Project Utopia: An unusual attempt at the Utopia Challenge

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
pi4t

Project Utopia: An unusual attempt at the Utopia Challenge

Post by pi4t »

I joined this forum very recently, and discovered the Utopia Challenge. Deciding that it might be a fun thing to do, as well as getting me more familiar with BTW, I decided to try it and keep a log. How long this will go on, I don't know, as I have a habit of starting things and not finishing them. I have a few ideas about what I can do.

The mods I have installed are: BTW (obviously), Shelves, Display cases (including the museum version), Armour Stand, Steve's Carts (the last four exist only because they happen to be in my mods folder, but they might be useful), and Zombe's item mod (all features activated except for farmland, sponges, mob spawners and item dump to log).

My idea with this is to make a town, but not just any old town. No, this town will be floating in the sea! Hopefully, I'll be able to use the Zeppelin mod later to sail it around, but I don't mind too much if I have to use my imagination.

Episode 1: A Humble Start

Anyway, this is the first sight that greets me when I spawn:
Spoiler
Show
That water that generated immediately after this screenshot turns out to be a river, and as I obviously want to reach the sea, I follow it. Pausing only to grab some wood (leaving a floating tree), I set off East.

While exploring, I notice this:
Spoiler
Show
It looks like Notch needs to make some revisions to his ravine code...

I reach the sea just before nightfall. I'd like to reach a desert biome on the coast, though. My first task is shelter. Hmm...what to do, what to do?
Spoiler
Show
Aah, the good old 'bury yourself underground' solution... Don't worry, I can make things which look slightly better than this.

Anyway, this is the end of my first day, and as I have to go now, it'll be the end of this post too. I won't be making a post for every day, probably, only for important events like finishing a construction.
Last edited by pi4t on Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Katalliaan

Re: Project Utopia: An unusual attempt at the Utopia Challen

Post by Katalliaan »

Your second picture is just an empty spoiler tag, just FYI.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Humble beginnings are good beginnings :p

I look forward to seeing how you manage the challenge of building out to sea; I've never been one for water myself.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

Oops. My connection's been really laggy and slow recently, and I guess it broke and I forgot to reupload. I had to rescue the file from the recycle bin, but it's uploaded now. It doesn't show the feature off as well as I'd hoped, though.

Episode 2: A Permanent 'House'

In the morning, I continued my exploration by turning right along the coast. After a fairly short distance, I came upon some pretty amazing architecture.
Spoiler
Show
As you can see from the second two screenshots, I decided to make my home here until I can build the city. Hopefully I can get it looking good. I'll probably use stone bricks, as I like the texture and won't get much of a chance to use them on board.

(At this point, I'm also turning my brightness up to 50%, for screenshotting purposes. I may misjudge the amount of light present for a while).

I finish barricading an area of the cavey thing off just as the sun begins setting.
Spoiler
Show
In the morning, the first order of business is lighting the surrounding area a bit, and gathering cobblestone to make my floor and walls. Fortunately, I have a friendly local mountain formation. I have a feeling it'll be feeling a little less friendly after I've taken chunks out of it...

It's hard work, but by the end of the day I've burned through the rest of my wooden pick and an entire stone pick, and am the proud owner of just over two stacks of cobble! I immediately use a stack to make furnaces.
Spoiler
Show
And finally, just before night, a view from the mountain my house is built under. Notice that the deeper sea is quite a distance away. I hope that won't be too much of a problem, though I may have to live in the city while building.
Spoiler
Show
And considering it's a quarter to 11 here in England right now, I'm going to wrap it up here for tonight. Hope you've enjoyed.
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

Episode 3: Make a Cave a Home

Today, I spent most of my time making my walled off area with a bed in into a house to be proud of, or at least live in.

While gathering cobble, I ran across both brown mushrooms, and pumpkins. Go cheap food!
Spoiler
Show
Finally I finished the basic layout of the house, several in game days later.
Spoiler
Show
Now all I need to do is the extra stuff: A couple of bridges, some windows and paintings...
Spoiler
Show
And a nice dock:
Spoiler
Show
So, that's the day's work. I've not made much progress on the actual challenge, but I've made my house much more...like a house. Expect more mod items tomorrow.
Last edited by pi4t on Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

A flying utopia! That is very unique. I like the idea, but I never would have thought of it myself. Now I may have to make something similar.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

danielngtiger wrote:A flying utopia! That is very unique. I like the idea, but I never would have thought of it myself. Now I may have to make something similar.
Not flying, floating in the water. Like a glorified boat. I considered making it flying, but decided that that was too obvious, and that making it sea-based would actually be more interesting and original. Feel free to make a flying one, though :)

I was inspired by the Mortal Engines series* by Philip Reeve, in particular Infernal Devices. It's a very good series that I highly recommend reading. I have no intention of attaching jaws to my utopia, though...

*called Hungry City in the USA, I believe
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Before you use them: Those docks will kill you. There's a bug, currently, where landing on half-slabs with a boat does ridiculous fall damage for no apparent reason.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

That's odd. I put those boats into the dock by placing them in the water and sailing them in. Hang on, I'll test.

*goes for a test sail*

I slowed down to almost nothing, and took half a heart of damage. The bug definitely exists, but it seems to be related to how fast you're moving. As I can't move very fast in these docks anyway (poor design mostly), and always try to have a nearly full foodbar, it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for warning me, though.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Yeah, I discovered it after a few Hardcore rage posts on reddit/r/Minecraft turned up when people made docks like this and were insta-killed upon docking despite full health and armour haha. Just figured it was worth noting.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

Episode 4: Farming, Mining and Grinding

My first task for today is to get some hemp seeds.
Spoiler
Show
Now to set up a farm, near my back door I think.

At this point, I realised that I didn't have any iron for a bucket. Oops. Time to dig a mineshaft...

Yes, I know the challenge rules state no buckets, but as I'm not using BC for other methods of moving water, and my town is going to be IN the water, it really doesn't make sense that they can't take a bucketful out.

The mineshaft ended in a cave. I lit up as much as I could with my 64 torches, got lost, found red mushrooms, killed an enderman, and found a surface entrance near my home.
Spoiler
Show
I also got some iron, so can finally make my hemp farm!
Spoiler
Show
And now for a rather redundant wheat farm right next door. It'll probably be useful if a) I need a lot of easily carried food for making Utopia, b) I decide I want a wheat farm on board, or c) Notch nerfs giant mushrooms.
Spoiler
Show
And now, just to fully enter tier one, I make the hand crank and millstone.
Spoiler
Show
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

Well, this is concerning. I decided to explore the swampy river area, to see if I could find where it reached the sea. After several days' walking/sailing, I found myself back where I started. At this point I cheated and used Cartograph, which has shown that there isn't any proper sea around at all. Not sure what I'm going to do about that, just walk and hope I stumble across some?
Spoiler
Show
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

Double post. I promise to do so only when one (or both) is an update.

Episode 5: Building up

So on my trip along the river, I found cactus, so I didn't completely waste my time. I need to get a farm going for them and sugar cane, but haven't bothered yet.
Spoiler
Show
Not much happened for a while. I carried on farming, extended the farm, ground up hemp and wheat, made an underground base in the cave, extended the farm, made a nether portal and got some netherrack, extended the farm, made a cauldron, realised I had enough hemp fibres for a windmill...

And here I am, entering tier 2!

My main room. Note the new cauldron, and the moved-and-definitely-not-rebuilt-after-incineration chair.
Spoiler
Show

My workshop, with its millstone and mineshaft. Not much changed here.
Spoiler
Show
Next come my farms, containing a much larger hemp farm, a nearly complete wheat farm, and a new pumpkin patch. If I ever get melon seeds, the pumpkins will have to share.
Spoiler
Show
My tree farm, with a view of my main bridge through the trees. I now have all three types of tree.
Spoiler
Show
The underground base, which makes me feel a lot safer coming down the ladders.
Spoiler
Show
And finally, my incomplete nether construction, included for completeness.
Spoiler
Show
Tomorrow, I'll probably be trying to find some sea and starting actually building the town!
Last edited by pi4t on Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

Episode 6: Dungeons are like buses*

*well, nearly

As it happened, I spent most of the day getting my windmill set up. I decided to build it off a nearby mountain, turning a convenient floating island into the frame. Before I could get started, however, I knew I'd need lots of stone bricks. So I went to my workshop...
Spoiler
Show
The bottom right furnace is actually smelting a full stack of wood into charcoal to fuel the other furnaces, each of which is smelting a stack of cobble. As I'd already smelted about two stacks, that gives you an idea of how many bricks I made. This wasn't just for the windmill, by the way, I had a number of other unfinished projects that were waiting for me to get stone bricks for, and which I finished today.

While building the windmill, though, I noticed something strange in the corner of the lake.
Spoiler
Show
A dungeon! I should add here that I'd been worried about seeing any dungeons at all, considering I've seen, what, three randomly generated ones in all my playing (since 1.2). I decided to come back later, as I didn't have many torches at the time.

Here's the (almost) finished windmill. I later changed the sails to have grey dye, and rearranged the building slightly, but it stayed mostly the same.
Spoiler
Show
But look at what I found in the dungeon!
Spoiler
Show
Now, everything was going smoothly, and as I did promise to look for some sea, I set off South. Only about a minute away, I came across a ravine, with an underground mine at the bottom. That should be useful for resources later on.
Spoiler
Show
About half a day from there, I saw that there was a wide expanse of water generating in front of me. I ran forward to investigate, and suddenly, wham! I was facing mossy cobble and a skeleton was shooting me!
Spoiler
Show
Yes, I'd found another dungeon! (And yes, I did stop to hide my gui and take a screenshot while being attacked by a skeleton. The lengths I go for you guys...)

Once I'd scrambled out, the area of water turned out to be either a sea or a very large series of lakes. Although I'd have preferred it to be wider, I decided that this would be a perfectly good area to start building Utopia. I'll just have to make several decks. (I may have to install a mod to increase the skybox to allow enough room, we'll have to see). The presence of a nearby village seemed to confirm my decision.
Spoiler
Show
After ringing some of the wheat fields in the village with dirt to prevent trampling, I began to build. The first feature was a temporary bridge, which I'll remove when I've finished building.
Spoiler
Show
Now I built my first house, a bit square, but there's not going to be much rain to run off the roof when it's got other decks over it. I'll use a sticky piston in the corner of the room for waste disposal, when I can make one.
Spoiler
Show
Now, though, I decided that I should head back home and progress up the tech tree a bit before continuing to build. Just coming into view of the cave where my docks are in this picture...
Spoiler
Show
I then did those projects with stone brick I mentioned earlier, and nipped over to the nether to make progress on my cobble 'house' there. I added some doors, explored the tunnels I'd spawned in. Two were dead ends, the third extended quite a way, had a few junctions, and then
Spoiler
Show
Which is where I'll leave it. Sorry if this was a bit incoherent, I'm writing this far too late and am half asleep. Next time, I plan to make a saw (most of the stuff's already in place), hook it up to the windmill alongside the millstone, and go from there.
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

pi4t wrote:
danielngtiger wrote:A flying utopia! That is very unique. I like the idea, but I never would have thought of it myself. Now I may have to make something similar.
Not flying, floating in the water. Like a glorified boat. I considered making it flying, but decided that that was too obvious, and that making it sea-based would actually be more interesting and original. Feel free to make a flying one, though :)

I was inspired by the Mortal Engines series* by Philip Reeve, in particular Infernal Devices. It's a very good series that I highly recommend reading. I have no intention of attaching jaws to my utopia, though...

*called Hungry City in the USA, I believe
I see. It is just that I think of creating airships with the Zeppelin mod, but of course that is not the only thing possible.

I'll have to try that book. I've heard good things about it, and I am always looking for something to read, considering the speed at which I go through books.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

Episode 7: Tech Tree Progression

My first action was to craft myself a saw, and install it. I quickly made a couple of hoppers, too, and installed them with water under the millstone.
Spoiler
Show
I wanted to find some to test it with, and noticed in the list of things the millstone could grind was sugar cane into sugar. I wondered if it gave better returns (never having done it before), and that led me to set up my long overdue sugar cane farm and (automated) cactus farm.
Spoiler
Show
Having verified that it didn't give more, I began to think about water wheels for convenience. But I didn't have any slimeballs. I concluded that it would be easier to progress along to hibachis and bellows, and make glue than hunt for slimes.

So, I went to the nether. I had plenty of netherrack, but no soul sand, so I had to get that. After an epic pingpong style battle with a ghast (punch back its fireballs and hope to hit), I finally killed it when it got in range of my stone sword. Then I began to slowly supervise the creation of hellfire dust, switching the soul sand every so often.

Unfortunately I, erm, lost count.
Spoiler
Show
To my dismay my cuddly new friend went and despawned before I could say hello properly. Never mind. I'd finally got enough hellfire for 9 hibachis.

It was a pity that I'd run out of redstone. While mining it, I died and my iron pick fell into lava, too. Ah well, I found that the cave system my mine's in is mostly another ravine.
Spoiler
Show
It took a while to sort out the wiring and make a bellows. Having done it, though, I came across a problem. My windmill was miles away, and it would have taken maybe 80 gear boxes to bring power to my cauldron. Nor was there any more space in the room by the windmill. I needed another solution.
Spoiler
Show
Ok, so my solution consisted of tearing apart both my hibachis and my windmill area, and then standing there flicking a lever, but it worked.
Spoiler
Show
I decided to place the water mill to be powered by a convenient waterfall outside my house. (I forgot to take a screenshot, so this was taken at the end of this update, but you can see the mill's position still).

Now I needed a large room to set up all the mechanical stuff in easily. For this, of course, I'd need lots of stone bricks. While I was waiting for them to smelt, I began digging the chamber out.
Spoiler
Show
Now it was time for the axles and gearboxes. Ok, it's ugly, but it does what it's meant to do.
Spoiler
Show
As for the bellows, I needed even more redstone, but here we are. Two levers in my main room to control the fire and the bellows, a chain of mechanical power from my mechanical room (I think I'll call it the 'factory' from now on) and this is the completed wiring.
Spoiler
Show
I seem to be picking up speed on the tech tree. It's nice to have mechanical power in my base, and not have to go up to the windmill whenever I want to do something with it.
Last edited by pi4t on Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

There don't appear to be any images under the tags in this last post
Better is the enemy of Good
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

Oops. I typed up the post, planning to add the images afterwards, and forgot to upload them! I'll add them in when they finish uploading.

EDIT: Pictures are uploaded, but it took so long to do anything. I think I'm going to have to stop this, at least until my connection clears itself up a bit. Sorry everyone!
Blazara

Post by Blazara »

I love the Philip Reeve series too! A fantastic set of books. Have you read "Fever Crumb" That gives ALOT of insight into the mobile cities thing. Great Utopia attempt too! If BTW was Smp, I would ask if anyone wanted to do one together or as a group. But, such as life :P
Blazara wrote: I, am a BETTERTHANwolfaboo.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Blazara wrote:I love the Philip Reeve series too! A fantastic set of books. Have you read "Fever Crumb" That gives ALOT of insight into the mobile cities thing. Great Utopia attempt too! If BTW was Smp, I would ask if anyone wanted to do one together or as a group. But, such as life :P
Once it is, I'm sure we will.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

Blazara wrote:I love the Philip Reeve series too! A fantastic set of books. Have you read "Fever Crumb" That gives ALOT of insight into the mobile cities thing. Great Utopia attempt too! If BTW was Smp, I would ask if anyone wanted to do one together or as a group. But, such as life :P
Yes, and am currently rereading A Web of Air, prior to reading Scrivener's Moon for the first time.
Blazara

Post by Blazara »

I'll have to look into that!
Blazara wrote: I, am a BETTERTHANwolfaboo.