyright an idea.

That's my final word on the subject.
Pseudosavior

Post by Pseudosavior »

Brethern wrote:
Pseudosavior wrote:

Haha, I'm not bashing, just poking fun at. No intentional actual harm meant. :)
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

You have to admit, it wasn't a bad "joke" (for lack of a better word), it made me chuckle.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

Pseudosavior wrote:
Brethern wrote:
Pseudosavior wrote:

Haha, I'm not bashing, just poking fun at. No intentional actual harm meant. :)
I can't bash notch even in jest, why are you allowed to bash a modder?
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

I'd hardly call that comment bashing. There's a difference between poking fun at someone and saying how terrible and horrible they are at everything they do or questioning their competence.
Pseudosavior

Post by Pseudosavior »

Miss_Kat wrote:I'd hardly call that comment bashing. There's a difference between poking fun at someone and saying how terrible and horrible they are at everything they do or questioning their competence.
Exactly my point. I was not calling anyone a bad modder, or even the mod a bad mod. I was simply rolling along with FC's joke. Plus, I'm sure people can poke fun at Notch too, which happens quite often.