Odd behavior of mod blocks

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Mattaccount

Odd behavior of mod blocks

Post by Mattaccount »

After a hibachi accident burned my house to the ground I noticed something strange. Siding, moulding, corners, and axles are all fireproof (the windmill seems to be too but I figure that's because it's an entity and not a block). I'm wondering if this is intentional or not, because one would think that wooden axles and decorative pieces would indeed burn if exposed to it. Just wondering what the community thinks on this.
Stormweaver

Re: Odd behavior of mod blocks

Post by Stormweaver »

Mattaccount wrote:After a hibachi accident burned my house to the ground I noticed something strange. Siding, moulding, corners, and axles are all fireproof (the windmill seems to be too but I figure that's because it's an entity and not a block). I'm wondering if this is intentional or not, because one would think that wooden axles and decorative pieces would indeed burn if exposed to it. Just wondering what the community thinks on this.
For the moment, I belive it's because fire looks strange on smaller-than-a-block blocks.

Pretty sure I lost some axles to fire a while back though, I think they burn like fences.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Mattaccount

Post by Mattaccount »

Stormweaver wrote: Pretty sure I lost some axles to fire a while back though, I think they burn like fences.
When my house burned the axles were the only thing to survive, they just floated there showing the skeleton of my mechanical system. I don't know if they burn or not, but I'm willing to bet they don't.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Nope, they don't. Only solid blocks burn in MC, and I'm just following that convention.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I'm pretty sure wooden fences burn, and they're not 'solid'. Kinda. At least they do if there's a solid block below and next to them. If F is fence, B is any given block and O is air:

FO
BB

Nearby fire will spread to the top of the block below the air, and then fence will be destroyed. If I was at a PC, I'm quickly gets some screenshots.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Get back to me when you do test it. There's no point basing a discussion like this around conjecture.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Actually, no, you're right. There are only a handful of blocks that are flammable, and fences happen to be one. Here's the code that initializes it:

setBurnRate(Block.planks.blockID, 5, 20);
setBurnRate(Block.fence.blockID, 5, 20);
setBurnRate(Block.stairCompactPlanks.blockID, 5, 20);
setBurnRate(Block.wood.blockID, 5, 5);
setBurnRate(Block.leaves.blockID, 30, 60);
setBurnRate(Block.bookShelf.blockID, 30, 20);
setBurnRate(Block.tnt.blockID, 15, 100);
setBurnRate(Block.tallGrass.blockID, 60, 100);
setBurnRate(Block.cloth.blockID, 30, 60);
setBurnRate(Block.vine.blockID, 15, 100);

You'll notice wood slabs aren't in there though. I'm pretty iffy on making Axles flammable in all honesty. Let me think about it.

And yeah, to answer the original question above, it was intentional. Wood and stone slabs share the same block ID (hence why they're not flammable). I also didn't want axles to be susceptible to lightning strikes since it would be impossible to build a Wind Mill while protecting the axles from one.

EDIT: Yeah, upon further reflection, I think I made the right choice initially, and I'm not making Axles flammable. It would mean that your entire mechanical system could burn to the ground with fire spreading from axle to axle from a fire mishap, lightning induced or otherwise. Fuck that.

Having the occasional Hopper or Gear Box go up in flames in punishing enough. Really, this is quite a trivial topic to begin with, and I'm really not sure why it warrants a thread. At best, it probably warrants a bug-report to be closed as "by design".

EDIT 2: Not to mention if I were to change things now, and considering the amount of fire used in the mod, a bunch of people's creations would burn to the ground soon as they installed a new release.

Overall, just a hela-bad idea, and one that was posted in the wrong section. Post a suggestion, or file a bug report if you have an issue with the way something works in the mod, and use a descriptive title when you do so.

Thread closed.