Voxelizing tips requested!

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Feliponius

Voxelizing tips requested!

Post by Feliponius »

I've decided to take up a ridiculous project that I don't foresee finishing any time soon but I'm trying to find an adequate way of doing this project.

I am going to build a 1:1 scale copy of the eiffel tower.

Now I have a high detail 3d model in google sketchup (.skp) that I'd like to attempt to voxelize to gain some form of a blueprint. However, every attempt I make fails...miserably so.

I've tried binvox, poly2vox, a voxelizing ruby script inside of google sketchup.

Does anyone have any ideas?
BinoAl

Re: Voxelizing tips requested!

Post by BinoAl »

Half of the fun is voxelizing it yourself :)
Feliponius

Post by Feliponius »

Yeah, I agree. I am using sketchup's measuring tool to get it down to a metric consistency and I'm doing ok. I just wanted to undercut that part due to the sheer amount of work this is going to take. I mean we're talking about tons of materials just to substantiate each individual legs base! lol I went through at least 1-1/2 inventories full of stone on the first 29mx29m structure :P

Lol and since I'm not using buildcraft and only using BTW clearing out all the dirt and trees in my way is proving to be a task in and of itself. Lol when/if I finish this thing clearing out all this dirt is going to be mighty miserable!
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

How tall is it going to be, exactly? even digging down to bedrock, the height will only be around 125 possible blocks, since you can't dig the bedrock out of the way
screally

Post by screally »

The tower stands 324 metres
You couldn't even build a 2-1 scale with the height limit unfortunately.

3-1 is your best chance I'm afraid, unless you build it on it's side...
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

Or use the Cubic Chunks mod. Unfortunately, it's already been done :) Don't let that stop you doing it yourself too, though.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

pi4t wrote:Unfortunately, it's already been done :)
Holy crap. That's insane.
bazilshep

Post by bazilshep »

Looks like it needs a BTW elevator. :D
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Are you gonna do the stairways the have taking to the top? And the elevator?
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
joetalbot1

Post by joetalbot1 »

...words fail me.
Bucket list:
Visit Antarctica. check
Nearly cause a flame war over MLP. check
Cost Flowerchild some sanity. check
Say,"I've seen everything, now to die." why would I?
Feliponius

Post by Feliponius »

Well that sucks that someone's already built it! I'm still going to give my interpretation of it though!

I will, of course, be using the cubic chunks mod :P I researched doing it with the current height limit and I don't like the idea of a 5:1 ratio for building this thing :P

If I make any progress on the project I may start a journal of how I did it and such if anyone is interested.

I was thinking about stairs but I may do an epic btw elevator in the very middle from ground level going to the first floor :P

Edit: I was just looking at the video and I noticed a few things that don't make me feel so lame for at least trying to build it.

1. I COULD have been the first one to build it but my save got corrupted the first go around and I got discouraged :P Oh well!

2. I'm kinda a stickler for details so I found that the angles that he used are a little off. Still looks great, though.

3. I think he might have done this creative. I can't prove it, of course. (Unless it's mainly built of obsidian!) I plan to do the whole stupid thing legit. Unless...it turns out to be impossible. In which case I'll just...build a dirt house.
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

jorgebonafe wrote:Are you gonna do the stairways the have taking to the top? And the elevator?
I did wonder how long it would take before someone posted assuming I'd made it. I didn't. I'd never have the skill, or patience, to make anything remotely like that :)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

pi4t wrote:
jorgebonafe wrote:Are you gonna do the stairways the have taking to the top? And the elevator?
I did wonder how long it would take before someone posted assuming I'd made it. I didn't. I'd never have the skill, or patience, to make anything remotely like that :)
Ah, no, I was actually asking the OP... I went there a couple years ago, and I climbed all the way with the stairs... That's why I asked, doing that would be interesting, if very hard....
Feliponius

Post by Feliponius »

Where were the stairs located on the tower? In the legs? (this is probably a "Duh!" answer.) I've never been there so I'm curious.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Feliponius wrote:Where were the stairs located on the tower? In the legs? (this is probably a "Duh!" answer.) I've never been there so I'm curious.
It's been a while since I was there, but if I recall correctly, there were spiral stairs in two of the legs, and elevators in the other two.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Yeah, that's right.
There is some internal pictures of the stairs here, though I wouldn't know where to look for detailed 3d models.
http://www.3dmekanlar.com/en/eiffel-tower.html
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Out of curiosity, what are the system requirements to run cubic chunks without starting a fire at your desk?
Better is the enemy of Good
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

Well, my windows 7 laptop was just about able to run it at a reasonable fps, provided I wasn't generating new chunks. I decided to uninstall it though, but as I say, you may be able to. Install it and give it a go!
Feliponius

Post by Feliponius »

It actually runs really well. You'd be surprised. I don't totally understand how it works but it compartmentalizes all the chunks so that they load faster to make up for the huge amount of additional blocks.

In other words, it should be fine. Just test it on a new world before you mess with your current one. And always back your world up as well.
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

Well, there is a program to turn it back into a normal MC save if you decide not to use cubic chunks after all. It can be a bit glitchy, though, so back up first.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Hmm... I may actually have to do that. It would be interesting to rebuild the TCS Victory at full size even if I have to pass the map save around and use MC Edit to patch bits together for help with it.
Better is the enemy of Good
Feliponius

Post by Feliponius »

Just a little warning :P

I installed CC after I built all four of my base structures and when I loaded up my world (which I had backed up, thank God.) it created a lovely wall of stone all around them. They were conveniently connected by tunnels but I don't think that was what I was aiming for.

What I did to fix it was:

1. Install the config file recommended by CC
2. Use the file converter linked on the Mcf page and preconvert your save to Cubic Chunks. Otherwise it's going to try to do it for you when it loads up and, obviously, produce "desired" results lol