BTW and 1.9

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Damion Rayne

BTW and 1.9

Post by Damion Rayne »

Any ideas for 1.9 stuff FC? With the whole potions, and enchanting stuff? Just curious if you have any plans on how to implement and use these new "features" in conjunction with BTW. If course, a "none ya buisness" is fine, just curious, :)
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
"Teamwork, Maturity, Tactics, http://www.tacticalgamer.com"
BinoAl

Re: BTW and 1.9

Post by BinoAl »

I'm curious if steel will have any special properties when enchanted. I think gold will :)
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

BinoAl wrote:I'm curious if steel will have any special properties when enchanted. I think gold will :)
If enchanting gold gear increased the durability and speed I could see gold tools and armor being used for more then..well...not being used at all. Diamond would be superior for extended outings, still. At least in vMC
SCIENCE!
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

I'd like to see enchanting getting told to GTFO and never comeback. Minecraft is becoming a cheap knock off of TES.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Brethern wrote:I'd like to see enchanting getting told to GTFO and never comeback. Minecraft is becoming a cheap knock off of TES.
I'm not anti-enchanting, but I read somewhere that all armour and weapons would be nerfed a bit to allow room for enchanting to improve them, this may just be hearsay though so don't quote me, it might just have been a misinterpretation of the fact that the health of all the enemy mobs has been re-balanced (endermen and zombies now have more health, cave-spiders less health).
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

Random, unidentifiable enchantments that cost exp levels have nothing to do with the controlled, calculated enchantments that cost only money and resources.

Why TES? It isn't the only game with Enchantment and Potions. Why can't minecraft be ripping off WoW, or Rift? You can make potions in Ragnarok Online, they could be stealing it from them! Harry Potter had a lot to do with Enchanted junk and Potion baffonary, too.

Now that you mention it, Middle Earth had BOTH of those things! And those are based off of real-life alchemy and medicine! Magically enchanted items are prominent features of almost every major myth and legend!

That nefarious beared bastard is ripping off REAL LIFE!

No, seriously, Bethesda didn't invent alchemy and magic. Come on.

edit: Flowerchild's Windmills are totally ripping off the Dutch, though. That's the only logical argument. >_>
Last edited by Magmarashi on Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCIENCE!
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

To me, it only adds new systems to explore, new possibility for modders (FC, I'm looking at you ^^) and some more fun.
Can't think of any bad aspect.
That's probably one of the less futile thing they've been working on lately to me, if you don't take into account how much time they spent on it.
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

If the number of potions we can make turns out to be anywhere NEAR what Mojang is saying it might be, then I could easily see ROWS of brewing stands each testing different combinations of potions. Though I think they'll need to get rid of cauldrons completely before release since they're only blocking the transition from water to potion.

As far as the integration of some of these features with BTW... With a renewed focus on the nether, I'm glad we've got planters. It seems that if Steve wants to be as efficient as he can be, he'll need to move into the Nether as a main base of operations. Steel, Potions, Light-Blocks, Hibachis... So much of what will make 1.9 worth playing is going to be in that hellish dimension.

Although I would like to say jesustapdancingchrist! ENDER-DRAGONS. Granted, they look more like normal dragons rather than some lovecraftian mindbeast from another dimension, but still!

MagusUnion

Post by MagusUnion »

Triskelli wrote: Although I would like to say jesustapdancingchrist! ENDER-DRAGONS. Granted, they look more like normal dragons rather than some lovecraftian mindbeast from another dimension, but still!
While I love dragons in any game... I just want to say I don't want to play blockRPGcraft...

I mean... What if I have to gun that thing down with a mining laser as I'm trying to breed sheep? Awkward...

But also. what if I have to enchant Nano-Armor? Or give fire resistance to my Geothermal generator?

Suddenly I feel my immersion level in minecraft taking a hit with all of this...
I'm not trying to come off as strong as I do. It's hard for me to personally see how I'm affecting others (even in real like).. and it makes me seem more of an ass than I want to be, so I apologize if you find what I say 'a bit rough'...
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

^Well keep in mind that by using stuff like Industrialcraft and Buildcraft, you're not really playing Minecraft anymore but a variation of it. It's more like you're playing two separate games at the same time.

Also, it's not certain if those are going to pop up in the normal world: As far as we know right now, they only show up in a new dimension called the Ender, which is where endermen and these dragons come from.

Honestly, I think that 1.9 has more elements that work well with BTW than work against it. Snow Golems, actual villagers, and a whole new dimension of nether-based magic either coincide with or enhance already existing elements of Better Than Wolves. Though I still think the snow-golem needs some new artwork, because the way he looks right now is a little silly.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

MagusUnion wrote:I mean... What if I have to gun that thing down with a mining laser as I'm trying to breed sheep? Awkward...

But also. what if I have to enchant Nano-Armor? Or give fire resistance to my Geothermal generator?
Mining laser ? Nano Armor ? Geothermal generator ?
That's already not Minecraft.

If you can already use things like that in Minecraft, without having the feeing that's it's completely weird and doesn't fit the rest of the game, I fail to see how dragons can be that weird.
Runesmith

Post by Runesmith »

Triskelli wrote: Though I still think the snow-golem needs some new artwork, because the way he looks right now is a little silly.
I thought the same thing the first time I saw Notch's Herp-derp texture for the Snow-man. In fact, I still think that when looking at the skins from other texture packs. I'm not bashing Notch here; he's a talented guy who made an inovative game, but pixel art is NOT his niche.

I made this skin for the Snowman to make it more mystically bad ass: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=2be43298 ... &sc=photos

I know, it has no arms, but I hated those stupid-looking twigs.

Also, I apologize for not giving a direct picture of it. Can anyone suggest a good method of storing images so that I can directly put them into a post?
"First immortality... then the bitches."
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Imageshack
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Magmarashi wrote:edit: Flowerchild's Windmills are totally ripping off the Dutch, though. That's the only logical argument. >_>
At some point in their life, one in every twelve children will be abducted by the dutch.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

Battosay wrote:
MagusUnion wrote:I mean... What if I have to gun that thing down with a mining laser as I'm trying to breed sheep? Awkward...

If you can already use things like that in Minecraft, without having the feeing that's it's completely weird and doesn't fit the rest of the game, I fail to see how dragons can be that weird.
Yeah you're right,

It's better than minecraft. It's what minecraft should be. Hur dur look at me I can dig a hole and build a block tower.

That's nice I'm going to go back to finding out the most efficient way for me to automate my production of hellfire while rigging a system that with detonate if another player get's to close to my stuff.
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

Brethern wrote:
Battosay wrote:

Yeah you're right,

It's better than minecraft. It's what minecraft should be. Hur dur look at me I can dig a hole and build a block tower.

That's nice I'm going to go back to finding out the most efficient way for me to automate my production of hellfire while rigging a system that with detonate if another player get's to close to my stuff.
Hmm~
SCIENCE!
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

I think this is derailing a bit too much....
DocLazy

Post by DocLazy »

I have to agree enchanting is a bad fit for Minecraft, simply because combat is such a weak part of the game. Alchemy on the other hand makes more sense, since it's based on crafting and resource collecting. It's a nice way to introduce a magic system that fits into the game.
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

Being able to throw the poison or weakness potions would be nice
SCIENCE!
Runesmith

Post by Runesmith »

jorgebonafe wrote:Imageshack
Thanks Jorge, that helps considerably.

Here's the Snowman Image:
Spoiler
Show
"First immortality... then the bitches."
MagusUnion

Post by MagusUnion »

Battosay wrote:

That's partly my point... Minecraft, at base, is a SANDBOX game... meaning it can deviate from this base and alter the play style with mods (such as BTW and IC^2), and still feel like those extra editions belong in said environment...

Now, it's looking like Minecraft is going to shift to purely an RPG based game with 'boss mobs' 'potions' and 'levels of experience'... meaning that modding around said design is going to be a tab bit more difficult...

(But at the same time, I could humorously see IC^2 and such becoming like Mass Effect with the whole leveling system... lol)
I'm not trying to come off as strong as I do. It's hard for me to personally see how I'm affecting others (even in real like).. and it makes me seem more of an ass than I want to be, so I apologize if you find what I say 'a bit rough'...
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

In an attempt to save this topic before it derails completly:

I've been recently playing a 1.8.1 world alot with the 1.9.p3 client. I started building my usual house and prepared it to be used later with BTW, which usually means a huge 3 floored production area to build the various contraptions for semi-automation. Each floor is - for good measurement - 4 blocks high, which means there is plenty of space for endermen to teleport into it. Everytime it turns night a few of these bastards spawn and as soon as it turns day they teleport themselves to savety by invading my house. While this is already annoying, as hunting them down is a pain in the ass, they tend to carry stuff like dirt with them which in turn they tend to drop inside my house later. So in the end I have always a few dirt blocks lying around my house which I then have to dispose of.

Now I wonder if there could be an item/block/entity that prevents them from spawning close by or disables their ability to teleport into your home, maybe just drives them instantly out again. My problem is, even if it is possible to write code that does work for something like that w/o rewriting half the base classes, would there be a BTW-ish tech solution that wouldn't rely purely on beeing magic ? I mean setting up a voodoo shrine is probably the simple soltion but it doesn't exactly fit the btw tech stlye imho.

TL;DR: Endermen are annoying as dung, any BTW way to get rid of them inside my house w/o building 2 meter high cartbox shelters?
Last edited by Haidaes on Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
JWA

Post by JWA »

Some sort of Faraday cage to block their teleporting perhaps? Of course that fits in more with the hightech mods than btw. As far as a potions solution, a invisibility potion is an obvious choice if they don't already have it.
Glox

Post by Glox »

Maybe you could build a water gate in your house that floods it if you're not there? They don't teleport into water.
Thieme

Post by Thieme »

Fracture wrote:
Magmarashi wrote:edit: Flowerchild's Windmills are totally ripping off the Dutch, though. That's the only logical argument. >_>
At some point in their life, one in every twelve children will be abducted by the dutch.
I is going to steal your children! ^^
MagusUnion wrote: That's partly my point... Minecraft, at base, is a SANDBOX game... meaning it can deviate from this base and alter the play style with mods (such as BTW and IC^2), and still feel like those extra editions belong in said environment...

Now, it's looking like Minecraft is going to shift to purely an RPG based game with 'boss mobs' 'potions' and 'levels of experience'... meaning that modding around said design is going to be a tab bit more difficult...

(But at the same time, I could humorously see IC^2 and such becoming like Mass Effect with the whole leveling system... lol)
Well after ranting today at Notch here at home i got a lecture from my roommate that apparently this is what Notch's intentions have always been. To make minecraft more RPG'ish. Crazy bastard reads Notch and Jeb's twitter and god knows what more. To me it kinda made sense so as far as i see it now, Notch needed a good terrain generator. The terrain generator has so many different algorithms he can't possible bug test it himself so he makes a few blocks and mobs etc. to make us explore and bug test the world generator for him. Now that is mostly finished he is turning work to the RPG side of minecraft he always intended.

So yeah little disclaimer i am to lazy to read Notch and Jeb's twitter and stuff so this is just what i heard and it sounds plausible. I just really really don't agree with Notch. For him this design solution really pays off but for the people he attracted to the game for the building part it is kinda sucky. I just think well luckily we have mods like this one :D <3 Flower

Also to be a bit on topic i think that Flower will try to integrate a lot of the new vmc stuff in vanilla if it is worth the effort and that will then probably also depend on Mojang's coding of all the stuff. While i wouldn't mind if he would rip out potions all together i know he won't :( Also i dread to think what resource he has to come up to make it worth going to the enderworld ^^

O yeah @ Haidaes I used a Enderman don't pick up blocks mod for that on my lan server. That reminds me i have to see if it is updated for pre-3. At least something to repel them would be awesome, because i have had numerous time that one just teleports right in front of my eyes thus me automatically staring and he killing me :/