Zipline Mod needs a home

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
MiningMan

Zipline Mod needs a home

Post by MiningMan »

So the creator the the zipline mod posted today on reddit that he isn't planning on maintaining his mod any longer due to his busy schedule. He says that it would be great if was brought into vanilla Minecraft, but this probably is not going to happen with Mojang getting ready for the full release and working on alchemy. This mod would fit great into better than wolves, since rope and anchors are already coded. I personally would love to have this in btw, particularly the ability to fire rope with a bow. Is integrating the zipline mod or some elements of it into btw something the community would be interested in?

Here's some links
Mod page: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/435 ... sspwipvcc/
Reddit post: http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comme ... in/c2w7qek
Stormweaver

Re: Zipline Mod needs a home

Post by Stormweaver »

in BTW? I doubt that happening somehow.

Peeps thinking of making the HCBish add-on might be interested though.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Robilar

Post by Robilar »

I've seen screenshots of this mod before, and it personally looks really neat, but I try to keep my jar as clean as I can, so I've never tried it. Personally, I probably wouldn't touch anything that wasn't square in MC with a ten foot pole (as far as coding goes) but with a decent code set already there, it may be possible with someone with more experience to take up the mod or to fashion it into a BTW Plugin.

I don't imagine FC will take it up (I could be very wrong, but he tends to like developing things himself) and the plugin would be more difficult without FC's API finished, but I could see this fitting nicely into BTW with some tweaks. (has to be fired from a composite bow due to the weight, though balancing is up to the mod author, so that's just an example)

I may revert to a 1.7.3 jar quick to try it out. I would like to see how smooth it works, since I've yet to see anything that makes something other than a block or an item very well at all outside of BTW.

Edit: Watched the video, and it seems fairly rough, but the horizontal rope seems like it could be pretty neat. I won't lie and say I wouldn't enjoy this, but I couldn't bring myself to hassle with it if it wasn't directly in BTW or a BTW plugin.
Last edited by Robilar on Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild wrote:FUCK MAN! WHAT WE GOING TO DO NOW! WE'RE IN SOME REALLY PRETTY SHIT!!!

<dakka dakka>
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Rope can't be shot diagonally and sometimes the arrow will break blocks which is annoying, but otherwise it's a fun, polished mod that helps a lot in mountain climbing/cave diving.
Mintdragon

Post by Mintdragon »

grimper12341 wrote:Rope can't be shot diagonally and sometimes the arrow will break blocks which is annoying, but otherwise it's a fun, polished mod that helps a lot in mountain climbing/cave diving.
Keep in mind that if FC takes up this mod, he can tweak it as much as he wants. I don't think he will though. It makes the game too easy, I find.
Peace, love, and music.
Mints = happiness.
Minion of Herobrine.
I am a Sapling!^_^
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

If I had any programming skill I would be all over this! I'm sad it has been abandoned Ive wanted the rope bridges so bad! I'm not holding my breath for FlowerChild taking it over, which is fine, as cool as it would be I think he has better things to do than integrate this mod.
muggsbud

Post by muggsbud »

I would seriously like to see some parts of that mod in BTW, but i shudder at the thought of how FC would up the difficulty level. It would probably end up in an age that has yet to come.
(carbon fiber ages? Oh god!)
Urian

Post by Urian »

I seem to recall someone suggesting that FC should use some of that content in BTW way back and the answer was no. In other words, there is very little chance (I'd say no chance at all but since I'm currently in the academic field, I don't use absolutes :p ) that FC will take over the mod.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
MiningMan

Post by MiningMan »

I'm sure FC is busy with all the updates he's been releasing recently, but I had to bring this up. I'd hate to see such a cool and functional mod fade away, particularly when it would fit into btw so well.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

I personally love the mod, but FC is working very hard on this mod. I mean, look how much work was put into the New Age!:)
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
misterwuggles

Post by misterwuggles »

I like the idea of using rope to do something between two points in a more horizontal fashion, but I dunno if I like the idea of a zipline exactly. I'd be more interested with being able to set up a gondola or some sort of item transportation contraption. Just firing/setting up a rope and sliding down it seems a bit too mundane for BTW, though admittedly I am still a fairly large noob when it comes to the mod.
Mintdragon

Post by Mintdragon »

misterwuggles wrote:I like the idea of using rope to do something between two points in a more horizontal fashion, but I dunno if I like the idea of a zipline exactly. I'd be more interested with being able to set up a gondola or some sort of item transportation contraption. Just firing/setting up a rope and sliding down it seems a bit too mundane for BTW.
^This.
If Flowerchild DID take it up, he would have to tweak it until you couldn't recognize it anymore. So it's better he work on something else. (More leather chaps? :P)
Peace, love, and music.
Mints = happiness.
Minion of Herobrine.
I am a Sapling!^_^
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I looked it over, and a few things:

a) The author really hasn't made any official statement that he's abandoned the mod. He says he's "stopped working on it" on reddit, but that might mean it's temporary. Also, his mod page clearly says he's waiting until after minecon to continue.

b) He certainly hasn't stated a willingness to turn it over to someone else or give someone the source code. It looks like fans are the ones wanting this to happen, not the mod author.

c) Frankly, he sounds rather young and inexperienced. His code is thus likely to not be in very good shape.

I'm not interested in taking this thing over regardless, but I just wanted to say that I think this whole conversation is rather premature, and not particular respectful towards the mod-author.
MiningMan

Post by MiningMan »

thanks for the response FC
muggsbud

Post by muggsbud »

FlowerChild wrote:I looked it over, and a few things:

a) The author really hasn't made any official statement that he's abandoned the mod. He says he's "stopped working on it" on reddit, but that might mean it's temporary. Also, his mod page clearly says he's waiting until after minecon to continue.

b) He certainly hasn't stated a willingness to turn it over to someone else or give someone the source code. It looks like fans are the ones wanting this to happen, not the mod author.

c) Frankly, he sounds rather young and inexperienced. His code is thus likely to not be in very good shape.

I'm not interested in taking this thing over regardless, but I just wanted to say that I think this whole conversation is rather premature, and not particular respectful towards the mod-author.
regardless of whether or not he does abandon the mod there are several things in it that seem... just a short leap from BTW functionality. Although the two ropes function differently it seems like his ropes are more versatile. I hope to see something similar to the bridges in BTW just a step or two down the tech tree. The two would lend themselves to each other very well with a few minor adjustments.

looking at the mod it seems well polished, or as good as it can in mc.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Sorry to divert the conversation slightly, but it does seem to be over - Has anyone else noticed a guy called Coupon on the MCF "Taking Over" "Abandoned" mods with little or no thought! He's updating them to 1.8.

I've told him just what I think of him via PM's and I think a barrage of about 7 of us (Us being the authors of abandoned mods) have stopped him form taking any more over, but it really is only a matter of time before someone else pulls the same stunt, perhaps with less morals than this guy - he does seem to at least to be receptive to listening.
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.