New Release! (BTW V3.21)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
TSA

Re: New Release! (BTW V3.21)

Post by TSA »

Another great update by FC.

thanks for sharing with us your mod.

how long it will take to have it compatible with Minecraft 1.0?

oh, and now that minecraft have launched is full version... will you give us the hope of a multi player compatible bTW version?

i know you hate this kind of questions but i was just wondering... don't get me wrong im just asking. Not wanting you to implement multi player version by force. =)

carry on with the good job.

people love you!

TSA
LunaticToad
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TSA wrote:Another great update by FC.

thanks for sharing with us your mod.

how long it will take to have it compatible with Minecraft 1.0?

oh, and now that minecraft have launched is full version... will you give us the hope of a multi player compatible bTW version?

i know you hate this kind of questions but i was just wondering... don't get me wrong im just asking. Not wanting you to implement multi player version by force. =)

carry on with the good job.

people love you!

TSA
Thanks man. I will take this opportunity however to remind people that asking about an update to a new version of MC is a bannable offense on these forums.

I've updated the forum rules to be specific about this.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Loving the tweaks to the pottery system !!
The new blocks are great for storage, and the columns and pedestal looks kinda cool actually ;)
As usual, thanks a lot man :)

Update video being uploaded right now btw ^^
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:Loving the tweaks to the pottery system !!
The new blocks are great for storage, and the columns and pedestal looks kinda cool actually ;)
As usual, thanks a lot man :)

Update video being uploaded right now btw ^^
Word up my man :)

Glad you can stomach the aesthetic blocks. I'm actually rather surprised by the mass positive reaction to those things. I've definitely done far more complicated and useful blocks in the past that have only received a fraction of the support from the community.

Like I said in that interview we did "put in a thousand colors of wool blocks, and everyone will love you" ;)

BTW: I've been meaning to ask you: have you gotten much use out of the Mining Charges yet? Would be really interested in hearing your feedback on their utility.
Urian

Post by Urian »

I'd attribute the popularity of pillars (and other aesthetic blocks) to 3 factors.
1. They look very good and haven't really got any counterparts in vMC.
2. They're something different from the rest of BTW so they pique people's interest.
3. The benefit of them is immediatley appareant whereas such blocks as the BD have many more uses but will take some time to figure out.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
TSA

Post by TSA »

Thanks man. I will take this opportunity however to remind people that asking about an update to a new version of MC is a bannable offense on these forums.

I've updated the forum rules to be specific about this.
oh! sorry then. i was not intending to insult yourself.
i guess i need to read the rules more carefully.

TSA
LunaticToad
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Urian wrote:I'd attribute the popularity of pillars (and other aesthetic blocks) to 3 factors.
1. They look very good and haven't really got any counterparts in vMC.
2. They're something different from the rest of BTW so they pique people's interest.
3. The benefit of them is immediatley appareant whereas such blocks as the BD have many more uses but will take some time to figure out.
Yeah, you're absolutely right. The largest positive reactions I've gotten to features have been to stuff like the sidings, water wheels, and wind mills, when they were first released.

They're definitely not the most significant features in the mod by a long shot, but they are the ones whose impact on the game is immediately apparent, while the more important ones are almost all "slow burn" in terms of people discovering their usage over time.

I think these kind of features do serve to attract people initially to the mod though, which isn't a bad thing. Plus I do think even serious users do get enjoyment out of them, even if they aren't the focus of the mod or their play-style (myself included).

Anyways, as always with this kind of thing, I have to just be careful that I don't let this trend get out of control. I suspect that now that the cat is out of the bag that I'm willing to do these kinds of blocks, I'm going to get an annoying number of requests for them, and I don't want that to distract me from more significant features.
TSA wrote: oh! sorry then. i was not intending to insult yourself.
i guess i need to read the rules more carefully.

TSA
Don't sweat it man. I just realized when I saw your post that this hadn't come up since 1.8 was released, so I just wanted to make sure that everyone was aware of my stance on it.

I don't mind being asked once, so no offense was given. If you check out the MCF thread though, you'll see that this just has a bit of a tendency to get out of control around the time of a new MC release ;)
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

And here it is :)

FlowerChild wrote: Like I said in that interview we did "put in a thousand colors of wool blocks, and everyone will love you" ;)
Lol, yeah, be carefull now, you're gonna get a lot of aesthetic suggestions now that people know you have ~20 blocks left ;)
FlowerChild wrote:BTW: I've been meaning to ask you: have you gotten much use out of the Mining Charges yet? Would be really interested in hearing your feedback on their utility.
Good thing you asked, I've played with it a few days ago, and noted something to tell you :
It took me quite some time to gather all of the materials to craft at least 4 stacks of mining charges, and I've then tested it :
- in a cave, at y=13, and it was great to dig shafts, and I ended up with a good amount of goodies with a single stack of M.C.
- in a "quarry" setup, with the BD (6, 32 M.C. per BD), and a water stream near bedrock, and it was disapointing. Maybe it was just bad luck, but I think that, given how the ores are spread, it's not worth the effort required to craft that much mining charges.
Maybe the blast, when facing down, could be higher ?
Though non-persistant behavior can be confusing, I know.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:And here it is :)
- in a "quarry" setup, with the BD (6, 32 M.C. per BD), and a water stream near bedrock, and it was disapointing. Maybe it was just bad luck, but I think that, given how the ores are spread, it's not worth the effort required to craft that much mining charges.
I'm a bit confused. Did you have the BD's facing downwards? If so, the charges should be destroying about 3 layers with each blast, so assuming that you started at sea-level, you would have only needed around 20 of them to reach bedrock.

If that's the case, it might explain why they felt underpowered.

I'll reserve further comment until we clear up that point :)
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Oh and also, quick texture question :
Which part of the 16x16 texture is used in the 3D models ? Like the urn ?
Always centered ?
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

FlowerChild wrote:I'm a bit confused. Did you have the BD's facing downwards? If so, the charges should be destroying about 3 layers with each blast, so assuming that you started at sea-level, you would have only needed around 20 of them to reach bedrock.

If that's the case, it might explain why they felt underpowered.

I'll reserve further comment until we clear up that point :)
Started on top of a huge mountain, at y 110, in a freshly generated 1.8 chunk
Also, 1/4 of it got screwed up by an underground lake at y~60
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote: Started on top of a huge mountain, at y 110, in a freshly generated 1.8 chunk
Also, 1/4 of it got screwed up by an underground lake at y~60
Hmmm...interesting. I actually doubled the amount of charges produced by the recipe in this latest release because the effort/reward ratio seemed a bit off to me as well.

It may take a number of tweaks to get it just right, but I don't want to do anything too drastic just yet until folks have really had a chance to play around with it.

Thanks for the feedback on this one man! I'm sure we shall discuss it further in the future :)
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

FlowerChild wrote:Thanks for the feedback on this one man! I'm sure we shall discuss it further in the future :)
Sure :)
Actually, I was about to make a new batch of mining charges, and test a new quarry, to test it more, so I'll record that to show you how it goes :)

Oh and, please don't miss that =) :
Battosay wrote:Oh and also, quick texture question :
Which part of the 16x16 texture is used in the 3D models ? Like the urn ?
Always centered ?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote: Oh and, please don't miss that =) :
Yup, I didn't. I was just watching your video before responding to the rest :)

Very nice job as always on that one! I'll add it to the OP on MCF momentarily!

With regards to the texture on oddly shaped objects, I believe MC uses the model's position within the overall block to determine the texture co-ordinate. So, for the Urn, since it is at the bottom of the block, it uses the bottom portion of the texture for the sides.

Looking forward to hearing your further observations on the mining charges man. If anyone else has experimented with using them to automate the mining process, I'd also be very interested in hearing what they have to say.

I need to experiment more with it myself, but haven't played enough since building my auto-soul-urn facility to really test it out properly.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I have an odd bug with texturing, I'm not even sure it can be fixed. On the planter, two of the faces of the rim of the planter aren't centered, so the texture is one pixel off.

The left face of the rim is correct, the right rim is one pixel off :/. Two off the outside faces are correct, two are off by one pixel. On the inside, same issue.

Unless I go for completely uniform colors, these carved out blocks are very hard to texture.

Here's some temporary eye candy btw :)
Spoiler
Show
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote:I have an odd bug with texturing, I'm not even sure it can be fixed. On the planter, two of the faces of the rim of the planter aren't centered, so the texture is one pixel off.
Ick. Yeah, there are definitely some texturing problems in the MC rendering code.

Unless I write some custom rendering routines for blocks (which I'd really prefer not to do...I most enjoy working on game-play related code), there's only so far I can go with custom texture support for the mod.

Sorry guys. This is one of the reasons I tend to go for uniform textures on my irregular blocks :\
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:Ick. Yeah, there are definitely some texturing problems in the MC rendering code.

Unless I write some custom rendering routines for blocks (which I'd really prefer not to do...I most enjoy working on game-play related code), there's only so far I can go with custom texture support for the mod.

Sorry guys. This is one of the reasons I tend to go for uniform textures on my irregular blocks :\
Yeah, no problem. I was just reporting it for reporting purposes. As you can see in the spoilered image, with some trickery, I can eventually get em right (for the pillars). For the planter, the texture goes all over the place. It sort of makes sense, but is off by 1 pixel for just 4 faces. I'm counting on it being an actual Mojang bug, but since vMC hasn't got these complex blocks, no one ever noticed.
Beebou

Post by Beebou »

I know people have been suggesting slipping on soap, but what about walking slow on dung? (like soulsand)
Say meh to that
MEH!
ye-eah, ye-eah, ye-eah
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Beebou wrote:I know people have been suggesting slipping on soap, but what about walking slow on dung? (like soulsand)
If you would read a little bit more carefully, you would know why that cannot be done.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Gilberreke wrote:Yeah, no problem. I was just reporting it for reporting purposes. As you can see in the spoilered image, with some trickery, I can eventually get em right (for the pillars).
They do look great. I can almost feel the indentation in the stone....
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

jorgebonafe wrote:
Gilberreke wrote:Yeah, no problem. I was just reporting it for reporting purposes. As you can see in the spoilered image, with some trickery, I can eventually get em right (for the pillars).
They do look great. I can almost feel the indentation in the stone....
Oh, that's all Jolicraft I'm afraid. It's a modified texture from Andre's Aether pack.

Not that I can't do similar stuff myself though, it's just highlight tricks :)
For example (from my abandoned 32x pack):

Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Great update! Can't believe I found out about it just now! ;)
... Oh and I need to find time to play with the new update and update my TP. Skyrim and Street Fighter have been eating most of my time lately though.
Anyway, good job and thank you!
TheGuy

Post by TheGuy »

This was probably overlooked since most people use glue instead of slime.
The glue recipe for mining charges yields 2 while the slime recipe only yields 1.
This is for both the anvil and crafting table recipe.
M!C

Post by M!C »

Thanks for another awesome update.

Seriously, I just read the last 10 or so pages of the MCF-thread ... It's amazing that you still supply us with high quality entertainment despite what's going on there (I can't understand how and more importantly why you still put up with it).
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheGuy wrote:This was probably overlooked since most people use glue instead of slime.
The glue recipe for mining charges yields 2 while the slime recipe only yields 1.
This is for both the anvil and crafting table recipe.
Doh! Will fix immediately :)
M!C wrote:Thanks for another awesome update.

Seriously, I just read the last 10 or so pages of the MCF-thread ... It's amazing that you still supply us with high quality entertainment despite what's going on there (I can't understand how and more importantly why you still put up with it).
You're welcome man! :)

And last night was nothing...seriously. I decided to have a few beers and wound up having some fun with a troll on MCF. Rather than dragging me down, it was acting as entertainment ;)