Plans for animal breeding in 1.9

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
bmanfoley

Plans for animal breeding in 1.9

Post by bmanfoley »

With 1.9 coming out eventually, and the inclusion of animal breeding, I recently considered something.

The current method of initiating animal breeding is right clicking an animal with wheat. To follow suit with one of the "tweaks" this mod provides, feeding wolves via dropped items, will the same principle be applied to breeding? Will it be too overpowered in automatic farming? Personally, with the new passive mob spawning algorithm, and also considering the "cooldown" animals need in between breeding (as of 1.9 pre-release 3), I don't see it being too overpowered. I still think it's up for debate, and thus I'm posting this topic in the discussion board, rather than suggestions. If suggestions would be the more proper place to post this, I'd appreciate it if a mod would move the thread for me :3
Stormweaver

Re: Plans for animal breeding in 1.9

Post by Stormweaver »

Well...I doubt we're going to see a stable release before the official '1.0' is released, going by the twitter. So as much fun as theorycrafting about it is...mojang is going to have at least 5 weeks to keep tweaking the system before I expect to see the mod updated to it. Lots can change in 5 weeks - assuming mojang actually do work on existing game content in that time.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

The latest tweets suggest that there will be no 1.9 release, they've added too much content to test it properly before the content freeze on the 18th, instead they'll just keep doing beta 1.9 pre releases till the full 1.0 release, so unless it happens in the next week, they aren't going to change it I expect.

FC did say he wanted to hold off on another BTW release till 1.9 was released (which may not happen now), but I expect he is looking into animal breeding changes such as this already.

As to the automatic farming, there is another thread for this already.
Roablin

Post by Roablin »

Hey yeah...

Is feeding wolves going to heal them and put them in love mode?

At any rate, breeding should b a much better way to get companion cubes, and at length, carpets =D.
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

I would assume that Flower will add something of the kind if this is the final breeding system.
However, given the rapid-fire updates, this may just be a sort of place holder for some kind of more in-depth system.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.