question about future of detector blocks

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Rugaard

question about future of detector blocks

Post by Rugaard »

FlowerChild wrote: Actually, you can no longer make a BD before you have soul sand since I reorganized the tech tree to put the BD in the "New Age" in the last release (and no, it can't use buckets). I'll probably be doing the same to the DB as well with this next release, as I've decided these kinds of advanced redstone gizmos are much better suited to the new tech level I'm working up to.
so detector blocks will be moved to a later age? if it does get moved will we have to suffer with having the gearboxes connected to the windmill breaking till we manage to get the DB or will you come up with a different way to detect rain?
Gilberreke

Re: question about future of detector blocks

Post by Gilberreke »

Rugaard wrote:
FlowerChild wrote: Actually, you can no longer make a BD before you have soul sand since I reorganized the tech tree to put the BD in the "New Age" in the last release (and no, it can't use buckets). I'll probably be doing the same to the DB as well with this next release, as I've decided these kinds of advanced redstone gizmos are much better suited to the new tech level I'm working up to.
so detector blocks will be moved to a later age? if it does get moved will we have to suffer with having the gearboxes connected to the windmill breaking till we manage to get the DB or will you come up with a different way to detect rain?
Place a switch on the gearbox. Rain starts, pull switch. Tadaaa!

It's a bit of manual work until you get up the tech tree, but there's really no reason to let em break.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Rugaard

Post by Rugaard »

not exactly easy when im not in my base all the time and its more difficult since it tends to rain once every day on my maps : /

though i probably could live with an increased survival time for the gearbox
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

meh, gearboxes are easy enough to replace. Wiring them so they don't break has always been more of a convenience than a necessity imo.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Rugaard wrote:so detector blocks will be moved to a later age? if it does get moved will we have to suffer with having the gearboxes connected to the windmill breaking till we manage to get the DB or will you come up with a different way to detect rain?
Very interesting point man, I'm not sure FC thought about that.
Waiting for his words :)
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Rugaard wrote:
Personally I like the idea of going from completely manual hand crank to MOSTLY automatic with the windmill. We still have to flick a switch to protect it from rain, and if we don't there is a small cost associated with it. We'll still easily progress up the tech tree though, since it won't be raining all that often compared to the amount of time you'll be able to mill things.

I like the idea of having to spend 100% of my time caring for my milling to only 5% caring about the rain, as opposed to 0%.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote: Very interesting point man, I'm not sure FC thought about that.
Yup, I've thought about that one a lot actually. The ability to detect rain was why in the previous update I wound up just requiring the Cauldron to make the Detector Block.

However, in the end, having the functionality of the block fit the overall tech-level is more important to me in this case, as the Detector Block is feeling distinctly out of place where it is now (not to mention that I'm not very keen on the polished lapis recipe). The way things are right now, the mod gives you a problem (the Wind Mills overpowering in the rain), and *immediately* gives you the solution to that problem instead of having you work up to it.

Yes, you're going to have to manually shut down your Wind Mills to avoid breakage until you reach the New Age. As I start to flesh out the New Age, I think you'll see what I mean about the DB not fitting the old properly.

I tested this out in my most recent playthrough of the mod, and you just have to get yourself in the habit of powering down your Gear Box whenever you're leaving your Mill unattended. At this stage of tech, you're generally not performing any automated farming or what have you, so it's rather easy to power up your machine when you want to work with it, then turn it off afterwards.
Mason11987 wrote:I like the idea of having to spend 100% of my time caring for my milling to only 5% caring about the rain, as opposed to 0%.
Yup, that's exactly what I'm talking about above with the immediate solution bit.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

I think FC is right, my basic understanding of the mod is that as you progress through the stages of the tech tree, there are more opportunities to automate your machines. We should not think of this as a step back, more a changing of the tech tree to suit the current tech level of Steve.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Rugaard

Post by Rugaard »

Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Yup, I've thought about that one a lot actually. The ability to detect rain was why in the previous update I wound up just requiring the Cauldron to make the Detector Block.

However, in the end, having the functionality of the block fit the overall tech-level is more important to me in this case, as the Detector Block is feeling distinctly out of place where it is now (not to mention that I'm not very keen on the polished lapis recipe). The way things are right now, the mod gives you a problem (the Wind Mills overpowering in the rain), and *immediately* gives you the solution to that problem instead of having you work up to it.

Yes, you're going to have to manually shut down your Wind Mills to avoid breakage until you reach the New Age. As I start to flesh out the New Age, I think you'll see what I mean about the DB not fitting the old properly.

I tested this out in my most recent playthrough of the mod, and you just have to get yourself in the habit of powering down your Gear Box whenever you're leaving your Mill unattended. At this stage of tech, you're generally not performing any automated farming or what have you, so it's rather easy to power up your machine when you want to work with it, then turn it off afterwards.
Mason11987 wrote:I like the idea of having to spend 100% of my time caring for my milling to only 5% caring about the rain, as opposed to 0%.
Yup, that's exactly what I'm talking about above with the immediate solution bit.
I see, never occurred to me to actually turn it off when i go mining, now to figure out how to rig it up without redpower
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Rugaard wrote:
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:
Spoiler
Show

I see, never occurred to me to actually turn it off when i go mining, now to figure out how to rig it up without redpower
Lever attached to gearbox :)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Rugaard wrote:
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:
Spoiler
Show

Lever attached to an upwards-facing piston with 12 blocks of sand on top, with redstone dust next to the gearbox and a repeater facing where the sand should be.

This is why wiring without redpower is fun.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Stormweaver wrote:Lever attached to an upwards-facing piston with 12 blocks of sand on top, with redstone dust next to the gearbox and a repeater facing where the sand should be.

Or just, you know, lever on gearbox, like I suggested and was then suggested by Mason :p
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Gilberreke wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:Lever attached to an upwards-facing piston with 12 blocks of sand on top, with redstone dust next to the gearbox and a repeater facing where the sand should be.

Or just, you know, lever on gearbox, like I suggested and was then suggested by Mason :p
You people have no sense of creativity.

^.^
Rugaard

Post by Rugaard »

Stormweaver wrote:
Rugaard wrote:
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:
Spoiler
Show

Lever attached to an upwards-facing piston with 12 blocks of sand on top, with redstone dust next to the gearbox and a repeater facing where the sand should be.

nice idea, i was thinking of using a rs ladder
Mason11987 wrote:
Rugaard wrote:
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:
Spoiler
Show

Lever attached to gearbox :)
sure if i wanted to climb my tower to get to it and it would be easier to remember to turn it off if the lever is next to the entrance
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Eh, Lever that runs up with a column of block redstone torch alternating? I mean vertical wiring is a staple of vMC

Then run the output with some redstone dust on top of the first gearbox and you're golden. When you do get a detector block just put it above that gear facing up.

War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Stormweaver wrote: Lever attached to an upwards-facing piston with 12 blocks of sand on top, with redstone dust next to the gearbox and a repeater facing where the sand should be.

Wow, that's awesome! Yeah, it is sometimes hard to admit when there are easier ways to do things, but limitations really do induce creativity!
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I actually skip the need for a detector block by always building my first windmill in the nether. I can usually grab a couple dozen iron and five to eight stacks of cobble by the time all the hemp needed for sails has grown from the initial dozen or so plants. It's not at all difficult to do and when I've finished building a couple of waterwheels, I turn it into my nether material processing shop.
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote:I actually skip the need for a detector block by always building my first windmill in the nether. I can usually grab a couple dozen iron and five to eight stacks of cobble by the time all the hemp needed for sails has grown from the initial dozen or so plants. It's not at all difficult to do and when I've finished building a couple of waterwheels, I turn it into my nether material processing shop.
Hehe...nice workaround. I like it :)

A desert is of course another option if you have one nearby.