New Release! (BTW V2.97)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V2.97)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 2.97 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added ability to throw Urns, and fire them out of dispensers & Block Dispensers.

-Added ability to convert cobblestone to smoothstone in the Crucible.

-Added ability to turn sand into glass in the Crucible.

-Added ability for the Block Dispenser to pick up and place whole melons.

-Added ability to render rotten flesh into Glue (requires 2 units of flesh).

-Added ability to render chicken and steak into Tallow.

-Added ability to block with ALL the refined tools (Long Sword, Battle Axe. Refined Pick, Refined Shovel) EXCEPT the Refined Hoe (since right-clicking is required for tilling). This should make blocking more interesting as it gives you an option should you be surprised by a monster with a tool other than a weapon in your hand.

-Added ability to fire Broadhead Arrows out of vanilla dispensers.

-Changed the Kiln so that it can be constructed out of 4 brick blocks instead of 5. This means you can now have two sides open on a Kiln to aid in automation. As always, the block at the bottom of the Kiln MUST be brick.

-Changed Cement recipe to be produced in a heated Cauldron, and to consist of 1 block of sand, 1 of gravel, a bucket, and a Soul Urn.

-Changed name of 'Steel' to 'Soulforged Steel'...for real this time :)

-Changed Steel recipe in the Crucible to produce 1 piece of Steel for each piece of iron, Carbon Powder, and Soul Urn. This makes Steel a lot harder to initially produce, but given that you can remelt it indefinitely, is a fair balance IMO and makes it much more satisfying to create your first full set of Steel equipment and encourages automation of the process.

-Changed priority of filament recipe in Cauldron so that Filament are always made first when possible, before converting string into wool.

-Changed the Saw to be able to handle a variety of materials that should prevent it breaking in odd circumstances. This allows it to handle stuff like sawing pumpkins and melons, amongst other things.

-Changed foul food to work on pumkin stems, melon stems, and mushrooms as fertilizer.

-Changed the way the Block Dispenser creates particles when destroying a block, which will hopefully resolve a problem with them hanging around when the BD is used in massive numbers. Let me know if the problem persists.

-Changed the 3D model for the unfired Urn to give it a top.

-Changed recipe for the filament to produce 1 unit instead of 2. Sorry guys, but it was severely devaluing glowstone dust.

-Changed recipe for the filled Planter to no longer include a water bucket so that they can be mass-crafted.

-Changed companion cube being ground in Mill Stone to eject string and red dye only after it has been completely ground down. No more soul-damning string grinding :)

-Changed the name of Polished Lapis to the "Redstone Eye", moved its recipe to the Anvil, and changed the recipe to require 5 pieces of lapis (top and middle rows), one piece of gold (middle square), and one piece of redstone dust (bottom row) to produce 2 eyes.

-Moved the Detector Block recipe to the Anvil.

-Changed the Block Dispenser recipe so that it could only be made on the Anvil.

-Changed the Axe Tweaks to use the Forge tool system and removed the option to disable them from the config file since they should no longer cause incompatibility problems as a result of this change. This should also allow axes from other Forge mods to take advantage of the axe tweaks as well, and be effective on BTW blocks.

-Changed the refined Pick, Shovel, and Battle Axe to all use the Forge tool system. This should extend their usefullness to blocks from other Forge mods (*if* they use the system as well).

-Changed picks to be effective against Siding (both stone and wood since they share the same blockID).

-Changed Refined Pick to be effective on all mod-blocks that normally require a long time to remove (such as the Block Dispenser), and to be effective on some vanilla blocks that function similarly as well (such as the furnace, regular dispenser and stone stairs). Let me know if I missed any.

-Changed axes to be effective against melons and fence gates.

-Changed the refined shovel to be effective on Soul Sand.

-Fixed the hit-box around the 3D model of the unfired Urn to match its shape.

-Fixed problem that caused tanning leather to require 16 normal wood instead of 32, as intended. The process requires 16 dark wood, 32 normal, or 64 birch, given that darker barks generally contain more tannin.

-Fixed problem with the Hopper not handling a large influx of souls properly, and only creating 1 Soul Urn when it should have created more.

-Fixed problem with melon or pumpkin stems growing on planters being able to overwrite occupied neighbouring blocks with the melons they produce.

-Fixed the way Detector Blocks detect arrows to prevent various kinds of odd behavior.

-Fixed problem with not being able to pick up arrows and Broadhead Arrows fired out of a Block Dispenser.

Enjoy :)
AmishGoat

Re: New Release! (BTW V2.97)

Post by AmishGoat »

Wow. Its only been what 2-3 days? Very nice sir!

Edit: And I doubly thank you for the cobble to smooth and the sand to glass in the crucible!
Last edited by AmishGoat on Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trying to destroy the you with a you is futile.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

AmishGoat wrote:Wow. Its only been what 2-3 days? Very nice sir!

Edit: And I doubly thank you for the cobble to smooth and the sand to glass in the crucible!
Actually, it's been 6, but most of that was humming and hawing over PayPal :)
AmishGoat

Post by AmishGoat »

FlowerChild wrote:
AmishGoat wrote:Wow. Its only been what 2-3 days? Very nice sir!

Actually, it's been 6, but most of that was humming and hawing over PayPal :)
I still think its rather impressive.
Edit: So judging by the increasedf use for soul urn the ghast spawning and hopper breaking after 8 hellfire creation is gone for good?
Trying to destroy the you with a you is futile.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

-Changed the refined shovel to be effective on Soul Sand.

This update may have a lot of tweaks and changes, but this one just makes me happy ^.^ fast update as always.

Block dispensers and detector blocks (O_O gold has a use!) being moved to the back end of the age of wood seems perfect imo. Being able to automate various things from the moment they're available always made parts of the tech tree feel a little too experience based; you'd do things manually once, but never again. Good thing I've only just got a windmill going in my current world, as this would make me want to go back to the beginning and try the new tree >.<

no typos either! jk.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Robilar

Post by Robilar »

This update comes with completely perfect timing. I was just about to tear out all my old stairs and replace them with brick stairs, so both the cobble to smoothstone in the crucible (I love you so much right now for that) and the pick tweaks are really awesome. I've been moving my pumpkin and melon production around a lot, since I haven't found a permanent farm location yet, so the foul food working on them is very nice too. Since I was going to work on that farm soon, I'm really glad for the planters, since I personally found the non-stacking buckets fairly tedious.

I realized I was about to post a thank you for basically every bug fix/tweak, so I'm just gonna say that you kick ass and leave it at that.

Thank you greatly FC!
FlowerChild wrote:FUCK MAN! WHAT WE GOING TO DO NOW! WE'RE IN SOME REALLY PRETTY SHIT!!!

<dakka dakka>
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Robilar wrote:...so the foul food working on them is very nice too.
I just had a bit of a brain-fart and read the above as "soul food".

Hmmmm....I think that may have just given me an idea :)
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote:
Robilar wrote:...so the foul food working on them is very nice too.
I just had a bit of a brain-fart and read the above as "soul food".

Hah, i read it the same way, and then had a wtf moment where you said reading it as soul food was a brain fart.
Robilar

Post by Robilar »

FlowerChild wrote:I just had a bit of a brain-fart and read the above as "soul food".

I've wondered if hellfire would make for a good curry or not. At least Steve respawns if it turns out he doesn't like it, right?
FlowerChild wrote:FUCK MAN! WHAT WE GOING TO DO NOW! WE'RE IN SOME REALLY PRETTY SHIT!!!

<dakka dakka>
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Robilar wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:I just had a bit of a brain-fart and read the above as "soul food".

I've wondered if hellfire would make for a good curry or not. At least Steve respawns if it turns out he doesn't like it, right?
Lol, I imagine an auto sprint for 30 seconds, and leaving a trail of fire. Maybe shooting ghast fireballs ^.^ Ever used the curry in super smash bros brawl? Oh yeah.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Tweeks galore, now your just tempting us with each release, making us think that 3.0 has arrived;) Can I ask why the change in polished lapis/redstone eye?

(I will also update the install lists tomorrow)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

walker_boh_65 wrote:Tweeks galore, now your just tempting us with each release, making us think that 3.0 has arrived;) Can I ask why the change in polished lapis/redstone eye?

(I will also update the install lists tomorrow)
Yup, the Detector Block is much better suited to the new age IMO, and thus the new recipe puts it there. Also, the Redstone Eye item will likely be used in another upcoming recipe.

Plus, I've decided that gold will be the standard ingredient I use in anything involving optics in the New Age. The Lens is a good example. The inclusion of the gold in the recipe for the Detector Block is intended to fit in with that concept.
MagusUnion

Post by MagusUnion »

Why the cement change?
I'm not trying to come off as strong as I do. It's hard for me to personally see how I'm affecting others (even in real like).. and it makes me seem more of an ass than I want to be, so I apologize if you find what I say 'a bit rough'...
TheGuy

Post by TheGuy »

Speaking of brain farts. Reading the whole changelog, then opening minecraft to see the changes. Try new cement recipe in a heated and stoked cauldron. Neither works.. Helps if I update the mod first huh
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

Thanks for the constant attention to the mod, FC! Sadly, my comp can't handle Minecraft at the moment. On a different note, will recipes that need to use blocks like the anvil to function (Such as polished lapis) be viewable in the recipe book mod?
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
Thalmane

Post by Thalmane »

Mmm now I have to stop playing and update :\ good job keeping use players on ours toed ;) we never know when you'll update and change things up.

Speaking of changes. The donuts seem kinda nerfed now. 1 flour makes either 1 donut or 1 bread. Bread fills 2 1/2 blips and donuts only fill 1. Is the cost of using coal to make bread a balancing factor?
HavokScout wrote: Sadly, my comp can't handle Minecraft at the moment.
Have you tried the mod "optifine"? It's supposed to help lower end machines run MC. There is a post in offtopic that says it's been updated to forge so compatability issues should hopefully be minimal if any at all.
Last edited by Thalmane on Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheGuy

Post by TheGuy »

-Changed recipe for the filament to produce 1 unit instead of 2. Sorry guys, but it was severely devaluing glowstone dust.
Found a bug. This is true if you use string, but if you use hemp fiber you get 2 still.
OneTripleZero

Post by OneTripleZero »

Excellent. Got a corrupted .jar just now, go to re-download the mods and boom, we're at the next version. Awesome list of changes, makes me happy I built a few detectors yesterday ;)
Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for Humanity - Horace Mann
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

Thalmane wrote:-snag-
I tried opening minecraft in browser, and it gave me the good ol' "Advanced OpenGL" error, but I haven't bothered to check for driver updates yet. I doubt even with the newest drivers that Minecraft will run. 512 megs of RAM only go so far, ya' know?
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
Thalmane

Post by Thalmane »

HavokSCOUT wrote:
Thalmane wrote:-snag-
I tried opening minecraft in browser, and it gave me the good ol' "Advanced OpenGL" error, but I haven't bothered to check for driver updates yet. I doubt even with the newest drivers that Minecraft will run. 512 megs of RAM only go so far, ya' know?
:0 yea that's a problem I do not think any mod or driver update could help :( sorry for your unfortunate circumstances bro
TheGuy

Post by TheGuy »

Most of the major changes to recipes are now updated on the wiki. Let me know if I missed anything recipe wise.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MagusUnion wrote:Why the cement change?
Integration into the tech-tree, plus in this case I'm thinking of balancing it for SMP in the future.

I figure the likelihood of a griefer spending 10 or so hours getting through the tech-tree to get a bucket of cement is rather minimal ;)
TheGuy wrote: Found a bug. This is true if you use string, but if you use hemp fiber you get 2 still.
Thanks for pointing that out. Will fix right away.
Phantum

Post by Phantum »

FlowerChild wrote:
MagusUnion wrote:Why the cement change?
Integration into the tech-tree, plus in this case I'm thinking of balancing it for SMP in the future.

I figure the likelihood of a griefer spending 10 or so hours getting through the tech-tree to get a bucket of cement is rather minimal ;)
The problem with that logic though, is that if someone comes into the server, people are probably gonna have already proceeded into that area of the tech tree, so it's just a matter of them going, using someone else's productions, and griefing that way. (They're demonically brilliant at finding ways around things) :(

If you're doing it through bukkit it would probably be helpful to add a permission node for cement buckets so that it can be limited as to who can use them. (Just a friendly suggestion)

In that regard though, I don't mind the change! This mod, including this update seems to add an even more realistic "RP" element to the progression of game play.

Thanks! :D
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Phantum
Fallen Sun Gaming Administrator
-It's not about what you've got, it's what you make of what you've got.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

phantum wrote: The problem with that logic though, is that if someone comes into the server, people are probably gonna have already proceeded into that area of the tech tree, so it's just a matter of them going, using someone else's productions, and griefing that way. (They're demonically brilliant at finding ways around things) :(
Yup, I hear you, but keep in mind that beyond griefing, for legitimate players, Cement will also be a hugely powerful weapon, which is also where the SMP balance issues come in.

Plus, at the very least, it does require a griefer to have a good understanding of how the mod works, track down the required materials, cook the pottery, fire the kiln, etc. and requires the use of a stationary emplacement to create. It may not be perfect, but it's not as easy to be sure.

But yes, I doubt I'll put out an SMP version without putting in a sever-option for disabling cement.
fullsailor

Post by fullsailor »

Love the balance adjustments that you have been making since 2.95. I started a new world with 1.8.1 And I've been entertained for hours trying to work my way up the tech tree. Almost to steel! :D

Not sure if this is a new bug or not (just encountered), but when I destroy a Turntable with stone tools it destroys the Turntable. Intentional?

Thanks