Annoying and repetitive task ?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Battosay

Annoying and repetitive task ?

Post by Battosay »

Just wondering what you guys (and ladies!) find anoying and repetitive in Minecraft ?
What task seems tedious and boring, yet needed, in the game ?
M!C

Re: Annoying and repetitive task ?

Post by M!C »

Mining blocks? ;)
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

Maybe it's just my compulsive need to restart my worlds regularly that causes this, but I've gotten so annoyed with chopping down trees recently.

It only makes matters worse that I seem to get the massive 'elephant man' trees more often from bonemeal now. I usually just give them a name and say fuck all to cutting them down.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
ilovekintoki

Post by ilovekintoki »

Making mobtraps.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Hollowing out rooms. It's one of the main reasons I've started building my bases above ground now since securing a perimeter is way easier than having to hollow out tons of empty rooms for all contraptions.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Tsugumi Henduluin

Post by Tsugumi Henduluin »

KWilt wrote:Maybe it's just my compulsive need to restart my worlds regularly that causes this, but I've gotten so annoyed with chopping down trees recently.
That's where the "Timber!" mod comes in. I can't even imagine playing without it anymore.

But as for me, most annoying task? I actually like the whole gathering materials aspect of the game, but the waiting that is often required can get on my nerves a bit. Mining obsidian is a prime example... I therefor pour most of my obsidian these days, it's a lot more fun to do.
Waiting for your furnaces to finish doing there thing can be pretty annoying too.

But other than that? Not much. If, for some reason, things do get annoying, it's usually a signal I need to take a break and play something else for a while.
Glox

Post by Glox »

Definately mining. At first i liked it, but now it's just a stupid repetetive but necessairy task. Impossible to automate too unlike cutting trees for example. Cave systems make it feel less like an endless robotic task, but they are huge mazes where i get lost and there seem to be creepers behind each corner. + after a short while mining your inventory is full with so much crap, it gets really annoying. I'm so glad the crucible is here to recycle tools and the massive amount of rails you find in mineshafts as of 1.8.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Honestly? handcranking hemp I don't really find much as being repetitive at all.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

Actually, i've got to second Handcranking hemp. It's frigging annoying, doubly so now that it starves you as you do it - it's just mind-numbing, really, even doing it a bit at a time. Mining Obsidan is defintely the other big "...Ugh." - I suspect i'll end up building myself a Block-Dispenser based Obsidan "Collector" so that i can gather it that way in my current world.

And yes, if you hate cutting down trees, the Timber! mod is fantastic.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

For me it's probably organizing my inventory and chests to my liking. Hoppers make this easier, doing some of the pre-sorting for me, but they still can't do it the way I like.

I actually like the mining of blocks. Mining is mindless and relaxing for me.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

I hate having to put things into furnaces, it's the most tedious thing there is.
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

Battosay wrote:Just wondering what you guys (and ladies!) find anoying and repetitive in Minecraft ?
What task seems tedious and boring, yet needed, in the game ?
In my case, that would be mining Obsidian. God I hate mining that stuff, but I like building portal networks.
FlowerChild took care of my other annoyances.
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

logorouge wrote:In my case, that would be mining Obsidian. God I hate mining that stuff, but I like building portal networks.
Well, in the case of Obsidian, you can pour it into moulds, plus the mod makes it possible to build Obsidian generators as well. I probably shouldn't do anything further to it, lest I nerf it as a defensive measure in SMP by doing something like making Steel tools effective against it :)
Rugaard

Post by Rugaard »

Sitting infront of a cobble generator mining cobblestone on the skyblock map
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

Rugaard wrote:Sitting infront of a cobble generator mining cobblestone on the skyblock map
Oh god, that drove me crazy... so I starting cheating instead. Change hit/mine to the spacebar. Fill hotbar with pickaxes. Set something heavy on spacebar.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

That's as much cheating as is sitting at the collector end of a mob trap and going to sleep IRL XD
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Rugaard

Post by Rugaard »

heh yea, at the moment im trying to get enough resources so i can build a quarry from buildcraft, but damn it takes a lot to get diamonds from EE
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

FlowerChild wrote:
logorouge wrote:In my case, that would be mining Obsidian. God I hate mining that stuff, but I like building portal networks.
Well, in the case of Obsidian, you can pour it into moulds, plus the mod makes it possible to build Obsidian generators as well. I probably shouldn't do anything further to it, lest I nerf it as a defensive measure in SMP by doing something like making Steel tools effective against it :)
I actually do the redstone obsidian generator glitch with BDs set up next to it. I have yet to automate it though.

I've been playing with Equivalent exchange and BTW lately and it's great fun. =D

Oh and for most tedious task? Getting all of my initial farms set up (especially hemp) takes forever to start getting good results.

But, I do like the fact that once you get a good amount of hemp going you feel more satisfied from having to wait that long to get it.
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

FlowerChild wrote: Well, in the case of Obsidian, you can pour it into moulds, plus the mod makes it possible to build Obsidian generators as well. I probably shouldn't do anything further to it, lest I nerf it as a defensive measure in SMP by doing something like making Steel tools effective against it :)
Oh yeah, you're right... I should have thought about good old BD. Bah, I blame my fever. Makes thinking clearly a lot more difficult.
I guess that means there's nothing tedious or boring left in Minecraft for me!
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Hello everyone ^^

In vMC the most tedious thing ever is hollowing out large areas underground. Mind numbing.

Also inventory management is quite tedious,especially if you are as chaotic as I am.

In BtW gameplay, I found handcranking enough hemp to get a windmill up and running so tedious I will invedit it from now on whenever I start a new world.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

I used to hate dealing with my inventory too. Then I found this: Inventory Tweaks
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Trying to "debug" your redstone creations and laying redstone dust, especially trying to hide it in an area which I have got looking nice, nothing as demoralising as tearing it up again! Worse still if you want to run wiring between floors and you have to raise the building by 2 blocks to create that gap - tonnes of work for such a small gain. I am seriously considering Redpower at this point, just to ease those issues!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Trying to dig out the area to hide your wiring, is there any worse then not digging out enough room?
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Breaking block dispensers. The damned things (as of the latest release, the adjective is literal) may make pretty much any redstone/mechanical system work amazingly, but put them in the wrong place or the wrong orientation...bloody nightmare.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
DocLazy

Post by DocLazy »

Mining redstone blocks and obsidian. Although it fun to set up a minecart system to haul hundreds of buckets of lava to your obsidian project. Exploring caves for ores can get quite tedious after a while. Apart from that I like mining/digging it gives me time to think and can be quite relaxing.

The redstone system annoys the hell out of me, just because it takes up so much space and some of the ways it works is just a pain.