Any tips on moulding/panel/corner placement?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
MoRmEnGiL

Any tips on moulding/panel/corner placement?

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Topic title sums it up. I'm trying to figure out the placement rules of these blocks, but so far I have failed to come to any solid conclusions.

Has anyone got the science behind it figured out?
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Stormweaver

Re: Any tips on moulding/panel/corner placement?

Post by Stormweaver »

It's..complex. In general, the mouldings and corners try to fit into the edge/corner adjacent to the most blocks (which makes stairs easier)

I think FC said something about tiding that system up at some point, so we might be getting a more friendly version one day.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Simone

Post by Simone »

RedPower has a great system for paneling and such.
At precent its broken in RedPower2, but in minecraft 1.7.3 you had a preview function that showed where the block would be placed.

Eloraam might give some hints at how such a system might be done.
Or just copy it, if she agrees. But i don't think Flower Child wan't some foreign code in his mod. Would lead to all sorts of problems further down the line i imagine.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Nope, unlike others, FC is not the kind of person that take ideas from others to put it in his mod ...
As for your questions : aim the floor, it'll stick to the floor, aim a wall ... to the wall ! ^^
The placement depends of the blocks surrounding the soon-to-be-placed moulding/corner. In there's none around, it's random. If there's only one block surrounding it, it'll choose its orientation to be next to it.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Battosay wrote: aim the floor, it'll stick to the floor, aim a wall ... to the wall ! ^^
The placement depends of the blocks surrounding the soon-to-be-placed moulding/corner. In there's none around, it's random. If there's only one block surrounding it, it'll choose its orientation to be next to it.
Yeah that much I've already figured out. But what if you, for e.g., want to make a 2x2 pillar up from moulding, so that all 4 pieces of each layer stick together in the middle of the 2x2 space facing up?

Crude ascii top down view representation:

OO OO
OM MO

OM MO
OO OO
War..
War never changes.

Battosay

Post by Battosay »

That's a pain in the ass ^^
I'd place a tower of dirt first

OO OO
OD -O

O- DO
OO OO

Then place the moulding on the -
Then remove the dirt, and place the mouldings where the dirt was.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Battosay wrote:Nope, unlike others, FC is not the kind of person that take ideas from others to put it in his mod...
Well, its not like a preview is a new idea, you know.... RP is not the only one that has it too. Just saying
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Actually, a marker where the moulding should be placed WOULD be nice...
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Battosay wrote:Nope, unlike others, FC is not the kind of person that take ideas from others to put it in his mod ...
FC doesn't strike me as the sort of person who wouldn't put something in his mod just because it's in someone else's either, but I don't know him as well as you though!

That's not a positive opinion on the idea though, I personally feel that an intuitive automatic placement would be a slicker, all round better implementation. Given the ease of creating "scaffolding" with dirt, I don't think playing with this would really be a valuable addition - just my opinion though :)
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Battosay wrote:That's a pain in the ass ^^

OO OO
OD -O

O- DO
OO OO

That's what I had in mind too. But it is a pain, yeah. The reason I want to do this particular thing in case anyone wonders, is that
Spoiler
Show
This

Looks much better than this

:P
War..
War never changes.

Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:
Battosay wrote:That's a pain in the ass ^^

OO OO
OD -O

O- DO
OO OO

That's what I had in mind too. But it is a pain, yeah. The reason I want to do this particular thing in case anyone wonders, is that
Spoiler
Show
This

Looks much better than this

:P
hehe, yeah, in that case you're best of doing the 2x2 tower of dirt, then replace one column at a time with moulding.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I'll be taking a look at the placement of these blocks in the near future, and likely be doing something based on direct line of site (the same way regular blocks are placed).

I'm not a fan of high-tech HUDs in Minecraft as I don't feel they suit the feel of the game one bit. If you look at vanilla, there's not a single block that uses anything even vaguely resembling that.

I tend to evaluate ideas based on merit rather than whether they've been done before. I tend not to provide exact duplicate functionality with other mods though, unless I feel there I can add something significant to what they've done (Rope is a good example of that).
rosstafan

Post by rosstafan »

not sure about the rest of you but the ability to place corners and moulding and the like in the same block space would be nice
i know it would be difficult but it would sure make the system a lot better
The list I could make of all the things this mod is better than.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

rosstafan wrote:not sure about the rest of you but the ability to place corners and moulding and the like in the same block space would be nice
i know it would be difficult but it would sure make the system a lot better
It would also make it use tile entities, or 13 more block IDs. Neither being worth it.
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

FlowerChild wrote:I'm not a fan of high-tech HUDs in Minecraft as I don't feel they suit the feel of the game one bit. If you look at vanilla, there's not a single block that uses anything even vaguely resembling that.
Simple preview (maybe in black outline like the ones you see around the block when you put mouse cursor on it) doesn't seem very high-tech or out of place with regular Minecraft HUD. But in the end it's your mod so final implementation is up to you.