Trying to get my hemp automatically.

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
teundewacht

Trying to get my hemp automatically.

Post by teundewacht »

So I'm trying to get my hemp in hoppers, and then into minecarts to go to my house.
How do I make this happen?
Katalliaan

Re: Trying to get my hemp automatically.

Post by Katalliaan »

Battosay's got a good tutorial on a hemp farm, although it doesn't include putting it in minecarts and sending it out.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Urian

Post by Urian »

Here's a tutorial on an automated hemp/reed farm (although you need light blocks instead of glowstone now)
Spoiler
Show
After that:
-Have the drops collect in a hopper and place a storage minecart under it.
-Hook up the hopper to a mechanical power source but use redstone to disable a gearbox so the hopper stores items.
-When a hopper fills completely it will send a redstone signal, use this signal via an inverter to enable the mechanical power to the hopper.
--Use one delayer to set how many items will be emptied.
--Use another delayer to send the minecart away after the first delayer has finished (plus a second to make sure the hopper is back to storing)
-Have another minecart park under the hopper.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

The problem is, getting the correct timing with no mods other than BtW will probably take an acre of land :P
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Urian

Post by Urian »

Nah, that's what turntables are for. Making delayers and fine tuning them isn't that hard and can be done in a pretty compact fashion. If you use a counter then you can loop your signal through the delay circuitry several times before sending it onwards.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Since I'm new to BtW, I don't have much experience with complex redstone timing using BtW mechanisms. Care to elaborate?
War..
War never changes.

Urian

Post by Urian »

On what part? Delayers are basically repeaters, although now that I think of it I believe having an rs-nor latch hooked up to activate a turntable should also work. A counter is a block dispenser that contains both redstone conducting and non-conducting materials and a redstone wire that activates when a conductive material is placed (e.g. boats in 5 slots and cobblestone in 1 slot would mean that every 6th time the BD receives power it places a block that activates the next circuitry). There is at least one topic solely about redstone circuits you can build with BTW, it's somewhere on this forum :p
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

I have always used a bio clock. - detector block in front of sugercane activates the harvest for the row of hemp. With the grow time of cane you will fire more times than if you watch hemp, but my hemp lines never seem to grow at the same rate so firing off the grow cycle doesn't bother me.

Since the Detector has been move to the age of steel I would use a 5 minute dispenser clock for early gameplay. Video isn't that compact but lays out the concept behind it and is easy to follow. Set the output as a pulse and pistons will fire/retract every 5 minutes. You will have to refill it but who doesn't have extra stone/dirt?
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
Urian

Post by Urian »

I think he meant the timer for loading the minecart :) The reed clock is used in the vid I linked though.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Urian wrote:On what part? Delayers are basically repeaters, although now that I think of it I believe having an rs-nor latch hooked up to activate a turntable should also work. A counter is a block dispenser that contains both redstone conducting and non-conducting materials and a redstone wire that activates when a conductive material is placed (e.g. boats in 5 slots and cobblestone in 1 slot would mean that every 6th time the BD receives power it places a block that activates the next circuitry). There is at least one topic solely about redstone circuits you can build with BTW, it's somewhere on this forum :p
ARG!!!! I can't believe this is the first I've heard about the BD being used as a 9-bit ROM. That makes too much sense :)

Damn, there's a few things I can probably do to facilitate its use in that regard. Oh well, a few more items for my todo list ;)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

FlowerChild wrote:ARG!!!! I can't believe this is the first I've heard about the BD being used as a 9-bit ROM. That makes too much sense :)
Really? One of Battosay's videos showing the BD shows that quite well in practice...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote:Really? One of Battosay's videos showing the BD shows that quite well in practice...
Haven't seen it. I really can't follow everything with regards to the mod man. There's just too much out there for me to have a life if I do :)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

jorgebonafe wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:ARG!!!! I can't believe this is the first I've heard about the BD being used as a 9-bit ROM. That makes too much sense :)
Really? One of Battosay's videos showing the BD shows that quite well in practice...
Not to mention around the time 'It was discovered' - should I say, made public - there were 3-4 threads actively discussing it's uses in that regard.

The BD is possibly the best block in minecraft. Literally.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

FlowerChild wrote:
jorgebonafe wrote:Really? One of Battosay's videos showing the BD shows that quite well in practice...
Haven't seen it. I really can't follow everything with regards to the mod man. There's just too much out there for me to have a life if I do :)
Of course, I understand that. I was just surprised, considering its on the wiki page. But now that I think about that, you are not the only one editing the wiki, so it makes sence...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote: Damn, there's a few things I can probably do to facilitate its use in that regard. Oh well, a few more items for my todo list ;)
This excites me. In various, some mildly awkward, ways.
Urian

Post by Urian »

You people are focusing on the wrong part of FC's comment :p This is what you should pay attention to:
FlowerChild wrote:Damn, there's a few things I can probably do to facilitate its use in that regard. Oh well, a few more items for my todo list ;)
Yay for more redstone uses!
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Urian wrote:You people are focusing on the wrong part of FC's comment :p This is what you should pay attention to:
FlowerChild wrote:Damn, there's a few things I can probably do to facilitate its use in that regard. Oh well, a few more items for my todo list ;)
Yay for more redstone uses!
Honestly, the best improvement I can think of for it (after the particle reduction in the last update(s) - that worked like a charm) would be a reduction in the time delay placing a block, so more can be used reliably in series on faster clocks. I've gotton used to using n+m counters now, but having a stable nm counter would be amazing.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Urian wrote:Yay for more redstone uses!
Yeah, the next few updates should actually see a lot of additions for redstone users. Now that I've moved the powerful redstone elements up high in the tech-tree I'm much more comfortable incorporating some additional functionality :)
Stormweaver wrote:Honestly, the best improvement I can think of for it (after the particle reduction in the last update(s) - that worked like a charm) would be a reduction in the time delay placing a block, so more can be used reliably in series on faster clocks. I've gotton used to using n+m counters now, but having a stable nm counter would be amazing.
Very glad to hear the particle thing worked out. It was a bit of a shot in the dark considering I couldn't replicate the problem on my system, but I had a feeling it might do it :)
jorgebonafe wrote: Of course, I understand that. I was just surprised, considering its on the wiki page. But now that I think about that, you are not the only one editing the wiki, so it makes sence...
Actually, I hardly ever visit the wiki, let alone edit it. Considering I wrote the mod, it's rare that I look up information with regards to it ;)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Urian wrote:On what part? Delayers are basically repeaters, although now that I think of it I believe having an rs-nor latch hooked up to activate a turntable should also work. A counter is a block dispenser that contains both redstone conducting and non-conducting materials and a redstone wire that activates when a conductive material is placed (e.g. boats in 5 slots and cobblestone in 1 slot would mean that every 6th time the BD receives power it places a block that activates the next circuitry). There is at least one topic solely about redstone circuits you can build with BTW, it's somewhere on this forum :p

Oooh, now I got it! Putting all these together makes complex timing mechanisms so much easier!

Does a BD on a turntable with a clock feeding it work like I think it does? (ie a rotating counter)

I have to agree on the BD being one of the best things ever in MC! Automating the cobblestone generator was a big relief for me! I need tons of cobble to flatten out the bottom of an ocean (1.7 ocean, I'm not insane :P) to be 4 deep.. Don't ask -_-
War..
War never changes.

OneTripleZero

Post by OneTripleZero »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:I have to agree on the BD being one of the best things ever in MC! Automating the cobblestone generator was a big relief for me!
Totally. I have no idea why I didn't look into this until now, but once I get a bit more Redstone my cobble generator will be running full bore. Exactly what I need to build the fortress I've got brewing in my mind.
Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for Humanity - Horace Mann