New Release! (BTW V2.99)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V2.99)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 2.99 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added Wool Slabs, both as an aesthetic block and as a method of providing color-coded off-bits when using the Block Dispenser as a ROM. They are fully functional with regards to the various dying methods in vanilla Minecraft and the mod, and may be created using the same standard "3-blocks in a line" recipe used for other slabs in the game. They can also be created by placing a wool block in front of the Saw.

-Added optional "Hardcore Bucket" mode (off by default...can be turned on in the config file). This basically prevents the player from being able to transport water & lava source blocks and is a mode intended to make fluid flow (and by extension, the generation of mechanical power) far more interesting without causing additional performance overhead, by requiring the player to actually build canals and such to have access to liquids. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

-Added Hard Boiled Eggs as an item.

-Added ability to render eggs into Tallow at a 4 to 1 conversion ratio.

-Added Potash as an item.

-Added Soap as an item.

-Added Saw Dust as an item.

-Added the ability to smelt ore and produce charcoal in the Kiln.

-Changed the number of wood planks produced when using the Saw on a log to 5 instead of 6.

-Changed the Hopper "filler" item to be brick instead of clay balls. This is to aid in automating production of Pottery.

-Changed Unfired Pottery to no longer use a tile entity. This means that it can now be pushed by pistons.

-Changed the Kiln to be an actual block. This change is invisible to the player but allows the Kiln to be far more flexible in its functionality. Unfortunately, this has also required changing the time it takes Pottery to cook and may mess with existing auto-Kilns as a result.

-Changed high-efficiency Saw recipe for the sign to use 1 Moulding and 1 Siding.

-Changed amount of Rotten Flesh required to render into glue from 2 units to 4.

-Changed trap door filter on the Hopper to allow narrow objects (bones, arrows, sticks, etc.) to pass through (instead of items that stack up to 64) as the old functionality was no longer really useful with the changes made to stack sizes in 1.8.

-Changed the Hopper filters to properly process new items added in 1.8 (pumpkin/melon seeds, ender pearls, etc.).

-Changed the way the Hopper processes items slightly (a larger refactor is coming for the API), so as per usual with such changes, let me know if you spot any oddities with the Hopper filters over the next little while.

-Changed the Wicker and Rollers Hopper filters to not allow Ink Sacks to pass through (they previously could because the Minecraft code considers them to be "dye powders").

-Changed the Block Dispenser to be able to pick-up vine blocks and tall grass.

-Changed the Block Dispenser to place clay blocks if it contains 4 or more clay balls to aid in the automated creation of Pottery.

-Changed the Block Dispenser to have 16 inventory slots instead of 9 to facilitate its usage as a ROM. This also makes some sense considering the BD doesn't really have any kind of internal mechanism taking up space, unlike the regular dispenser.

-Changed the Axle recipe to be horizontal instead of vertical, as it's far more intuitive.

-Fixed problem with the Saw cutting saplings when it's not supposed to. Also applied this to Melon & Pumpkin stems.

-Fixed problem that would sometimes cause Stoked Fire to periodically go back to being regular fire even though it was being continually blown upon by the Bellows. Stoked fire should be much more consistent as a result.

Enjoy :)
Ethazeriel

Re: New Release! (BTW V2.99)

Post by Ethazeriel »

aah, a new release.
-Added optional "Harcore Bucket" mode (off by default...can be turned on in the config file). This basically prevents the player from being able to transport water & lava source blocks and is a mode intended to make fluid flow (and by extension, the generation of mechanical power) far more interesting without causing additional performance overhead, by requiring the player to actually build canals and such to have access to liquids. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
awesome... will definitely be trying this out. little spelling mistake there^ "Harcore"

Thanks for the update!
Folrig

Post by Folrig »

FlowerChild wrote:Version 2.99 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

This release contains the following changes:

-snip-

-Added optional "Harcore Bucket" mode (off by default...can be turned on in the config file). This basically prevents the player from being able to transport water & lava source blocks and is a mode intended to make fluid flow (and by extension, the generation of mechanical power) far more interesting without causing additional performance overhead, by requiring the player to actually build canals and such to have access to liquids. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

-snip-

Enjoy :)
Interesting.

So, can buckets still be filled? Just not placed?

This sounds...tough. :)

edit: Well, duh! It has to for at least the cauldron.
Last edited by Folrig on Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This...all of this...is just...wonky!
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

-Added optional "Harcdore Bucket" mode (off by default...can be turned on in the config file). This basically prevents the player from being able to transport water & lava source blocks and is a mode intended to make fluid flow (and by extension, the generation of mechanical power) far more interesting without causing additional performance overhead, by requiring the player to actually build canals and such to have access to liquids. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
This sounds amazing. I will make sure to play about with it and provide some feedback on this option. I really like the change, as it just "feels" good compared to the way BTW is designed in general. In addition it also means that I will have to make canals and such, and can no longer slack. :D Makes for far more realistic and cooler looking projects for me. =D

Love that option, thanks!

P.S.
Yes, I know I could have "forced" myself to just make canals and such, but getting a bucket of water up somewhere is often just too easy to do and I'm rather lazy. :P Forcing me to do it properly is awesome. :D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Folrig wrote:So, can buckets still be filled? Just not placed?
They can be filled and placed as per normal, the water they place just isn't a source block.

It basically shifts things around so that source blocks can only occur naturally.

I've done a full play-through of the mod with it this way, and personally, I'm going to be playing with this setting enabled from now on. It makes the construction of practically any system far more interesting.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the buckets can be filled from any fluid block...not just source. You can run a steam into your base and fill buckets from it.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

I'm sensing a new way to get gun powder.

Also I'm curious with having soap in your inventory remove any dung?
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

oooh, wasn't expecting 2.999 tonight. That said...wow.

Block dispencer changes are epic, wool slabs are unintuitively functional, kiln & pottery changes are great...and 'hardcore bucket mode'. I knew it had something to do with water.

Oh, and the sign recipe is awesome. Not the hugest change, but I do like the the 90% reduction of resources from the vMC recipie >.<
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote: Oh, and the sign recipe is awesome. Not the hugest change, but I do like the the 90% reduction of resources from the vMC recipie >.<
Yeah, you can thank Battosay bitching about that on the Edolas server while making his overly-large mob-trap for that one :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BTW: Just noticed a slight fuck-up I made with this release. If you don't have the config file installed, the mod will default to hardcore buckets. Just dropping the config in your minecraft directory will correct this however.

I don't consider this serious enough to warrant a emergency patch-release, but I am bracing myself for the noob-bitching on MCF ;)
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Awesome update! I haven't been playing minecraft much lately and had set my mind on waiting until everything settles after minecon but this just convinced me of testing it all out. The new hardcore bucket mode sounds awfully fun!

EDIT: No egg-canon? ;)
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

And of course, now i'm running around trying to solve how to make potash, and figure out if soap and sawdust do anything.

/shakesfist
Folrig

Post by Folrig »

I really want to play on "Hardcore Bucket" mode, but I haven't completed the tech tree on non-"Hardcore Bucket" mode yet.

I feel as though I should finish the tech tree at least once first.
This...all of this...is just...wonky!
Beebou

Post by Beebou »

Soap! Haha! Yes! That's right! Oh yeah! I got rejected for that before! Yes!
Say meh to that
MEH!
ye-eah, ye-eah, ye-eah
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

To celebrate hardcore-bucket mode, I'm having a vodka-red bull. I feel the fact that both have something to do with fluid justifies it.

...now to justify fitting it into the skyblock journal :| Ice'll still drop water sources, right? Just for a stopgap measure and all.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

Beebou wrote:Soap! Haha! Yes! That's right! Oh yeah! I got rejected for that before! Yes!
...Can i suggest that sort of commentary is a: incredibly rude, and b: Not at all helpful dood?

We don't even know what soap does currently, let alone IF it does anything. (As a quick aside to anyone trying to make it - One of the new materials added this patch, plus an item that had no use in a stoked cauldron is the way to go).

Back on track: Gotta say I'm still really stumped on how to get Potash. Has anyone else had any luck figuring it out yet? Nothing i've read on wikipedia or the ilk has given me any insights either.
Rosethorns

Post by Rosethorns »

SO excite. Now my secret texture project just got bigger, and thats totally cool :P
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

Mrchaim wrote:And of course, now i'm running around trying to solve how to make potash, and figure out if soap and sawdust do anything.

/shakesfist
I'm wondering if it has anything to do with sawdust, and the cauldron. Potash is obtained from wood ashes so it's logical.
Robilar

Post by Robilar »

Actually, I haven't even turned on Minecraft yet and I know that I love the bucket tweak. I've been playing with it since I started the Utopia project and it's a heck of a lot more satisfying completing something when you actually have to concern yourself with the water. My only (mild) worry will be finding a water source high enough for MC water physics to allow me to make said canals and aqueducts. For the Utopia project I used a bucket-made lake, but after that haven't touched the things.
FlowerChild wrote:FUCK MAN! WHAT WE GOING TO DO NOW! WE'RE IN SOME REALLY PRETTY SHIT!!!

<dakka dakka>
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

Brethern wrote:]I'm wondering if it has anything to do with sawdust, and the cauldron. Potash is obtained from wood ashes so it's logical.
That's what i thought as well - So far though, Sawdust in a cauldron or cruicble that's stoked does nothing, so if it is that, there's some other compent to things that i'm missing.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Mrchaim wrote:
Brethern wrote:]I'm wondering if it has anything to do with sawdust, and the cauldron. Potash is obtained from wood ashes so it's logical.
That's what i thought as well - So far though, Sawdust in a cauldron or cruicble that's stoked does nothing, so if it is that, there's some other compent to things that i'm missing.
I'm not at my PC to test right now, but maybe it's a kiln recipie? After all, it's not something that would work if melted or boiled, is it?
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

Mrchaim wrote:
Another form of wood ashes is charcoal. Perhaps a bucket of water in the cauldron as well?

I can tell you it's not a crafting bench recipe it has to be in something else.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

The name "Potash" literally derives from ""Pot Ash", as in Ashes in a Pot" (I've learned way too much about this stuff the past couple of days). I'm sure you guys will figure it out :)
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

Stormweaver wrote:
Mrchaim wrote:
I'm not at my PC to test right now, but maybe it's a kiln recipie? After all, it's not something that would work if melted or boiled, is it?
To my knowledge assuming FC is following RL principals. Which up to this point he is. (aside from the obvious things.) and from my own RL experiments mixing ashes and water and then boiling the mixture is all that is required to create potash.

My world is no where near the point where I can experiment with these. I just found a new seed and I'm living in a cave in my other one. Or by FC's post maybe charcoal in a pot?
Beebou

Post by Beebou »

Sorry for sounding rude :(
I'm just excited! Tallow has a use! One day after killing a ton of cows and pigs I got A LOT of meat. I threw it all in my cauldron and went to do other things. I didn't realize that my fire was stoked. Result= A LOT OF TALLOW!
And now I have a use for that.
Thanks for the new release!!! :D
Say meh to that
MEH!
ye-eah, ye-eah, ye-eah
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

The Pot of Ash thing caught my eye as well when i was reading wikipedia. I'm still utterly stumped on how to make it, but to be fair i've got a pretty vicious fluey thing going on, so my brain's mostly toddling around going "...brains..." with only the occasional synapse firing. Does make it a little bit hard to make connections for this sort of thing, however.