If I implement one more aesthetic block...

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
The great randomo

Re: If I implement one more aesthetic block...

Post by The great randomo »

:0
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

Oh hell yes! If those sorts of things are your idea of aesthetic blocks, FC, bring 'em on! So excited. =D
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

I could add these to my miniature white house !
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
Chuffy

Post by Chuffy »

The whole wooden frames thing fits with the feel of the mod, creating huge tudor style buildings for the win
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Rather than spend a block ID, is it possible to code a mob that can be placed by an item that contains no AI scripts at all? I'm not suggesting it be added to BTW, just curious.
Better is the enemy of Good
ialdbaoloth

Post by ialdbaoloth »

That looks very nice.

Safer than the mining charges I've been using to make fluted columns :)
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Sorry, not my favorite kind of feature ;)
But maybe I'll be surprised and end up loving it.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

FlowerChild wrote:What the heck, I'm in a good mood, so I'll give you guys an example. One of the things I'm doing is providing a few forms of "masonry" that allows for stuff like this:
Spoiler
Show
I do always love when your in a good mood, we get hints of what is to come. I love the new blocks, you try building something even close to that with molding and corners.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Glad you guys like them, with one notable exception...
Battosay wrote:Sorry, not my favorite kind of feature ;)
But maybe I'll be surprised and end up loving it.
Hehe...no, not my favorite kind of feature either, but I started on this whole thing because I realized I could implement one of our favorite kinds of features as an aesthetic block, thought "oh well, I can get a few others in at the same time", a week later...

I"M STILL DOING FUCKING AESTHETIC BLOCKS!!!! ARG!!!!! :)

See why I never accepted requests for them? It's never ending man, and dull as dirt.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BigShinyToys wrote: ( quick question can they be pushed / Pulled by pistons )
Yeah, they can. I'd never use tile entities for something like this. Too much of a performance hit if you use them for decorative blocks that people may place in huge numbers.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Oh, if there's one of our favorite feature crammed in this block ID, I might forgive you ;)
Though don't "waste" too much time on them :p
Especially if it's so boring to do ^^
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

Battosay wrote:Oh, if there's one of our favorite feature crammed in this block ID, I might forgive you ;)
Is this the wool slabs that we're talking about here? Or something else entirely?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:Oh, if there's one of our favorite feature crammed in this block ID, I might forgive you ;)

Yeah, I hear you man. The problem with boring in this case is that it's causing me to procrastinate and not work on the mod as much as I usually do. This really shouldn't have taken me more than a day of work.

Since I am in a spoiler kinda mood, the "trick" I was talking about was allowing the Urn to be placed as an aesthetic block. I realized that if I did that, I could fully automate soul-urn production by allowing them to be placed below a Hopper instead of within it (the old method still works too). When they are done filling, they convert into a soul urn item, and you can use a BD to slap another underneath. The whole thing is rather cool in action actually, like some kind of bottling-plant, and since the Urn block itself doesn't require any data (the Hopper keeps track of how many souls it has already deposited into it), it was a perfect fit for the aesthetic blocks I already had been planning to do "eventually".

That's the thing with the aesthetic blocks: none of them require any data, so I can cram 16 of them into a single block ID.

So yeah, that was the "functional" part which was done a weak ago. Everything else since has just been stuff like the columns in the pic, and massive procrastination :)

Anyways, I'm determined to push this fucker out today so I can move onto other things. I have a nice free Sunday to devote to this ;)
Alrin

Post by Alrin »

Now see, this is the kind of things I go nuts over :P
I spend majority of my time in the game agonizing over what blocks textures go in what direction and over golden ratios and what not, but not so much over making a wicked redstone/power contraption. I wish I knew RS and that better but the 'artsy' parts appeal a little more to me. :P I'm very grateful for these little bits that you decide to sprinkle in, it really is appreciated :)
Good on ya mate! Now, back to dealing with hardcore buckets. *shakes fist* KHAAAAANNNN!
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

FlowerChild wrote: Since I am in a spoiler kinda mood, the "trick" I was talking about was allowing the Urn to be placed as an aesthetic block. I realized that if I did that, I could fully automate soul-urn production by allowing them to be placed below a Hopper instead of within it (the old method still works too). When they are done filling, they convert into a soul urn item, and you can use a BD to slap another underneath. The whole thing is rather cool in action actually, like some kind of bottling-plant, and since the Urn block itself doesn't require any data (the Hopper keeps track of how many souls it has already deposited into it), it was a perfect fit for the aesthetic blocks I already had been planning to do "eventually".
This is what I'm talking about !
It sounds awesome :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:This is what I'm talking about !
It sounds awesome :)
Hehe...glad you like it. There's one more refinement to the overall pottery production method that I have in this next release too that I'll leave as a surprise, but I've already dropped a hint about that one being the first feature I've designed that I feel properly takes into account pistons being in the game and integrates their usage into automated systems ;)

I always kinda wanted the Urn to be a block, but couldn't justify using a block ID for it to myself. I had previously thought I'd need to track the number of souls already processed within it though, so I couldn't see a way around it until I realized the bit about having the Hopper store the data and turning the Urns into an aesthetic block.

Anyways, originally this was just planned as a small release to refine pottery production and fix the sound issues since Mojang updated theirs. It's just gotten a little out of control :)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

My playstyle seems to very much be limited to making mines successfully, but... if I could "make it pretty!" I think I'd be happy too.

This preview has made me squee more than just a little. At the same time, though, do what you love, FC. Filter in what aesthetics you can push yourself to do over time, and don't worry about putting more in for the sake of it. I mean... the more time you give it to percolate, the more time you have to come up with good uses for them like the soul urn, and not just fluff to fill block ids.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Well I have to say that despite how frustrating and boring you're finding it, the columns look amazing! I also really like the sounds of using the hopper as a bottling filling facility for urns. Hmmm. That sounds like a mechanism that could be adapted to filling other things in the future. I'll refrain from making any suggestions though!

There might be some complaining on the forum about using block ID numbers but I think people are just going to have to accept they can't have every mod running at once. Given the choice, I'd rather just have Better than Wolves anyhow. Keep up the great work!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

morvelaira wrote: This preview has made me squee more than just a little. At the same time, though, do what you love, FC. Filter in what aesthetics you can push yourself to do over time, and don't worry about putting more in for the sake of it. I mean... the more time you give it to percolate, the more time you have to come up with good uses for them like the soul urn, and not just fluff to fill block ids.
Yeah, that's really my plan with this. I'll probably release with around 16 out of the total 32 blocks filled, and leave the rest for later.

I'm not just filling block IDs for the sake of it though. Each thing I'm putting in now is something I've wanted for awhile, or on the opaque side, mostly I'm dealing with block versions of materials in the mod that really should have a block version according to the vanilla design methodology.

For example, pretty much all metals have a concentrated block form in vanilla (for compact storage or "show off" decoration), yet one is lacking for Steel. That kind of stuff. Those ones are very easy however, as they just involve a re-texture, which just takes me a few minutes a piece.

And yes...there is of course a dung block ;)
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote: And yes...there is of course a dung block ;)
Holy shit, that's awesome. Pun totally intended.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BinoAl wrote: Holy shit, that's awesome. Pun totally intended.
Hehe...yes...now everyone has a good reason to make their base look like a big old pile of shit ;)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

If it was flammable like netherrack, that would be amazing. >_>
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Or if it was affected bt gravity in the same way as sand or gravel. Imagine the humiliation of triggering a trap in SMP/adventure map and being drowned in dung.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Don't forget that they will all use a single block ID (or, well, 2, one opaque and one non-opaque), so they will all share the same properties.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:Don't forget that they will all use a single block ID (or, well, 2, one opaque and one non-opaque), so they will all share the same properties.
Exactly guys. Don't go asking for or expecting functionality on the aesthetic blocks. There's only so much I can do with them, and both flammability and gravity are not properties I can individually assign to them like that, at least not without base-class mods or additional hooks added to the Forge.

Luckily, a number of hooks are already in the Forge for certain things like hardness, and which tool type can be used on what, but others, like the sound they make when walked on, can't reasonably be touched yet.