BTW Functional Builds

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Mason11987

BTW Functional Builds

Post by Mason11987 »

Just thought I'd set up a place for us to display our functional creations (as opposed to aesthetic ones). I'll start by listing the two things I build to serve automation needs that I didn't fine shown anywhere else:

My automated cobblestone harvester (easy to make smoothstone with the new crucible change as well)
Spoiler
Show

What we have here is two lava source blocks, two block dispensers pointing down with redstone over them, and two water source blocks. there is also two blocks of air below the block dispenser, so water flows into it, and not out of the system.

This means water and lava will mean directly under the BD, making cobble.

And the BD are hooked up to a turntable. This isn't the optimal delay, but it works consistently, and you make plenty of cobble this way, and it's extendable if you need a lot more cobble.
My automated urn maker
Spoiler
Show

A circle of 44 repeaters (21 on each long side, 1 on each short side) set on longest delay, that will repeat indefinitely once the button is pressed

Two BD set up around a turntable in a very specific way, the left three repeaters are full delay, the right one is least delay.

You place clay blocks in the left one, then press the button and as fast as they can be made urns get sucked into the right BD.

There are ways to simplify this, but this looks simplest in pictures and it took me a while to make this so maybe it will help someone else.
Stormweaver

Re: BTW Functional Builds

Post by Stormweaver »

Well, I was getting bored of normal cobble genertors, so I've been building variations on this lately:
Spoiler
Show
Sometimes with proper clocks, sometimes with lolrepeater ones. I do like this design though.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Stormweaver wrote:Well, I was getting bored of normal cobble genertors, so I've been building variations on this lately:
Spoiler
Show
Sometimes with proper clocks, sometimes with lolrepeater ones. I do like this design though.
Oh wow, nice design, I couldn't figure out a good way of making easy access to the BDs, but your way should even allow buildcraft pipes to move things out of that, well done. I'll be copying this idea later on perhaps.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Mason11987 wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:Well, I was getting bored of normal cobble genertors, so I've been building variations on this lately:
Spoiler
Show
Oh wow, nice design, I couldn't figure out a good way of making easy access to the BDs, but your way should even allow buildcraft pipes to move things out of that, well done. I'll be copying this idea later on perhaps.
Go for it, it's simple enough to make. Just do a 3x3 square where the middle goes, leave a one-block wide ring around it, then put the wall/BDs around that. Stick lava on the top, water in the corners and BAM (yes, it has to be in caps) it's done.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

I like the auto urn machine, mabye I could implement it into my hellforge...
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Husbag3 wrote:I like the auto urn machine, mabye I could implement it into my hellforge...
I just modified it by surrounding the turntable on most sides with dirt/cobble, so when the next clayblock gets placed all the clay pieces are pushed off to a specific side, where they fall into the hopper. Now no wasted materials when I want to afk while making urns.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

This is my auto-tree harvester. It runs automatically, but can also be used with bonemeal for when I eventually find that skeleton spawner.
Spoiler
Show
This is the basic set up, sapling in front of five BD, with a BD on the side, and a DB on the other side one block up.

When the sapling grows, the detector block becomes powered, feeding into an AND gate:
Spoiler
Show
which takes the input from the DB, and also from a simple clock.

This will send a signal on, and then off (because of the clock) to the five BDs, which will suck up all the logs, it's done by sending a signal directly into the bottom, 3rd, and 5th BD, which indirectly powers the 4th and 2nd as well. That same signal is inverted, and delayed (with two full delay repeaters) to the side BD. Which means once the logs are all sucked up, a small time after the side BD is unpowered, then powered again, dropping another sapling.

I'd love to be able to harvest the saplings easily, but this is still pretty good.

Unfortunately it looks like this might not work with pine trees, so no easy farming of those for tanning, but this should work, if only I can get some bonemeal to speed it up drastically.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Mason11987 wrote:Unfortunately it looks like this might not work with pine trees, so no easy farming of those for tanning, but this should work, if only I can get some bonemeal to speed it up drastically.
For pine trees (or birch) since they need a larger space around them to grow, you really have to use a piston tree harvester (I believe pioneered by finite8, there are several designs in that thread though), these are a lot bigger and trickier with timing, but very satisfying to build, and since you can make them with very little blocking the tree, the trees grow more often, so you get higher yields too.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

gftweek wrote:
Mason11987 wrote:Unfortunately it looks like this might not work with pine trees, so no easy farming of those for tanning, but this should work, if only I can get some bonemeal to speed it up drastically.
For pine trees (or birch) since they need a larger space around them to grow, you really have to use a piston tree harvester (I believe pioneered by finite8, there are several designs in that thread though), these are a lot bigger and trickier with timing, but very satisfying to build, and since you can make them with very little blocking the tree, the trees grow more often, so you get higher yields too.
I'll post pics of my (1.7.3) piston tree farm tommorow. Shame I got bored of that world really, it was the first time I actually finished building one without getting bored >.<
DragonFire2876

Post by DragonFire2876 »

going back to cobblestone generators i worked out this idea before and i havent had anything faster
[youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip5r2ctlzP4 [/youtube]
i was useing it for EE at the time but you could use it for any amount of cobblestone generation you want
all procrastinators unite...............................tomorrow
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

DragonFire2876 wrote:going back to cobblestone generators i worked out this idea before and i havent had anything faster
i was useing it for EE at the time but you could use it for any amount of cobblestone generation you want
one cobble/BD every 4 seconds is slow though :/ hook up a monostable to the output of your turntable with a 0.3 second output, and set the turntable to pulse once per second - sometimes it doesn't synch up right away, but 1 cobble/BD per second is definately possible.

The layout is nice though.
DragonFire2876

Post by DragonFire2876 »

Stormweaver wrote:
DragonFire2876 wrote:going back to cobblestone generators i worked out this idea before and i havent had anything faster
one cobble/BD every 4 seconds is slow though :/ hook up a monostable to the output of your turntable with a 0.3 second output, and set the turntable to pulse once per second - sometimes it doesn't synch up right away, but 1 cobble/BD per second is definately possible.

The layout is nice though.
thanks
all procrastinators unite...............................tomorrow
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Mason11987 wrote: which takes the input from the DB, and also from a simple clock.

Why the clock? Why not simply use a monostable?

EDIT: Sorry about the huge quote :/
Last edited by MoRmEnGiL on Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Urian

Post by Urian »

Just a random thought that popped into my sleep-addled brain pre-coffee: with grenade potions and dispensers you might be able to make a tower defense game if you can get the mobs to move correctly (water might work but I think slow potions would be useless then).
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Urian wrote:Just a random thought that popped into my sleep-addled brain pre-coffee: with grenade potions and dispensers you might be able to make a tower defense game if you can get the mobs to move correctly (water might work but I think slow potions would be useless then).
You know, I've been waiting for half a year or more for a TD mod. With the recent additions to mc we need less and less modded elements,hehe.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Alexia

Post by Alexia »

Cab buildcraft pipes even extract items from the BD inventory?
I've tried, doesn't seem to work?
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Yep, it works just fine.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Alexia

Post by Alexia »

jorgebonafe wrote:Yep, it works just fine.
Does it have to be on a particular surface of the block dispenser or special pipe?
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

You have to use wooden pipe, and power the woden pipe with an engine as usual. About the surface, I honestly don't remember, and I don't have that world anymore, but I know for a fact that it works, I made a simple cobble generator with it.... try it on each one, you have only three possibilities anyway :P
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.