Epic setting in next release :)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
BinoAl

Epic setting in next release :)

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote:I've also got something very...different coming with this release. I've made a pretty fundamental change to the way Minecraft plays (modifying vanilla behavior) that makes the game much harder for advanced users, but MUCH more interesting.

I'm building it in as an optional setting. It's so different because I think many of you are aware that I'm pretty dead-set against modifying vanilla behavior, but this idea was so damn interesting, so simple, and has such a huge impact on the way the game plays for technically-inclined players, that I couldn't resist.

Anyways, I'm very eager to find out whether people love it or hate it. I'm completely in love with it at present, as I love what it does to both gameplay and the mod's tech-tree, but am giving it a play-through before releasing to the public to make sure I have all the kinks worked out. Hopefully you guys can expect a release later today.
Any ideas on what this is? I can't come up with anything besides only being able to use contraptions and things to kill mobs, but that seems like a blunt, unimaginative change. Discuss. :)
Mason11987

Re: Epic setting in next release :)

Post by Mason11987 »

I am extremely excited, and wanted to say how pumped I am for this, but I couldn't in the thread.

I was just about to go with my combo-mod game and start building IC2 stuff, but I'm holding off on that until I can experience what FC has in store here.

I have no idea what it might be though.
Robilar

Post by Robilar »

I'm not going to lie, I'm a little giddy. I've always been a tech person, since I'm terrible at designing aesthetics, so Minecraft has kinda had no goal recently. The Utopia project has given me some fuel, and made me consider my designs, but it still comes down to me spending my time designing redstone around mod blocks (I prefer to learn it rather than rip off a design). FC has always had really solid ideas when it comes to Minecraft, so a gameplay change he loves sounds really exciting.
FlowerChild wrote:FUCK MAN! WHAT WE GOING TO DO NOW! WE'RE IN SOME REALLY PRETTY SHIT!!!

<dakka dakka>
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

It's probably something to do with redstone, since:
1. BTW is pretty focused on this part of the game.
2. "Advanced users" probably doesn't refer to people that only kill monsters, explore or build simple buildings/art.

My guess:
A replacement for redstone.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oh boy, maybe I shouldn't have said anything :)

Again guys, we're talking about a very SIMPLE change to vanilla gameplay here that I think just has very interesting ramifications. Don't get too pumped up :)
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Only because I am really really hoping, could animal spawning have gone back to 1.7.3 ways. (Yes, I am almost positive this is not the case, but still I can dream right?)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Hmm. I like the 'much harder for advanced users' bit. It would suggest some small change to how some forms of automation or redstone work - they're what I would call the domain of advanced users - that's just going to make things...harder I guess.

Though if we're predicting things, I'm going to say that items now float on water. I bet you a doughnut.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

FlowerChild wrote:Oh boy, maybe I shouldn't have said anything :)

Again guys, we're talking about a very SIMPLE change to vanilla gameplay here that I think just has very interesting ramifications. Don't get too pumped up :)
Too late!

What time zone are you in FC, if you don't mind me asking? I'm curious whether "hopefully later today" means the same thing for you as me. :P
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Mason11987 wrote:What time zone are you in FC, if you don't mind me asking? I'm curious whether "hopefully later today" means the same thing for you as me. :P
Well for me, most updates seem to happen around 3am. Good thing my sleep pattern was already unorthodox before finding btw >.<
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

My guess too is that it's something to do with either redstone or water physics.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Heh, Redstone circuits require mechanical power would be my guess!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
M!C

Post by M!C »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:My guess too is that it's something to do with either redstone or water physics.
Shengji wrote:Heh, Redstone circuits require mechanical power would be my guess!
You call that simple changes? Phew, I don't want to know what you guys consider a big change ... you'll have to come up with something BIG FC ... ;)
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

M!C wrote:
MoRmEnGiL wrote:My guess too is that it's something to do with either redstone or water physics.
Shengji wrote:Heh, Redstone circuits require mechanical power would be my guess!
You call that simple changes? Phew, I don't want to know what you guys consider a big change ... you'll have to come up with something BIG FC ... ;)
Well it is a simple enough idea and it would have huge effect on gameplay! We'll all be proven wrong soon enough!
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Shengji wrote: Well it is a simple enough idea and it would have huge effect on gameplay! We'll all be proven wrong soon enough!
While I'm convinced that it'll be something to do with how items interact with water, we have to keep in mind FC's statements about adding functionality to the BD due it's it's new spot in the tech tree - there's an aid to it being a rom, supposedly (not that we need anything beyond a shorter delay for placing blocks) - and this would suggest other things higher up might be getting tweaked too.

But whatever. This is FC we're talking about, so it's going to be mind-blowingly epic anyway.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Perhaps having water terraform the landscape?
For instance, it would slowly break through rock and dirt.

It IS simple, and it CAN be toggleable easily. It would make life harder but also more interesting.
The only problem I found is the connection to the tech tree...
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

Stormweaver wrote:
Mason11987 wrote:What time zone are you in FC, if you don't mind me asking? I'm curious whether "hopefully later today" means the same thing for you as me. :P
Well for me, most updates seem to happen around 3am. Good thing my sleep pattern was already unorthodox before finding btw >.<
*Is jealous*

OT: Hmm. Could it be something to do with things growing? Not sure how, exactly, maybe you need to rewater every so often, and there's a waterer/irrigator being added as a higher tech thing? That would explain the connection to the tech tree and it would modify the game more for people who automate stuff (as they couldn't automate farms so easily). On the other hand, does it count as a 'fundamental change' to vanilla behaviour? And would FC be getting so excited about limiting automation?

I'm probably miles out.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Maybe it's something VERY simple like the recipe for a workbench is 3x3....That would be sooooo fun ;)
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

He DID say it modifies vanilla behavior, so it's not redstone requiring mechanical power... Hm. I'm pretty stumped. He said it's fundamental, so it won't be something added on like water dissolving dirt, it will probably be a core aspect tweak...
FlowerChild wrote:Don't get too pumped up :)
Hey now, watching us run with any little hint of a hint has gotta be fun for you :p

EDIT: Think of the parts in any automation:
Redstone clock.
Circuitry leading to components, i.e. block dispenser.
Components.
Farmable Item.
Water flows for collection.
Hoppers.

Redstone clock, circuitry, farmable items, and water physics are all modifiable vMC components. So, my guess is a core redstone change, farming change, or water physics change. Hmm... I'm having a total brainfart. Lmao
Last edited by BinoAl on Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

itamarcu wrote:Perhaps having water terraform the landscape?
For instance, it would slowly break through rock and dirt.
Have you any idea how much lag that would cause ?
The game having to calculate an ocean seeping its way all the way down to bedrock ?
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

I am thinking that wood only gives you one wood plank, think how simple that would be, but yet so game changing.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

walker_boh_65 wrote:I am thinking that wood only gives you one wood plank, think how simple that would be, but yet so game changing.
Nah, he said it's a fundamental change, like an engine type thing (I assume, anyway). It won't be as superficial as that, I'm starting to think it might be water physics changes
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Maybe water won't push items :p

That would make me cry!
FarseerWraith07

Post by FarseerWraith07 »

Perhaps he went the way of another mod and made water where it could run out... and you would have to use mechanical power to pump it around...

If he did that, my head would truly explode due to the awesomeness.
Last edited by FarseerWraith07 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

Shengji wrote:Maybe water won't push items :p

That would make me cry!
I doubt it, even if something else replaces it. Remembering Battosay's interview of FC, and what FC had to say about removing or obseleting existing 'systems' (ie a bad idea), it's far more likely that if he did, he'd add an equivalent functionality later on in the tech tree (eg crafting 'current' water with an anvil). As the tech tree isn't too massive yet, I don't think it would be as big a change as was described (just a case of waiting a bit to build automated stuff until you reach the appropriate stage). On the other hand, a change to water physics would make sense. Presumably it's a nerf of some sort, if a fun one, as it makes things 'harder'.

Perhaps something else can be used for power, equivalent to redstone and interchangable with it?

Maybe he was being sarcastic and it's something simple like double doors opening on one redstone signal :) That would be rather useful, actually.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I'm guessing it's a simple tweak that provides you extra incentive to automate things versus doing them by hand.

I'm going to guess it's a simple vMC action depleting the hunger bar quickly.

Imagine if you would deplete the hunger bar a lot during tool use, you'd have to rely more and more on letting machines do the work for you or spend hours doing menial tasks and feeding yourself constantly.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx