Musket

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
InTheCloset

Musket

Post by InTheCloset »

I was a bit surprised when I saw that it hadn't been suggested. I think that a musket is a good thing to add right now:

EDIT: I am changing this post a bit since people complained about clarity

- It will be quite usefull now since mobs have been empowered a bit

- It is not (imho) a thing quite alien to BTW

- It could potentially give an additional use to Flint, Gun powder and probably Paper

- It could have a function that a bow hasn't. Spread shot, one hit kills? And it wouldn't be overpowered becouse the ammunition could be more difficult to make than arrows and it could reload slowly.

- It could be more powerful than the sword and bow without being the exact same thing but simply made from different materials

- It will give a way to end unwanted fights very quickly without wasting time on a zombie that randomly happened to spawn in your base and dispatching of creepers about to explode near something important (Steve?)

- It could be "refreshing" (something like the Battle Axe) without being similar to the mods that include the ugly AK47 that "ejaculates" pixels, pistols, C4 and other crazy stuff

- It wouldn't make other weapons useless becouse it is usefull strictly in one on one fights, or when low on health and filled with important resources while running from a mob

- I am not the "Minecraft needs gunz!" type of idiot. I just think that someone who uses electric lamps, builds complex railway systems, utilizez light detectors, blows stuff up with TNT and makes various factories really has outgrown (literally) hitting an enemy over the head with a sword that resembles a stick as a most advanced method of fighting.

- A musket is by no means cool.. unless you find it cool..
So what are your thoughts about it?
Last edited by InTheCloset on Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
M!C

Re: Musket

Post by M!C »

RUN!!!
InTheCloset wrote:- It is cool!
You're doomed ...
Last edited by M!C on Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

No thanks...
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
InTheCloset

Post by InTheCloset »

Why don't you like the idea?

- It's not overpowered (ammo is expensive to make and reload time is high)

- It's unlike all the mods that feature AK47's, bazookas and sub machine guns

- It's better than going medieval on mobs using swords, arrows and... well, swords and arrows, without making them obsolete

- It's a weapon that needs attention - changing flint for the cap, crafting ammo from creeper powder, paper and little rock slabs (crafted on the anvil)

EDIT: Not to mention that using the same old types of weapons (and just two of them to top it off) but using different materials is getting kind of old to me. Everyting thats new is actually something which is old but just refined a bit - a sword is a sword irregardless of materials used, same goes for the bow :(

Sounds like a pretty reasonable idea to me
Last edited by InTheCloset on Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Noodlerex

Post by Noodlerex »

Yes but it adds absolutely zero content, it does nothing we can't do already. In the interview with FC and I'm not sure if you have seen it or listened to it, and these aren't his exact words but he said something along the lines of; Combat in Minecraft is simple and should stay simple, you have different archetypes of mobs and your two basic combat abilities. And I tend to agree with him, Minecraft imho is about building, not really combat and expanding upon the combat system just seems a waste of time imho.
FlowerChild wrote: Never trust a bronie.
InTheCloset

Post by InTheCloset »

Noodlerex wrote: In the interview with FC and I'm not sure if you have seen it or listened to it, and these aren't his exact words but he said something along the lines of; Combat in Minecraft is simple and should stay simple, you have different archetypes of mobs and your two basic combat abilities.
Its not like I suggested lazer rays or uranium grenades now didn't I? I just think that "make a wooden sword, now make a stone sword, now make an iron sword, now one made of diamond, now a steel one, now one made of..." is getting kind of old. At the current rate it seems that minecraft v2.5 would have a ... sword and a creeper with 50 hearts.
Noodlerex wrote:Minecraft imho is about building, not really combat and expanding upon the combat system just seems a waste of time imho.
I don't really think Minecraft is just about building stuff - otherwise we'd all be stuck in creative mode right?

However I do agree with regards to the combat system, I just get quite annoyed when I am low on health, going somehwere with important gear or resources and have to get into elaborate, time consuming shootouts with a Blaze or have to prance around a Creeper.

I thought the musket as just an advanced and slightly different in function version of the bow that isn't just the NEXT same exact thing with a little bit more power, as tradition would have it.

There is little differense between their functions when you think about it. Nothing fancy or unusual (unlike other mods) there.

I think that its even less unorthodox then the already implemented Battle Axe.
Glox

Post by Glox »

Gun suggestions usually come from idiots that have no clue what this mod is about and that want GUNZ AND LAZORS AND STUFF. While you may not be one of those kids, suggesting a gun, have your post contain virtually no info on what it is (i had to google what a musket is as english is not my native language) or how it would work, mediocre reasons on why it would be good*, and ending with "it would be cool!" does not really give us much reason to believe you are different from those idiot kids.

* A) mobs are still ridiculously easy to fight, and if mobs are made tougher there is probably a reason for it (balance). Why would you go nullify that by making more powerfull weapons? B) Spread shot is the only new function this would give. While usefull, is it enough to warrant this suggestion?

Looking at your replies i'm inclined to believe you have a pretty decent suggestion, but that you did a poor job explaining it in the OP.
I don't really see the use, as either you have a gun that is easy to operate and thus way to high tech for this mod, OR you have a gun that could fit in the tech tree and as you said needs attention (changing flint for cap, crafting expensive ammo etc.) but then why would you use it if there is a cheap, easy to use, and still quite powerfull bow?
InTheCloset

Post by InTheCloset »

Glox wrote: why would you use it if there is a cheap, easy to use, and still quite powerfull bow?
Oneshoting annoying zombies (as you said it's quite stupid to "fight" mobs, its just time consuming when it happens and you don't really want it), saving your ass in a sticky situation when low on health, and just being something new and refreshing (as I said I am tired of the SAME OLD weapons made from different materials and DON'T like the idea of "OMG uzi and lazohs and desert eagles!" in minecraft

Sorry for being retarded in the OP
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

FC posted in the turtle subforum not long ago exactly what he likes to see in suggestions and what he doesn't want to see.
If we were to rewrite this suggestion to a new format that better suits what FC is after you can quite clearly see why this isn't a good suggestion.
I want a way to one-shot zombies and make blazes easier to handle, but that isn't your regular bow or sword because I'm tired of them.
In the end, I don't care if its a musket, an utzi, a crossbow or a friggin helmet with a minigun on top driven by redstone power and shooting chicken eggs. There are already ways to shoot zombies and blazes and I don't think it is worth the effort adding anything like this, at least not until we see what happens to the composite bow.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

After thinking about this idea, I came to the conclusion that this would not have many uses in the future of the mod.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

OK, trying to take the idea in a constructive direction - and I should point out, I don't really see the need for it at the moment and think the techniques needed to manufacture one are not yet being explored by better than wolves, they are more advanced than the mod has reached.

So a musket fires a very high velocity round - therefore, one shot kills for living mobs: Spiders, Cows, Sheep, Pigs Chickens and Creepers, however, it triggers a creepers explosion. Also with exception of the creeper, which drops nothing, all mobs give maximum drops due to clean kills

The undead, Skeletons and Zombies do not take any damage from it.

This way, it cannot be relied on as your only weapon due to it's ineffectiveness vs skeletons especially, it's use against creepers is a last resort.

Meanwhile, it's primary use is as your abattoir tool of choice.

Only problem is of course, by the time the mod gets to the point where a smooth bore is possible, your farms will most likely be fully automated and thus it is a luxury frivolous tool at best. Hehe, talked down my own idea!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Wait, so it's not very good at killing skeletons, zombies or creepers?

So you have a spider and enderman killer? What's the use of that?
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Gilberreke wrote:Wait, so it's not very good at killing skeletons, zombies or creepers?

So you have a spider and enderman killer? What's the use of that?
I believe I explained myself adequately, if you just want an uber leet weapon which one shots everything, go hit the minecraft forums, I reckon one mod comes out a day which does this. I'm personally more interested in balanced interesting gameplay which challenges and rewards skill.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Shengji wrote:I believe I explained myself adequately, if you just want an uber leet weapon which one shots everything, go hit the minecraft forums, I reckon one mod comes out a day which does this. I'm personally more interested in balanced interesting gameplay which challenges and rewards skill.
That's exactly my point, what's the use of an uber leet weapon that only one shots two enemies? It's still OP, but it's also useless
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

...Steve only just invented the composite bow.

[/thread]
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Stormweaver wrote:...Steve only just invented the composite bow.

[/thread]
In my game he got it about 2 years ago (in game years), and given the speed he went from sticks to steel... But I still agree this is not right for the current tech level, I just play too much!

Gilberreke wrote: That's exactly my point, what's the use of an uber leet weapon that only one shots two enemies? It's still OP, but it's also useless
Why are you arguing with me!

Neither of us want a weapon in the game which one shots everything.
Neither of us think my idea constitutes an uber Leet weapon.
We both agree it is overpowered compared to what is availiable now
Neither of us think my idea is any good for this mod.

Just leave me alone if you can't articulate yourself without turning it into an argument, be constructive or add value to the discussion - this is not the first time I've felt hounded by you.

EDIT: I didn't mean that to sound so rude, but I get to the point where if certain people are online, I just don't want to post and at the moment you are one of those.
InTheCloset

Post by InTheCloset »

Why do you guys think that this is beyond Steve's tech level?

Its not like he isn't fooling around with giant blocks of dynamite isn't it?

Also - I didn't mean this to be an ultra, mega, 133t weapon. I explicitly stated that I thought it will be adequate only as a very powerful BUT slow weapon - something like a sniper if you will, that will reward aquracy over button mashing.

I do agree that it isn't logical to have what the majority of you suggested, however it wasn't my idea either.

Anyway, the idea seems to have gotten completely downhill so it doesn't seem to be even worth it now.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

You know, if only for the damn ghasts I wouldn't mind a weapon that shoots in a straight line :P

But the musket is a bit out of flavour for BtW..
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

InTheCloset wrote:Why do you guys think that this is beyond Steve's tech level?

Its not like he isn't fooling around with giant blocks of dynamite isn't it?
Not like there is a precident in the real world for a culture figuring out powder-driven projectile weapons before they even had a true industrial...oh wait.

Ok, a REAL firearm is well beyond Steve?'s techlevel for sure, but Muskets, Blunderbuses, Mortars, Cannons, Rockets....all as grandly complex and difficult to create as a Tunnel made of some Durable material. Rockets, the crudest of projectile weapons, were made from leather and paper. He can already perform the cast-molding for both cauldrons and cast-molding is all you need to make a proper metal tube.

A rocket is really the best bet, though, even though he has all he needs to make other things.
SCIENCE!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Tekei wrote:...or a friggin helmet with a minigun on top driven by redstone power and shooting chicken eggs....
Sold! :)
M!C

Post by M!C »

FlowerChild wrote:
Tekei wrote:...or a friggin helmet with a minigun on top driven by redstone power and shooting chicken eggs....
Sold! :)
So much for keeping out of suggestions ... ;)
Necropolis

Post by Necropolis »

Any way we can get skeletons to form square formations?
M!C

Post by M!C »

Necropolis wrote:Any way we can get skeletons to form square formations?
How about a new mob focusing on tactical formations? I suppose it isn't an archetype but it would be FUN!
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

M!C wrote:
Necropolis wrote:Any way we can get skeletons to form square formations?
How about a new mob focusing on tactical formations? I suppose it isn't an archetype but it would be FUN!
Ooh! Ooh! I know!

We'll call it the "Wellington", and it'd be a well-dressed zombie wearing a funny hat. When he's around mobs act more logical: Skeletons all fire at the same time, mobs don't hurt each other, and creepers seek out user-placed blocks to destroy them. To end this coordinated onslaught, the player has to find the Wellington and knock off his hat. (Because hats are the source of all authority and tactical prowess, naturally.)
InTheCloset

Post by InTheCloset »

Ooh! Ooh! I know!

We'll call it the "Wellington", and it'd be a well-dressed zombie wearing a funny hat. When he's around mobs act more logical: Skeletons all fire at the same time, mobs don't hurt each other, and creepers seek out user-placed blocks to destroy them. To end this coordinated onslaught, the player has to find the Wellington and knock off his hat. (Because hats are the source of all authority and tactical prowess, naturally.)
Not sure if stupid

or genious