My first saw!

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Folrig

My first saw!

Post by Folrig »

Might I say the saw is the coolest thing...ever! And when I use "ever" include the Beatles and Godzilla. The saw makes wood go so much further, it's fun to use, AND panels, molding, and corners are wonderful building tools.

I want to declare this as the coolest aspect of BTW, but the saw is the furthest up the tech tree I have made it thus far.

FC, hat's off to you sir!
This...all of this...is just...wonky!
Mintdragon

Re: My first saw!

Post by Mintdragon »

Folrig wrote:Might I say the saw is the coolest thing...ever! And when I use "ever" include the Beatles and Godzilla. The saw makes wood go so much further, it's fun to use, AND panels, molding, and corners are wonderful building tools.

I want to declare this as the coolest aspect of BTW, but the saw is the furthest up the tech tree I have made it thus far.

FC, hat's off to you sir!
I really like the saw a lot too, but my favorite block is the turntable. I never have to make a redstone clock again. :)

(By the way, love your avatar. Bowser rules!)
Peace, love, and music.
Mints = happiness.
Minion of Herobrine.
I am a Sapling!^_^
muggsbud

Post by muggsbud »

neither of you have a functioning elevator then. :3
between it's actual use and the sense of accomplishment that has to be the best part.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

My personal favorite is the Hopper. Now that you have yourself a Saw, start building some of those ;)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Nothing will ever compare to the block dispencer.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
misterwuggles

Post by misterwuggles »

My personal favorite is the Hopper. Now that you have yourself a Saw, start building some of those ;)

Heh, immediately after I get my Saw up and running, that's exactly what I do. Not only because it's the next logical step, but it just helps so much with the collection of poops which I always seem to be lacking at that stage. I can deal with manual farming for a while, but poop collection is just so much more efficient and easier to deal with when you've got a simple stream and Hopper set up. I'm looking forward to using them in more complicated setups.

One thing I really liked about the Saw when I first used it was actually the Corners -> 2 Gears thing.
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

I would have to say that the hopper is also my favorite block. It makes automatic collection possible (besides the cauldron). And having it sort items and all its other uses just make me giggle with excitement, and glow with satisfaction whenever I have a cool hopper setup going.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

I really like the alternate recipes for vanilla stuff, especially the ones using mouldings, corners and sidings, such as
Spoiler
Show
A siding above a moulding to create a sign, or three mouldings for stairs.
Another thing I like about the recipes is that most of them are easy to guess but also realistic and interesting, for instance, the order of the items for the haft, or the saw recipe.
In vanilla many things are hard to guess - a lever is made upside down, TNT is just a mix of materials in a symmetrical way and I still don't understand how to make a fence gate.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
misterwuggles

Post by misterwuggles »

Heh, when I first started playing not long ago I tried to make the Axle from memory and did it horizontally when it was still a vertical recipe. A simple change but it actually did affect me.
Thalmane

Post by Thalmane »

My favorite is the light block ;) I just love turning my mob spawning platforms off with the click of a button
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Thalmane wrote:My favorite is the light block ;) I just love turning my mob spawning platforms off with the click of a button
Wow I never thought about that one... would have made life so much easier when trying to fix it rather than charging in and dying while plugging the hole...
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

Deepsniper wrote:
Thalmane wrote:My favorite is the light block ;) I just love turning my mob spawning platforms off with the click of a button
Wow I never thought about that one... would have made life so much easier when trying to fix it rather than charging in and dying while plugging the hole...
There's this new thing added in a later update, which automatically blocks the hole for you when you just left click on it. It's called a door.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

I meant for the mob grinders... I usually have 4x4 holes in my design setup... cant block that by doors...
M!C

Post by M!C »

Deepsniper wrote:I meant for the mob grinders... I usually have 4x4 holes in my design setup... cant block that by doors...
Same for me, I'm currently installing a setup with 16 pistons to block the hole.
Folrig

Post by Folrig »

Mintdragon wrote: I really like the saw a lot too, but my favorite block is the turntable. I never have to make a redstone clock again. :)

I'll likely build a turntable soon. Right now I am messing around with making Concentrated Hellfire. I summoned my first Ghast, and I'll have to deal with him next time I'm able to play.

(I whole heartedly agree with your esteem of Bowser. He indeed does rule. And I need to reciprocate, while I don't recognize your avatar, dragons are very cool!)
FlowerChild wrote:My personal favorite is the Hopper. Now that you have yourself a Saw, start building some of those ;)
Hoppers were the first things I built after making the saw...after goofing around making a bunch of panels and molding.

The first time I was blown away by the hopper was back when they were constructed with two planks. I felt soooofisticated because I was able to copy Batosay's automated hemp farm. The reason I never built the saw then was because I first used BTW on Vechs Super Hostile - Black Dessert. If you don't already know, Vechs is a guy who makes absurdly hard survival maps. In the Super Hostile series dirt is a resource to be cherished, so wolves are non-existent (honestly I'm surprised I found lapis to make the detector block and finish the hemp farm...that took some serious serching).
Stormweaver wrote:Nothing will ever compare to the block dispencer.
The awesomeness of the BD crept up on me. I didn't realize just how powerful it was until I combined it with my (first) redstone timer. I made an automatic cobblestone factory and I was floored when I walked away for a few minutes and came back to find twenty stacks of cobblestone waiting for me. What a time saver (it also slices and dices)!

And this is just scratching the surface of automation....so cool!
This...all of this...is just...wonky!
Mintdragon

Post by Mintdragon »

Folrig wrote:
Mintdragon wrote: I really like the saw a lot too, but my favorite block is the turntable. I never have to make a redstone clock again. :)

I'll likely build a turntable soon. Right now I am messing around with making Concentrated Hellfire. I summoned my first Ghast, and I'll have to deal with him next time I'm able to play.

(I whole heartedly agree with your esteem of Bowser. He indeed does rule. And I need to reciprocate, while I don't recognize your avatar, dragons are very cool!)
(Thanks! Dragons are awesome!)
Peace, love, and music.
Mints = happiness.
Minion of Herobrine.
I am a Sapling!^_^