New Release! (BTW V3.20)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
The great randomo

Re: New Release! (BTW V3.20)

Post by The great randomo »

FlowerChild wrote:Please don't turn this thread into Notch/Mojang bashing.
I didn't realise that people would react in that way when I said that. Sorry!
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

The great randomo wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:Please don't turn this thread into Notch/Mojang bashing.
I didn't realise that people would react in that way when I said that. Sorry!
Don't worry about it man. We've just had some rather epic Notch bashing on these forums in the past, so I try to minimize it.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Ahah, you did it ! Awesome :)
Now it's time to play arround with our new toy ^^

Thanks man ! =)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:Ahah, you did it ! Awesome :)
Now it's time to play arround with our new toy ^^

Thanks man ! =)
You're welcome :)

Hehe...yeah, I decided to delay the explosives release from its intended 5th of November while I considered the details of how it functioned. Decided to work on the Buddy Block first instead as I already had how I wanted it to work all sorted out.

I actually had a version more or less ready two nights ago, but decided to completely rework the Mining Charge from what I had to give it the directional blast it has now. That turned out to be a lot more work than I had anticipated, but I think you'll find it was worth it. My hope is that we now have explosives in the game that are actually useful instead of just an amusing diversion. There's a lot of subtle little differences between how the Mining Charge works as compared to TnT that I think really add up, but each of those details took time.

I think I'll spend the next few hours working on my auto-mining setup in-game, right after I update the MCF OP with the new recipes ;)
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

FlowerChild wrote:There's a lot of subtle little differences between how the Mining Charge works as compared to TnT that I think really add up, but each of those details took time.
I haven't had a chance to run the new version yet, could you give some details on what is unique about the mining charge?

Thanks
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mason11987 wrote:I haven't had a chance to run the new version yet, could you give some details on what is unique about the mining charge?

Thanks
That will be coming when I update the MCF OP shortly. I'll write up a description as I do for each item.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

FlowerChild wrote:
Mason11987 wrote:I haven't had a chance to run the new version yet, could you give some details on what is unique about the mining charge?

Thanks
That will be coming when I update the MCF OP shortly. I'll write up a description as I do for each item.
Appreciate the fast response, I'll wait for the OP update then. The two things that didn't seem quite there with BTW as of 3.1 was a lack of an ability to remove blocks efficiently (steel tools are good, but they just aren't the same class as the BD/DB/Hopper for automation purposes), and an abundance of relatively useless materials. Well done adding a feature that people enjoy and that also deals with those two things while also making sense. Also, explosions!
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Just be extremely careful when setting off separated charges. When the countdown on the first charge finishes, all charges that are ignited detonate at the same tick.

They are tremendously useful! It is now possible to dig out a massive room very precisely without going insane from swapping out a hundred picks.
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote:Just be extremely careful when setting off separated charges. When the countdown on the first charge finishes, all charges that are ignited detonate at the same tick.
Almost. There's actually a 1 tick (1/20th of a second) delay between each going off to help avoid overloading people's computers in a single frame.

I tried to strike a balance between utility and performance in a few areas. For example, the Mining Charge explosions will still destroy items in their radius (to prevent massive numbers of items existing simultaneously when auto-mining with BDs), but will NEVER destroy ore items.

As such, if you don't mind the loss of cobble, dirt, gravel, etc. (which I assume most people won't who are sufficiently advanced in the tech tree to mass-produce Mining Charges), you can safely use them to clear huge areas without losing potentially important resources (which can be collected with water-flow under the area being mined).
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

That is a very nice touch. I also noticed that dynamite has a built in safety mechanism where you can't throw it if you don't have a flint and steel in your inventory after running mine out.
Better is the enemy of Good
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

FlowerChild wrote:I think I'll spend the next few hours working on my auto-mining setup in-game, right after I update the MCF OP with the new recipes ;)
Can you make a video when you're done? I'd love to see that
Last edited by jorgebonafe on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I just noticed that the mod has reached a milestone!

I keep one chest in my main save for items, and one for blocks that come from the mod. This allows me when testing a new release to quickly go over to the chests and make sure that everything is in order with the existing blocks, or to grab something I want to test out really quickly.

Anyways, I just noticed this about my item chest:
Spoiler
Show
Time to start a new one! Happy 54th item everyone! :)
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

How many blocks are we up to then?

FC, amazing update as always! I just can't believe how much content you keep coming out with at this rate. I haven't had much time to play lately (Damn you Battlefield 3!), but I'm seriously looking forward to getting back into BTW very soon!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

KriiEiter wrote:How many blocks are we up to then?
Spoiler
Show
36 :)

That doesn't include "invisible" blocks like the one in front of the Detector Block, or the Kiln.

This number should be swelling significantly in the near future too, and as an added bonus, without consuming any additional block IDs.
KriiEiter wrote:FC, amazing update as always! I just can't believe how much content you keep coming out with at this rate. I haven't had much time to play lately (Damn you Battlefield 3!), but I'm seriously looking forward to getting back into BTW very soon!
Thanks man! I had my own period of enchantment with Battlefield 3 as well, but it only lasted a few days. I really don't find it adds THAT much to what the last Bad Company had, and given the limited map-selection by comparison, I found I didn't stay hooked for very long at all.
muggsbud

Post by muggsbud »

FlowerChild wrote:
KriiEiter wrote:How many blocks are we up to then?
KriiEiter wrote:FC, amazing update as always! I just can't believe how much content you keep coming out with at this rate. I haven't had much time to play lately (Damn you Battlefield 3!), but I'm seriously looking forward to getting back into BTW very soon!
Thanks man! I had my own period of enchantment with Battlefield 3 as well, but it only lasted a few days. I really don't find it adds THAT much to what the last Bad Company had, and given the limited map-selection by comparison, I found I didn't stay hooked for very long at all.
damn it! you're making me chose FC(and it's a tough choice). Don't you realize Skyrim comes out tonight!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

muggsbud wrote:damn it! you're making me chose FC(and it's a tough choice). Don't you realize Skyrim comes out tonight!
Hehe...I won't be offended. Skyrim looks pretty damn sweet, and BTW will still be here when you get back :)
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

FlowerChild wrote: -Added the Mining Charge as a new block type.

-Added Dynamite as a new item.
Oh oh, I wanted some new forms of explosives for the longest time and here it is. Thank you so much, FlowerChild!
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

Odd. I was sure I saw this question asked earlier in this thread, but can't seem to find it. Anyway, do I need to install this fresh, or will it install over my old version?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

logorouge wrote:Oh oh, I wanted some new forms of explosives for the longest time and here it is. Thank you so much, FlowerChild!
You're welcome man! I've wanted refined explosives for a very long time too. I think it was a series of unfortunate design decisions that made TnT virtually useless for anything practical. Everything from it hopping when ignited, to the irregular shape of its blast pattern, to it destroying ores, to it bouncing around like crazy when there's another blast that goes off nearby.

Plus, I fell in love with using the BD as a means to dispense explosives for huge excavation projects back when I built my factory farm. It was around then I started planning out how to make that method a viable means for automated mining.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

pi4t wrote:Odd. I was sure I saw this question asked earlier in this thread, but can't seem to find it. Anyway, do I need to install this fresh, or will it install over my old version?
Same thing as all the other versions - you need a fresh install.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Hop, here's the update vid :)

I quickly show how to use the BD with the mining charge, as I knew you designed it for this purpose ^^

Oh and, I noticed you can't place the mining charge non-opaque blocks (leaves, half blocks, ...).
Also, could it react just like TNT ? Being powered by adjacent blocks ? Place a redstone torch, or flip a level right next to it, stuff like that. :)
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

FlowerChild wrote: Plus, I fell in love with using the BD as a means to dispense explosives for huge excavation projects back when I built my factory farm. It was around then I started planning out how to make that method a viable means for automated mining.
Heh, talk about planning ahead ;)
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Mmm, shaped charges. Now we just need to find a road with traffic and we're all set for a basic ambush setup!

Looking good! The automated mining shaft with a BD seems to be well suited for a quick way of digging out an elevator shaft as well :)
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:Hop, here's the update vid :)

I quickly show how to use the BD with the mining charge, as I knew you designed it for this purpose ^^

Oh and, I noticed you can't place the mining charge non-opaque blocks (leaves, half blocks, ...).
Also, could it react just like TNT ? Being powered by adjacent blocks ? Place a redstone torch, or flip a level right next to it, stuff like that. :)
Thanks for making the vid man!

One thing to note: The Mining Charge is FAR more effective for auto-mining when used with a BD that is facing downwards :)

You will clear an average of 3 levels with each blast, as opposed to the 1 level you were getting with that sideways facing BD.

The non-opaque and direct powering thing was actually intentional.

Are you, Battosay, asking for indirect powering of a block?! The sky is falling, cats are sleeping with dogs, and the dead are rising from their graves.

Et tu Batto? :)
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

Katalliaan wrote:
pi4t wrote:Odd. I was sure I saw this question asked earlier in this thread, but can't seem to find it. Anyway, do I need to install this fresh, or will it install over my old version?
Same thing as all the other versions - you need a fresh install.
That's a pity. I'd just got all my mods installed for the 'tech tree' metamod (see the combining mods thread for more information). I guess I'll just have to leave this new update for now. Ah well, EE and IC2 should allow me to do the same thing when I get to them.

I do notice that IC2 is arranged so that you can put it into the mods folder, even though (IIRC) it contains base .class changes. I don't know how it works, and I assume that there's some disadvantage, as most mods don't use that method. I'd be interested to hear what the reason is, though.